Water weight

Options
Hi all, I'm pretty new here. Set a start date of 6/1. Found this site and logged what I ate the 2 days prior and my eyes almost popped out of my head. At ~3K calories per day, no wonder I am where I am!

I weighed myself midday on my grandma's scale over Memorial weekend and weighed in at 224.2, fully clothed. I weighed myself last night, sans clothes, and was at 218.2, so a loss of 6 lbs. I know some was clothes, and I imagine some was water weight. My question is, can water weight and clothes account for all of it, or did I likely actually lose a pound in there?

Replies

• Brittany1414
    Options
    I would start weighing yourself right in the morning ..before your eat or do anything .....same time everyday and with out your clothes on.
    That will tell you what you exactly weigh...I started doing that and things started looking more consistant :smile:
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yes, clothes and water weight can make that much of a difference. Weigh your self first thing in the morning, after you pee but before you eat or drink anything.
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It is really hard to say. There could also be a difference in the calibration of the two scales. I know when I've weighed myself on different scales, I got different readings. I've also seen a 7 lbs difference between clothed and sans clothes on the same scale. Also, if you weighed yourself during different times of day you can see a fluctuation.
  • shaundam
    shaundam Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I wake up, I use the bathroom and walk straight to the scale. This is my daily routine. I know exactly where I'm at. I weigh without clothes so I don't play mind games with myself. I am good at that lol
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I agree with Brittany. I keep a log of my weight every Monday. I write down the date and the time. I try to weigh in at the same time within 30 minutes. I jump in the shower before breakfast and weigh in nekkid! I've seen a steady downward pattern. It took me about 3 weeks to level out. Don't be surprised if the next time you weigh in you have a small gain. Good luck!
  • LaurieBLouise
    LaurieBLouise Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    hard to tell, girlie. best bet is to do what everyone said above. weigh yourself ONCE A WEEK (resist the urge to do more, your weight changes with fluctuation in exercise, salt intake, water intake, hormones, and did I mention HORMONES? lol), and first thing in the morning, before eating, after using the bathroom and without your clothes. good luck!!
  • sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    I am a firm believer that any weight off counts. I weigh the same time every week ( Wednesdays at 11am). Just pick a time and be consistent, on the same scales. Good luck.
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    Take the clothes you were wearing that day and weigh them, just to see what you get. I do that sometimes. A kitchen scale works perfect.

Water weight is something that just happens. *sigh* Two weeks ago, I weighed in and only lost 1 pound. :cry: I knew I was retaining water though (ankles were swollen, felt sluggish), so I really focused on reducing my sodium and eating potassium rich foods everyday. It seems to be working for me, because I was down 6 pounds at yesterdays weight in. Hopefully it's under control now and I'll go back to my usual 2-3 lbs lost per week.

Water weight is a total possibility for you, but I really wouldn't sweat it. Six pounds off is 6 pounds off! woo! Watch your calories, get regular exercise and keep your electrolytes (sodium/potassium) in check to avoid the water weight.

Like Brittany said... weigh yourself first thing in the morning with no clothes on (I do it after my first visit to the bathroom :wink: ). That will keep all of the conditions the same one week to the next.

Good luck!!
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    and keep your electrolytes (sodium/potassium) in check to avoid the water weight.

So question in regards to this, how much water is too much? I probably drink 12-14 8oz. servings on a regular day. Today it's 103' and I exercised during my lunch break, so my water consumption is up over 18 8oz glasses.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Well, I weighed myself this morning using all of your tips and came in at 214.2, which would be a 10 lb loss in 11 days, so maybe my start weight was a little off. At least I know where I am going from here.
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    and keep your electrolytes (sodium/potassium) in check to avoid the water weight.

So question in regards to this, how much water is too much? I probably drink 12-14 8oz. servings on a regular day. Today it's 103' and I exercised during my lunch break, so my water consumption is up over 18 8oz glasses.

The amount of water you're drinking is fine, so don't worry about it. With high temps, it is so critical to hydrate!

About the scale... since you weighed yourself on 2 different scales, there really is no way to tell if you lost weight or not. Best to start with that first weigh-in using your own scale.