wired shut and starving

Options
I recently had corrective jaw surgery and require to have my mouth wired shut for a total of 8 weeks. I was really sick and lost 12lbs in the first week but now that my appetite is back I'm starving. I've been living off of soup and very large chocolate milk shakes. In about a week I've gained back almost all the weight I lost, which is fine but I still had over 5 weeks to go before I can eat again and I'm scared I'm gonna out of this at an even higher weight than I started. Does anyone have any liquid ideas that I could enjoy that won't pack on the pounds like a milk shake?????? And trust me when I say wired shut. It's a very tight squeeze, I don't even think I could get apple sauce through my teeth :(

Replies

• nickip
    Options
    I recently had corrective jaw surgery and require to have my mouth wired shut for a total of 8 weeks. I was really sick and lost 12lbs in the first week but now that my appetite is back I'm starving. I've been living off of soup and very large chocolate milk shakes. In about a week I've gained back almost all the weight I lost, which is fine but I still had over 5 weeks to go before I can eat again and I'm scared I'm gonna out of this at an even higher weight than I started. Does anyone have any liquid ideas that I could enjoy that won't pack on the pounds like a milk shake?????? And trust me when I say wired shut. It's a very tight squeeze, I don't even think I could get apple sauce through my teeth :(
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Maybe split pea soup that is very thined down. Its super easy to make and if you want to add ham or something just make sure you put it through the blender.

Good luck.
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    I feel your pain! I had the same surgery, but "luckily" I only had mine wired shut for 6 weeks. I had A LOT of milkshakes with whole milk for the extra calories. I would have pudding as well..anything I could suck through that little opening in the back of my mouth! haha..I think I ended up loosing about 25 lbs during that time.

Good luck!
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I make a protein shake that works great for me... Low calories and good protein that fills you up:

2 ozs egg beaters
    2 ozs water
    1/2 tsp immitation rum extract
    1/4 tsp butter extract
    1/2 banana
    (optional - scoop of unflavored protein powder, but please use a high quality one)
    1-2 tsp Splenda
    crushed ice

Put all ingredients in a Magic Bullet and blend till you can get it through the straw! I usually shakes for my snacks. YUMMY!

Other options - change banana to strawberries and omit the extracts and add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    (with this option, you can mix up your fruits as you like)

Best of luck! Hope you heal quickly!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I make a protein shake that works great for me... Low calories and good protein that fills you up:

2 ozs egg beaters
    2 ozs water
    1/2 tsp immitation rum extract
    1/4 tsp butter extract
    1/2 banana
    (optional - scoop of unflavored protein powder, but please use a high quality one)
    1-2 tsp Splenda
    crushed ice

Put all ingredients in a Magic Bullet and blend till you can get it through the straw! I usually shakes for my snacks. YUMMY!

Other options - change banana to strawberries and omit the extracts and add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    (with this option, you can mix up your fruits as you like)

Best of luck! Hope you heal quickly!

Yum!! It looks like that sort of would taste like egg nog.
  • BunnyHop
    BunnyHop Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What about just blending more ordinary foods? Adding water to thin it out, I mean.

It sounds simple enough, but does it really work?
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Eek! Sorry to hear about your surgery. Sounds pretty intense.

My suggestions are protein shakes (I prefer vanilla ones and add in sugar free pudding mix to give it flavor) and Consume Soup or broth.
  • dgoodgion
    Options
    When I want a filling smoothie (that you can absolutely get through a straw) I whip up the following in a blender:

1 cup frozen mixed berries (or any frozen fruit)
    2 oz. Cranberry Juice (or Diet Cranberry Juice)
    1 packet Splenda
    2 oz. FF Milk
    4 oz. container FF Fruit Yogurt w/fiber (low cal)
    1/2 serving of Vanilla Soy Protien Powder Mix
    touch of water for desired consistancy

Blend like crazy & there you have it!

Watchout Smoothie King...It's perfect for breakfast on the go, or for an afternoon escape...and here's a hint, toddlers love them too (I can't even fire up the blender without my son trying to steal my smoothie).
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    You should get some protein shakes. The kind they sell in health food stores for weight lifters to bulk up. They are high in protein so you feel full, low in fat and you can control your calories.
  • nickip
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. No fear in losing too much weight for me. I've actually started to gain back weight with the all the milkshakes I'm drinking. Hopefully by the time these wires come off I'll never want another milkshake for as long as I live :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My concern is for nutrition. If you use a protein powder with fruits, added vitamin you will be getting your shake and also keeping your body fueled with healthy food.

I am so sorry for ya, hope you get better soon.:flowerforyou: