Strength Training for Beginners

Options
Okay, so I know when you are trying to lose weight you should do cardio and weight training but the problem is I don't know how use the weight training machines or what exercises to do. Right now I'm only jogging at the gym 3 times a week for 30 min and riding my bike everyday. I wanted to get more exercises in that isn't cardio.

Basically what I'm asking is, what are different strength training exercises I should do. Including what machines to use and the sets and repetitions? I tried looking online but couldn't find anything for beginners that was useful. Even if anyone had some links, I would greatly appreciate it. :D

Kathy

Replies

• EmmaShorter
    EmmaShorter Posts: 298
    Options
    Bump
  • KatheryneH13
    KatheryneH13 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what "bump" means.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Talk to a trainer at your gym. They will be more than happy to show you.
    You should get at least one free session with your gym membership I would think.
    bodybuilding.com is also a great place - a lot of info and they have programs you can do and videos on how to do those exercises. But - I highly suggest having someone at your gym show you.
    Most places have the machines set up so you can do a circuit on them...
    Don't be afraid to ask at the gym - they are there to help!
    Steph
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com...there's beginner workouts on there too...get a tour before you start, how to load the machines...each machine has instructions on them too...
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Monday - Full Body Routine (series 1)
    Full Body

Exercise Sets Reps
    45 Degree Leg Press 3 20
    Seated Row 3 20
    Chest Dip 2 15-20
    Machine Shoulder Press 2 20
    Cable Curl 2 20
    Tricep Extension 2 20
    Hover 3 1 minute

Tuesday: Rest Day

Wednesday - Full Body Routine (series 2)
    Full Body

Exercise Sets Reps
    Smith Machine Squat 3 20
    Seated calf Raise 2 25
    Lat Pull Down 3 20
    Dumbbell Flys 3 20
    Tricep Kickback 2 20
    Standing Dumbbell Curl 2 20
    Decline Sit Ups 2 MAX

Thursday: Rest Day

Friday- Full Body Routine (series 3)
    Full Body

Exercise Sets Reps
    Dumbbell Lunge 4 10 each leg
    Wide Grip Pull Up 3 MAX
    Barbell Bench Press 3 15-20
    Standing Barbell Curl 3 15-20
    Tricep Bench Dip 3 15
    Horizontal Leg Raise
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Definitely go look on bodybuilding.com - they have videos showing you each exercise and there's a whole plan set up, including nutrition
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what "bump" means.

"Bump" is a place setting that we use so we can locate a post later on. It places it in the "My Topics" category.
  • donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    @koosdel, thank you for the routine...but we have no idea what it means!! :embarassed:
  • jefferyowens
    Options
    Here are some suggestions:

1. Keep it simple.
    2. Use enough weight
    3. If you are uncomfortable with free weights, use the machines.

Concentrate on the following exercises:
    1. Squat - there should be a machine at your gym known as a Smith machine. It has a barbell that is attached to a track that can be height adjusted. Load on enough weight that you can do two sets of 10 repetitions, but no more. Rest the bar across your shoulders, put your feet shoulder width apart with your toes pointing very slightly out, and squat down, using your knees and hips until your thighs are parallel to the ground, then return to the starting position. Do this 10 times, rest 60-90 seconds, then do it 10 more times. If you are uncomfortable with this, most gyms have a squat machine that uses a cable/pulley system. You can use that to do the same thing. Works your quads, hamstrings, and core muscles.

2. Bench Press - There are a couple of different variations. You can use a barbell, dumbbells, or a machine. Choose enough weight that you can barely finish 2 sets of 10 repetitions. Lie down on your back with your feet flat on the floor. Lower the bar or dumbells to your chest, and press straight up to the starting position. Repeat 10 times, rest, and then repeat 10 more. Machines are not as effective, but they are easier and safer. Works your chest and triceps.

3. Pullups - if you can't do a regular pullup, most gyms have an assisted pullup machine. You can add counterweight to make it easier. Do 2 sets with enough counterweight that you can complete 8-10 repetions per set. Works your back, biceps, and shoulders.

4. Overhead Press - Just like bench press, only sitting up and pushing the barbell/dumbbell over your head. Works your shoulders.

In addition to these, you can do leg curls, bicep curls, etc., but concentrate on these four to begin. You will get a very good full body workout, and work virtually every muscle group with those 4.

The biggest mistake I see women make is not using enough weight. They are afraid they will get bulky, or have heard that you should use lighter weights to tone. You will not get bulky. When they say use lighter weights, they mean lighter in that you can only complete 10-12 reps rather than 8-10. They are not talking about being able to lift the weight 25 times or more.

