I did something kind of stupid

Options
So, after gaining back some weight earlier this year, I got talked into trying an HCG sort of diet by some friends of mine. I didn't do the injections -- I was too afraid of messing with my fertility -- but I have been eating only about 500 calories a day for the last three weeks.

I want to STOP this starvation insanity. Yes, I lost about 10 lbs -- but I am so hungry and miserable. Can someone tell me the safe way to transition off of this diet?

An example of what I've been eating daily:

Breakfast:
1 small apple - 55 calories
1/2 scoop whey protein powder - 70 calories
Unsweetened tea - 0 calories

Lunch:
Romaine lettuce -- 40 calories
Strawberries -- 40 calories
1 scoop whey protein powder -- 140 calories
Vinegar (for the salad) -- 0 calories

Dinner:
Cucumber - 45 calories
Greek yogurt -- 130 calories
Lemon juice -- 6 calories

Snack:
Herbal tea -- 0 calories

I've kept my protein between 50-65 g per day, and been drinking lots of water. I thought I could get away with eating like this because my BMI is over 30. I knew better. I knew it was a bad idea, but I was blinded by the idea of losing up to 1 lbs a day. I was greedy and stupid. I want to stop before I do any more harm to my metabolism.

How do I fix this?

Replies

• kaylaCdewire1311
    Options
    Slowly add your calories back.. but be sure to add HEALTHY calories back.. at night, throw in a piece of chicken if you eat meat.. You gradually need to get back up to at least 1200 calories a day.. but not all at once, or you will gain weight back fast!
  • natersmama
    natersmama Posts: 157
    Options
    i have no idea how you transition off something like that. but i also have no idea how you have survived on 500 cals/day for 3 wks. my only suggestion would be to eat. 1200 calories minimum of healthy foods. weight loss the right way is harder and slower than fad diets or starvation. but it stays off longer than those. i wish you the best.
  • charlottebronte
    Options
    In addition to adding healthy calories, it would be a good idea to check in with your doc--either call and chat for a minute to ask advice or make an appointment for a check up.
  • jenny6703
    jenny6703 Posts: 2
    Options
    I did the HCG diet in April. While I hated it the entire time I was on it, it turned out to not affect me as badly as I had thought it would. If I were you, I'd do my 48 or 72 hours of low calories to let the HCG out of my system and then go straight to Phase 3. I didn't want to do Phase 3 for 3 weeks since I stopped early and just wanted to get back to healhful eating, but it was actually pretty good. I was eating 1800 cals, 100+grams of protien, and lots of fat. I understand that feeling of wanting to just be done, but I'd say stop wherever you are on Phase 2 but go ahead to Phase 3. I ended Phase 2 early, and it all worked out fine.
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    My husband did something just like this not long ago and it really put him into a chemical imbalance. My mom is a nurse and called our family doctor when we realized something was wrong and he suggested immediately eating something with sugar in it to help with the whole "system overload" thing. He then suggested that the next morning my husband return to "normal, healthy" eating by adding some good carbs from fruit and some whole wheat toast while continuing the high protein. He suggested good calorie consumption of not less than 1200-1500 calories a day. He has done well since making the adjustment. Good luck.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I dont know how you managed to loose that much weight..
    I did a week of only eating 500 calories, but also exercising them 500 calories, so that each day my net calories where in the minus...
    And i just gained weight..
    My body wasnt having any of it...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Yikes! How do people transition off that diet without gaining right back and then some? I would think that if you didn't want to mess with your fertility, you wouldn't eat 500 calories a day. That's anorexic level eating. The body usually responds by suppressing your fertility. It doesn't want to have to support a growing baby and you on 500 calories! Did your cycle go away or is it still ok? Good luck with this - I hope you get some good advice. :ohwell:
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    add a tonne more vegies to your salads (there is nothing wrong with eating heaps of carrot, snow peas, cucumber lettuce, tomato etc) and add some tuna or chicken to your salads...

i don't see the point in whey powder, just eat chicken or fish with your vegies.

you could quadruple the size of your salad / vegies, and add 100g of chicken or fish and probably not put on weight I'd imagine.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Slowly increase your calories every week by 100/150 and you won't gain weight. You have to raise it by 10 each day with healthy calories. It might take a couple weeks to get back to 1200 that way but you won't gain if you do it properly.
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses! I very much appreciate the advice and comments.

Getting back on the RIGHT track now.