Your weightloss reactions???

Options
Hi :) I know everyones body is different and just wanted to get some feedback. When did people start noticing you lost weight?? How many lbs did you lose until you bought a smaller size in jeans/shirt? How much weight did you lose when you started to notice or how long? Been on MFP for over 40 days now and I love it just curious to know how long until you started feeling/seeing a change.

Thanks! :D

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    A few people noticed - mostly changes in my face - after 20 pounds. Many people noticed I was losing weight after 30. Everyone noticed after 40. After 50, people had a hard time recognizing me if they hadn't seen me for a while. Now, at almost 90 pounds down, I'm regularly told that I look like a completely different person.

I started out in a 24W in pants and didn't go down a size for almost 30 pounds but each additional size has gone more quickly - at almost 90 pounds down, I'm now in a regular 14 in pants, 8-10 in dresses, and Small to Medium in tops (I have an hourglass figure - that's why there's such a big difference in sizes).
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I've lost a total of 23 and I would say other people started noticing after 10 pounds. My clothes started being too loose after about 15 pounds and now I'm almost to my goal weight and EVERYONE notices that I've lost weight. I can also see big differences in pictures :) I've gone down about 4 pants sizes!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I've had one person notice so far. I think when I lose another 7-10 lbs people will notice more because I'll be back in my pre-preggo jeans.
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I got my first comments after I lost about 15lbs, but it was from people who hadn't seen me in a while.
  • leeuuh143
    leeuuh143 Posts: 48
    Options
    Wow thanks for your replys :) yah I've lost 20 lbs ad only two people have noticed one of them being my partner and we workout all the time and the other a coworker who knows I'm trying to lose weight. I am not a patient person and this weightloss "adventure" is teaching me a lot about patients :)
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    After about 30lbs. But no one really noticed until I FINALLY bought some new clothes that fit better and got a new hair cut. :0/
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    When I was at my highest it took a good 25lbs for anyone to notice and like somebody mentioned I got the most comments when I was wearing clothes that were flattering and you could see the change in my body. From 170 to 160 I got a lot of notice though. I think the smaller you are the fewer lbs it takes to make a difference. Gaining back some of what I lost I already noticed pants that were loose and tight again. Definitely not as forgiving...
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35 and honestly I'm STILL in the same size jeans! Yea, imagine that! Its frustrating but my shirts fit much bigger, though my boobs have not gotten smaller. Hmm. My doctor has said I am losing a lb here and a lb there, it's not all in one place so i haven't really noticed 'til recently.
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    I am almost to goal and almost in my pre-pregnancy jeans. I would say most co-workers started noticing around 17 lbs. The last 6 lbs. definitely. It is a good feeling.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    I started with 120lbs to lose, and I knew it would take a while for everyone to notice. I got the first compliments around 18lbs lost, but these were people who knew I was trying to lose weight. My mom told me at that time that she couldn't tell I had lost anything (thanks Mom! lol). Then around 40lbs lost, I started noticing it in my face, as did a lot of other people. Lately, the last 5lbs I have lost I think have made a big difference - suddenly I can button size 14 jeans that a month ago I wasn't able to fasten! They aren't wearable, but I got the suckers on :laugh:

I started at a size 22 jeans and 3x tops. I can now wear 18s comfortably on bottom, and 1x shirts. It took about 25lbs before I could go down to size 20, and just very recently fit in to the 18s.

And I agree with neuroticvirgo - once I stopped wearing my old, larger clothes, and started wearing clothes that fit more properly, it was much more noticable to myself and other people.
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Three people said something at 10 lbs (my mom for example) and other women (only). DH and others started to really notice around 15 lbs. I started off just over a healthy range of BMI (I was overweight) and am now in the healthy range if that helps.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    ditto pretty much all of what BrandNewMia said. Still in the same size clothes, but they're getting bigger, but I'm too cheap to buy new ones, or go through the horror of sweating through a fitting room session. My friends who know I'm losing (MFP Facebook updates) notice, and one guy always says something every time I see him, through the last two years, even when I was at my highest, just because he's a nice guy. (his wife recently lost 85lb with a nutritionist)

tried on a pair of size 14 pants today, could zip them but the muffin top and tight butt were too much. Tried on a bunch of dresses from my closet that are almost fitting again... :)
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I started getting comments from friends and family at 30 lbs, from closer coworkers at 40 lbs and from coworkers I hadn't even talked to before at 50 lbs. Seriously, around 50 lbs I started getting so many comments each day and now I've lost almost 57 lbs and am at my goal I get a lot of the "how did you do it" questions. It is very much worth it. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you want some encouragement.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    People noticed at about 20-30 pounds. That's when I bought some new clothes, too. Since then I've had to buy a bunch of new clothes since none of my clothes fit anymore! Keep up the great work! :)
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I didn't really see anyone until after I'd lost about 90 lbs. I spent 6 months eating right, going to the gym and REALLY focusing on what I was doing. When I did see my dad he looked at me and said, "holy **** how much weight have you lost!?"

That response was worth it.
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I am a senior manager at a company of over 500 people.
    I started at 265, when I hit 240ish one of the guys at work asked me to turn around (odd, I know). He then said "you've lost a LOT of weight". I had not seen that guy in several months so I think he was trying to sort out what he was seeing.

Somewhere around 229 I had 3 more comments in the same week.

1. Woman just blurted out “You look good…smaller, you’ve lost some weight, haven’t you?
    2. Young Man said “you trimming up?”
    3. Middle aged Man said, “Have you lost some weight?” This then segued into a conversation that was focused on determining if I had an illness.

As for the other 495 people, they notice but won’t way anything. I have developed a few terms based on the behaviors I’ve observed. Like…Belt Stare – that act of staring intently at another’s belt while holding an expression of bewilderment.
  • leeuuh143
    Options
    X
  • leeuuh143
    Options
    Thanks for specifics pretty entertaining and inspiring cant wait until I get some of those creepy belt looks :D
    I am a senior manager at a company of over 500 people.
    I started at 265, when I hit 240ish one of the guys at work asked me to turn around (odd, I know). He then said "you've lost a LOT of weight". I had not seen that guy in several months so I think he was trying to sort out what he was seeing.

Somewhere around 229 I had 3 more comments in the same week.

1. Woman just blurted out “You look good…smaller, you’ve lost some weight, haven’t you?
    2. Young Man said “you trimming up?”
    3. Middle aged Man said, “Have you lost some weight?” This then segued into a conversation that was focused on determining if I had an illness.

Thanks for specifics pretty entertaining and inspiring cant wait until I get some of those creepy belt looks :D

As for the other 495 people, they notice but won’t way anything. I have developed a few terms based on the behaviors I’ve observed. Like…Belt Stare – that act of staring intently at another’s belt while holding an expression of bewilderment.
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    81 pounds. Not a word at 80. Then I hit 81 and it was like the whole world took notice. And I was thinking - where the heck were you yesterday?? LOL. :flowerforyou:
  • zavarce
    zavarce Posts: 5
    Options
    I started a month ago and have lost 8.8ks to date but nobody has notice yet , yesterday I was able to fit on my 36 jeans again ( I was struggling to get into my 38 when I started ) Sometimes. It's hard because I would like the change to happen immediately and the praise and the pad in the back to come from others... but I'm slowly learning that it is a long road and the praise and pad in the back has to come from within. Thank you for this thread and for all your wisdom , It keeps me motivated.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!