Just out of curiosity...

Options
Does sweating = more calorie burn and/or weight loss?

I work outside with kids daily running around the playground and playing games with them. Today I didn't do anything extra (perhaps even less because of the heat), but I was sweating BUCKETS the whole time. It was about 92 out today which is about 20 degrees hotter than recent days (good ol' Michigan weather).

This isn't something I would track or anything, just curious as to how or if it could affect things.

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I wish... but no!
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, you can lose a lot of water weight in this instance. (EDIT: reread the original question. I was thinking in terms of heat).
  • kenmessersmith
    kenmessersmith Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sweat is just water and electrolytes. You may lose pounds on the scale but it will not be permanent. As soon as you rehydrate your body the pounds will still be there. Sweating does not burn fat.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    No. It's just your body's natural cooling mechanism. I wish though - I sweat just thinking about being hot!!! Make sure to drink plenty of water to replenish what you want. As odd as it sounds, it'll actually come back to bite you on the scale if you don't stay hydrated.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Nope