parsnips aren't chocolate

Options
So I find myself learning every day I am on this new path in life. The other day I went to the grocery store to find they had more than frozen pizza and hot pockets. I meandered around the produce section but I had no idea what I was doing. I was thumping on everything from big round tan things to long thin green things. Not sure what I was supposed to hear, but all I heard was the sound of me thumping. Now I know pretty much all the foods in the freezer section, but am lost in produce. What the hell is Bok Choy? how about persimmons? Grapple? Arrowroot? Leeks look like green onions but they are not called big green onions so why is that? I see a minimal of 3 different types of white potatoes, a yellow strain, and then 2 sweet ones. The only thing I knew pretty well was the bulk candy rack in the middle. Not sure WTH that was doing there either. OMG how will I get through this....Just tell me which one tastes most like chocolate and I will be good.

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Haha, unfortunately none taste like chocolate but I love ALL fruit! Especially when you can cover it in dark chocolate ;)
  • Opusarlo
    Opusarlo Posts: 53
    Options
    wait...dark chocolate? Why dark chocolate? Are you saying that dark chocolate is not a complete sin? Please speak to me!
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    You know you can dip parsnips in chocolate and they're just great. Ease into this thing... try an apple, a cucumber, maybe a bell pepper. Don't overwhelm yourself.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Grapples are delish! Grape flavor with apple texture. Dried blueberries are better than skittles. Yes, I said it they ARE better. Just trust me on this one. :drinker:
  • eklei123
    eklei123 Posts: 27
    Options
    wait...dark chocolate? Why dark chocolate? Are you saying that dark chocolate is not a complete sin? Please speak to me!
    Dark chocolate is better than milk or white chocolate for you, by far! In small quantities is best, of course. lol
  • mikesnwgirl
    mikesnwgirl Posts: 112
    Options
    Last time I checked none of them taste like chocolate :( Sorry to burst your bubble. If you're not a cook, but would like to learn try the Better Homes and Gardens cook book! There is a whole section at the begining that tells you all about every vegetable you can think of. Including when they are in season and how to choose the freshest selection at your local grocery store. The recipes are easy to cook and there are even instructions on how to do some of the things that may sound like a foreign language. I highly recommend it! If cooked right vegetables can be wonderful! I hope this helps you.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Haha, unfortunately none taste like chocolate but I love ALL fruit! Especially when you can cover it in dark chocolate ;)
    Ever tried durian?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thank for the laugh.

When I started on this journey I promised to try something new each week. I started with NO veggies in my diet, unless you count on my pizza.

I did start by buying 1 apple, 1 orange, some celery and natural peanut butter YUM, broccoli and already made salad. I built up to spending more money in the produce than the meat section:laugh:

Good luck. If there is a food you truly want to try, just google it. Most can be microwaved and snap, they are great:heart:
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    pick something you have cooked with before, then google it and get a recipe, chances are it will involve other things you aren't familiar with, a good way to get going. start small, asparagus is good, and very versitile, spinach is easy to work with, zuchini is great, also easy, you don't have to go for the crazy stuff first, start small, a lot of those veggies are included in frozen dinners. find out how they got started.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Ever tried durian?

*gags*

That stuff is foul!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    LOL..Bless your heart, OP....Trial and Error, my friend, Trial and Error...You will find what you like and what you DONT...I always make a rule to try something twice..like cooked different ways..Just in case...

and get yourself some Ziploc Steambags..They are LIFESAVERS!
  • Opusarlo
    Opusarlo Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks for all ur advice amd help. I shaped the cheeaecake filling like a stalk of brocolli. Tastes pretty good. Just kidding. I will experiment with new veggies this weekend. Maybe a stir fry. All u gotta do is put veggies in a pan, right?
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Stir fry is great! And a good way to try a bunch of dirrferent veggies. Try some mushrooms, that bok choy you didnt recognize, bell peppers, carrots and broccoli. Great with chicken or shrimp thrown in.