Butter Substitute

Options
I L-O-V-E real butter! Any good recommendations for butter substitutes??

Thanks,
Carol

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Just eat less of it. You can't beat butter and most of the substitutes are worse for you. At least you get a lot of vitamin D in butter.
  • cscox708
    cscox708 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I like that answer!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Just eat less of it. You can't beat butter and most of the substitutes are worse for you. At least you get a lot of vitamin D in butter.

Agreed!

I use about a teaspoon of the real deal almost every morning on toast. The butter flavored products are pure chemicals, and quite frankly, taste like it!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I eat I cant believe its not butter FAT FREE ........ they dont sell it everywhere but i like it 5 cals a tbsp and 0 fat
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    there's nothing wrong with butter used moderately.....our bodies need fat and butter is a good source, in moderation....I run from anything labeled FAT FREE
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I switched to olive oil for most everything I used to use butter for ages ago. My husband is a butter lover though so I buy Benecol for him. He likes it fine. I still rarely use it but it does have plant sterols added which are very good for you.
  • cscox708
    cscox708 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Benecol but it looks like my local Kroger carries it. What does it taste like compared to butter and the other butter want-to-be products? I may have to try it since my husband is really trying to watch cholesterol after having a double bypass surgery in February.

Thanks!
    Carol
  • phenrichs
    phenrichs Posts: 102
    Options
    After my heart surgery a few years ago my cardiologist told me that oil is better for cooking, margarine is better for spreading but if you really want the butter just get the unsalted and don't over do it.

I now cook with olive oil, use the fake stuff for bread(when I actually eat bread anymore) and if I want a little butter on my corn or the like I use unsalted.
  • phenrichs
    Options
    After my heart surgery a few years ago my cardiologist told me that oil is better for cooking, margarine is better for spreading but if you really want the butter just get the unsalted and don't over do it.

I now cook with olive oil, use the fake stuff for bread(when I actually eat bread anymore) and if I want a little butter on my corn or the like I use unsalted.
  • phenrichs
    Options

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Benecol but it looks like my local Kroger carries it. What does it taste like compared to butter and the other butter want-to-be products? I may have to try it since my husband is really trying to watch cholesterol after having a double bypass surgery in February.

Thanks!
    Carol

I don't think it's as good as butter (nothing is), but my husband claims to like it better but that may just be because I won't let him eat butter. :laugh: It is pricey though (about $4.99 for one small tub) because of the plant sterols.