For the body building enthusiasts out there, yes, I have intentionally omitted the deadlift, as I think true beginners should get some help with the deadlift to avoid injury.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Here are some suggestions:

1. Keep it simple.
    2. Use enough weight
    3. If you are uncomfortable with free weights, use the machines.

Concentrate on the following exercises:
    1. Squat - there should be a machine at your gym known as a Smith machine. It has a barbell that is attached to a track that can be height adjusted. Load on enough weight that you can do two sets of 10 repetitions, but no more. Rest the bar across your shoulders, put your feet shoulder width apart with your toes pointing very slightly out, and squat down, using your knees and hips until your thighs are parallel to the ground, then return to the starting position. Do this 10 times, rest 60-90 seconds, then do it 10 more times. If you are uncomfortable with this, most gyms have a squat machine that uses a cable/pulley system. You can use that to do the same thing. Works your quads, hamstrings, and core muscles.

2. Bench Press - There are a couple of different variations. You can use a barbell, dumbbells, or a machine. Choose enough weight that you can barely finish 2 sets of 10 repetitions. Lie down on your back with your feet flat on the floor. Lower the bar or dumbells to your chest, and press straight up to the starting position. Repeat 10 times, rest, and then repeat 10 more. Machines are not as effective, but they are easier and safer. Works your chest and triceps.

3. Pullups - if you can't do a regular pullup, most gyms have an assisted pullup machine. You can add counterweight to make it easier. Do 2 sets with enough counterweight that you can complete 8-10 repetions per set. Works your back, biceps, and shoulders.

4. Overhead Press - Just like bench press, only sitting up and pushing the barbell/dumbbell over your head. Works your shoulders.

In addition to these, you can do leg curls, bicep curls, etc., but concentrate on these four to begin. You will get a very good full body workout, and work virtually every muscle group with those 4.

The biggest mistake I see women make is not using enough weight. They are afraid they will get bulky, or have heard that you should use lighter weights to tone. You will not get bulky. When they say use lighter weights, they mean lighter in that you can only complete 10-12 reps rather than 8-10. They are not talking about being able to lift the weight 25 times or more.

For the body building enthusiasts out there, yes, I have intentionally omitted the deadlift, as I think true beginners should get some help with the deadlift to avoid injury.

that's an awesome post...here's my FYI,...don't do squats and then lunges, your legs will feel like they're going to fall off...I suggest doing squats, then crunches, lunges, push-ups...jumping jacks in there somewhere to loosen up your legs :) I had to learn the hard way that beginners should take care of their thighs lol
  • lulusmom
    lulusmom Posts: 71
    Options
    I love the book Bodysculpting Bible For Women, because it has an "intro to weightlifiting" workout, complete with a picture and description of how to do each exercise. I don't love the nutritional advice in the book, but it is WELL worth the purchase for the weightlifting stuff. Best money I ever spent on a workout book/dvd. I still use it 7 years later.
  • donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks jeffrey, for such detailed info and thanks to lilRicki for the tip. I'll be doing my first weight workout tonight so your info is very helpful!!
  • kaseyrobinson5
    kaseyrobinson5 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is great to know.
  • Chari_Jan
    Chari_Jan Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Check and see if your gym offers Les Mills Body Pump classes. I'm a beginner too and I'm loving that class.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Get the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. It lays out a strength training plan with pretty good visual and written instructions for performing the exercises. I'd also recommend a session or two with a trainer to work on your form, particularly for squats.
  • monikalama
    monikalama Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 32thirtytwo
    Options
    Google compound muscle exercises. There is plenty of information out there to get started. Don't bother with isolation exercises yet. Get the most for your effort now by using multiple muscle groups during your lifts.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Print out the routine Koosdel posted. Take it to your gym and ask someone to show you how to do each exercise. The numbers mean the amount of weight, how many repetitions you do it, and then how many sets. If it says 30 8 2 that would be 30 pounds, 8 repetitions, 2 sets meaning you do 8 twice through.

Edit: the routine he posted, they do not give the amount of pounds, it should probably be the amount of weight where you can do the number of repetitions. So if it says 2 20 that would be 2 sets of 20 repetitions. Start light and if it is too easy to do that many, then increase the weight on the second set so it is difficult but not impossible to do 20.

Then after they show you at the gym if you forget how to do the exercise, go on Bodybuilding.com and look up "form", they should have tutorials on proper form on how to do the exercises properly.

New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good book with a lot of info specific for women.
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Lots of great info in this post!