Runkeeper app?

Options
LadyKT
LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
Anyone here use the Runkeeper app on their phones? I downloaded it the other day and use it on my morning walk. I noticed though that it doesn't look like it tracks the route accurately (i mean sure i zigzag around tourists and slow walkers on the city sidewalks, but i didn't think that much!) - I google mapped the walking route and it seems like a lot less distance than Runkeeper gave me even though it uses google maps/gps to follow my route. Should i track distance using the google mapped route or Runkeeper?

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I like mapmyride :)
  • keschuh79
    keschuh79 Posts: 29
    Options
    I use the mapmyrun app or website. It tracks times and routes pretty accurately as far as I've experienced.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I used Imapmyrun once - and the same thing - i noticed the distance vs google mapping was way off. It just looks like im zigging all over the place. Hm.
  • justinf67
    justinf67 Posts: 10
    Options
    i use cardiotrainer
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    I like Cardio Trainer better than Runkeeper but with either you need to make sure the phone has a fairly clear path to the sky. Buildings and trees can block the GPS signal. In Cardio Trainer there are settings to increase the sensitivity of how accurately the GPS tracks you. I can't remember if Runkeeper has that or not.
  • wstidolph
    wstidolph Posts: 20
    Options
    I ran RunKeeper, SportyPal Pro, and CardioTrianer on the same phone at the same time; under clear sky conditions they reported the same distances, but when I was on forest trails RunKeeper was way off the other two. I think each app has a different methods for deciding what track you were on whenever it didn't have GPS coverage. But, all three were not particularly close to the trail signs ;) ... I'd believe a mapping program like Google more than a GPS measuring program, at least in forests or in urban canyons.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It's accurate for me. I've used it regularly on tracks that post the mileage and it's exact. You should drive the route with your car to compare if you think it's off.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper has been pretty accurate for me.
  • richiedbond
    Options
    I use it at least 3 or 4 times a week. i would say once a month it gets weird but it is almost always very accurate. As always with GPS it can be hit and miss, I am not sure how much the app can do. It is most likely a problem with the sat signal to the phone
  • DLMorton
    DLMorton Posts: 1
    Options
    I use it daily, in fact three times today for a 3 mile run and two 5 mile bike rides (to and from work). RunKeeper works extremely well with my phone and I've been using it for more than a year.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper, but mostly I will map out my run on their website either before I head out or when I get back. Doing it like this, the map distance is pretty accurate.
    Another website I use for mapping sometimes is the running ahead website. Also very accurate mapping.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i use the nike+ app on my cell phone & it's great :o)
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I used Runkeeper on my iphone religiously for a year. At first it was pretty good. I would get about 97% accuracy . Then for some reason the accuracy dropped to only about 90%. I got tired of having to go in and edit the maps on all my runs so I upgraded to a Garmin watch. It is spot on with my actual distance and even included a heart rate strap. Since then I have taken my training to the next level.
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I love runkeeper and haven't noticed any issues with it.