HRM question..

Options
can you wear your hrm just to track how many calories you burn walking? Just got mine yesterday, all I know is it will beep at my every 5 seconds if my heart rate isnt where it should be, so Im guessing walking with it will be REALLY annoying...

Replies

• remaho80
    remaho80 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You can. I took a walk with the family a couple of nights ago and just silenced it. :smile:
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You can wear it if your walk is your intended workout. HRM's aren't recommended for wearing all day though for some reason? Someone else might be able to chime on in that.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Totally - and on most you can switch off the beeps.....
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Totally - and on most you can switch off the beeps.....
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. My HRM has a way to turn off the beeping so I am sure yours does too. Just play with the settings until you find it. I worn one for a few days straight just to see what my average normal calorie burn was during the day without exercise.
  • northernlights907
    Options
    Ohh okay thanks guys!:)
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You can wear it if your walk is your intended workout. HRM's aren't recommended for wearing all day though for some reason? Someone else might be able to chime on in that.

I think it's because the battery will wear out faster. Unless, of course there is another reason that I'm not awre of. I know with my Polar, the instructions recommend that you unsnap the monitor from the strap when not in use to preserve battery life.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I've done plenty of exercises where my heart rate stayed under the "radar" for a while, like yoga, or begining stretches to videos or even doing strength training. Like others have said, you should be able to silence the beeping so it keeps tracking without being annoying. In fact, I always keep mine on silent now and just look at it every now and then to see where I stand! You would be surprised though, my heart rate numbers and some of my biggest calorie burns have come from walks around my neighborhood pushing a stroller with slight hills here and there.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options

A heart rate monitor estimates calories during physical activity like running, rowing and cycling by using a complex formula: heart rate during physical activity x some personal information = calories. However, it doesn't calculate calorie burn accurately when you're not exercising. And because people generally spend only about 25% of their day being physically active, you won't get a complete picture of your daily calorie usage. (taken from http://www.kiperformance.co.uk/ - UK BodyMedia Fit website)
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. My HRM has a way to turn off the beeping so I am sure yours does too. Just play with the settings until you find it. I worn one for a few days straight just to see what my average normal calorie burn was during the day without exercise.

Would they be very accurate to use all day? I always thought they wouldn't be for some reason. I'm getting a polar ft7 with a strap and it would be cool to do that!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The thing with wearing it all day is that you're pretty much just getting a reading on your normal daily activities - and those calories are already accounted for in what MFP gives us. You'll get a bunch of different answers on what really counts for exercise but I would say anything beyond your normal daily activities.

A sedentary person like myself will walk around a bit during the day but not a whole lot. While I don't count things like cleaning and cooking, because they are part of my normal routine and nothing that really gets my heart rate up (well, not normal cleaning anyway), I do count walks and runs outdoor and have it running the whole time I'm at the gym regardless of whether I'm doing cardio or weights.

That was probably more info than you needed and mostly my personal take on the whole thing - but I hope it helps anyway.

P.S - edited to add - if your heart rate is so low that the machine is beeping, why not kick it up a notch by walking faster and pumping your arms, or even jogging a bit? Not sure what your fitness level is but it's something to think about.