weights for women

Options
Is it ok for women to use heavy weights and if so how heavy should they be?

Replies

• thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. You should shoot for weights that are challenging at 3 sets of 8-12 reps. There's some variation on this, but this is what I use. Therefor,e depending on how strong you are, yes, heavier weights are fine. It's a complete myth that heavy weights cause women to bulk up, if that's your fear. We don't have the testosterone levels necessary to bulk up, which isn't that easy even if you do!

Feel free to try for heavier weights, just be careful and make sure you find what's right for you!

(Another good rule is to lift approximately 70% of your maximum weight, which is the heaviest weight you can lift one time).
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. You should shoot for weights that are challenging at 3 sets of 8-12 reps. There's some variation on this, but this is what I use. Therefor,e depending on how strong you are, yes, heavier weights are fine. It's a complete myth that heavy weights cause women to bulk up, if that's your fear. We don't have the testosterone levels necessary to bulk up, which isn't that easy even if you do!

Feel free to try for heavier weights, just be careful and make sure you find what's right for you!

(Another good rule is to lift approximately 70% of your maximum weight, which is the heaviest weight you can lift one time).

I agree with this post.

Women are always fearful of bulking up - unless you're taking supplements, you won't bulk up. We have estrogen vs testosterone to prevent us from getting "bulky".

I would start with smaller weights and move up slowly.
  • fitnessGETZeasy
    fitnessGETZeasy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love this article regarding weight lifting and women.

http://fitbottomedgirls.com/2011/06/why-heavy-weights-are-the-bomb-diggity/
  • fitnessGETZeasy
    fitnessGETZeasy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    And another....Can you tell I'm a huge proponent for heavy lifting? ;-)

http://www.angrytrainerfitness.com/2010/10/women-and-weights/
  • lulusmom
    lulusmom Posts: 71
    Options
    I lift as heavy as I can, keeping proper form and doing between 8-12 reps (closer to 12 on the first set and closer to 8 on the second and third set). For me that means 10-20 lb dumbells.