Hashimoto's Disease....does anyone treat it naturally?

Options
I've done A LOT of research and I know that Hashimoto's can be "cured" by diet without the need for meds (they don't help, believe me I know) but I can't seem to figure out what I am allowed to have because the more research I do it just keeps taking all foods away from me! So becoming Gluten free is the main thing, and that was 1 thing to stop eating all wheat, but now I can't have soy or casein(milk protein), iodine, caffeine, echinacea, starch, beta-carotine, L-something?!?!, all of these things affect my hashimoto's and fibrocystic problem! My hair is falling out and I am constantly aching, I just feel overwhelmed. Is anybody going through this or live this way and having success?

Thanks!

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    diet can help, but hashimotos is an immune disease, you can't turn off antibodies with diet, there is more than one way to treat it, but diet is not a cure, there is no cure, anyone who tells you there is is a quack, please see a doctor for alternative types of medication. I have gone thru what you are, even still do at times, and worse, medication adjustment fixes it.... temporarily, this is a lifelong condition, my medication constantly is being adjusted because my immunesystem does more and more damage to my thyroid, but just because there is no easy and permanent fix that is not to say that the medication does not do what it is designed to do. Your hair and energy and pain are caused by lack of thyroid hormones, and if you do not get more hormones it is possible for it to get much worse, you can't eat these hormones, nor is it feasible to starve your immune system, which some of the hashimoto's diets will do. your health is too important to not get help for this.
  • sarahbeth17
    sarahbeth17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the input but I disagree with most of what you are saying. There are many people that do get cured from their diet, and because it is an immune disorder synthroid or whatever you take will not help it, the reason people have their thyroids removed is because of taking synthroid in the first place, it is for hypothyroidism not linked to an immune disorder but most doctors don't treat the patient just what they see on the bloodwork. I know what i'm supposed to be doing to feel better I would just like to know more options of what I'm allowed to eat that won't make me feel bad. I know Kumbucha tea alone makes people feel lots better and has healed some people.
  • ilikeflowers
    Options
    Yes! I was diagnosed with hashimotos, celiacs and chronic fatigue. I've always had weird health issues that doctors brushed aside, I'm in my early 20's, but doctors never had answers. It got to the point of me getting pnemonia twice in one year with a fever of 104 and losing 15 pounds to 116 lbs both times, my hair was falling out I had horrible acne so bad i wouldnt leave the house for nearly a year and deep waves in my nails. My sleep patterns were very bad and I was an emotional wreck. I was so frustrated I felt like my body was possesed, I would freak out on my boyfriend then apologize a minuet later scared of the person that did that! I was blessed to finally find a doctor that's natural that knew what was going on. I was diagnosed a year ago and have been 100% strict gluten and dairy free for 6 months. I'm a completely different person! Thick hair, my nails are looking almost normal, my skin is clear and I'm emotionally much better. She has me on digestive enzymes, strong probiotics, B & D vitamins and fish oil daily plus I take A E magnesium calcium and zinc all gluten dairy fake sugar free. Also cortisol for chronic fatigue and i was on progesterone bc my levels were so low. Yes it is a lifestyle change, but I tell myself I have air to breathe, the lungs to breathe it, and two hands to use so I am thankful. It's hard in the beginning but it gets easier. I 100% believe in diet change. It cured me and I was almost hospitalized for my illness. If you have questions let me know!
  • ilikeflowers
    Options
    You mentioned ideas of what to eat, my diary is public also google gluten free dairy free meal options. I do eat too many nuts so don't do that part of my diet lol. I'm changing that as of tomorrow to low fat higher carb gluten free dairy free still. Bobs Red Mill oats are great. Read labels! Barley malt in cereal, maltodextrin, soy sauce all have gluten. Google list of common foods that have gluten and also other names gluten goes by. No beer or most alcohol btw. Also look into candida and yeast issues. Maybe stay away from active yeasts Except Braggs nutirtional inactive yeast.
  • kateanne27
    Options
    if there is a diet that stops one antibody in your immune system from being effective without affecting the rest I would love to know about it, the symptoms of hashimotos come from low thyroid hormones in your body, you can eat a diet that strengthens the parts of your body that low thyroid affects, like hair, energy, skin, heart, depression, etc, but it doesnt replace what your body can't make on its own, so yes, you can alleviate symptoms thru diet, and if you feel that is enough, I wish you the best, but yes synthroid does help with the antibodies, the less thyroid hormones your body puts out, the more tsh your pituitary puts out to try and kick your thyroid back into gear, the more tsh, the more your anti thyroid antibodies kick in, artificial thyroid hormone lowers your tsh, gives your thyroid a break, and can slow the buildup of scar tissue. not a permenant solution, but no less so than a strict diet, and there are no side affects to properly dosed thyroid. And this way, this one aspect of my health does not rule my life. There is real science behind this. I realize a lot of people like natural treatments over conventional medicine, but diet can't change dna. There is no cure, you will always need to stay on either diet or medicine, its always going to be maintenance or damage control. I'd rather treat the cause of my symptoms to prevent as much damage as possibe, rather than merely try and manage the symptoms. And it works. my symptoms get so much better.
  • sarahbeth17
    Options
    my symptoms stay the same and the dr always says my bloodwork is "normal" and what you described seems to be what would work for normal hypothyroidism, but that's not what hashimoto's is. It's not an immune system disorder CAUSED BY the thyroid, it's an immune problem that affects the thyroid, if you fix the immune problem the thyroid gets better on its on, it's outside the thyroid affecting the thyroid, which is why taking synthroid may "fix" the thyroid but all the symptoms are still there, and after years and years on synthroid, people still have to get their thyroids removed due to ruining them.
  • kateanne27
    Options
    lol I think we are saying the same thing on one thing, I agree the immune system affects the thyroid, but the more active your thyroid is, ie the harder it works being pushed by the pituitary, the more your antibodies attack it, like the way a dormant virus can live in the body, left alone by the immune system until it starts causing problems and attracting an immune response. Synthroid gives your thyroid a chance to 'rest' by getting the pituitary off its back, so to speak, which means it attracts less attention from your immune system. I have been to many endocrinologists over the years, since I move around a lot, this is how they all explain it, in as many words. you cannot remove antibodies from your system, like how you only get chicken pox once, then every time you are exposed to the virus, your immune system's specific antibodies recognize it and attack. Syntroid doesnt fix your immune system, and since thyroid hormones can naturally flux, and cumulative damage to the thyroid causes less natural output of hormone, it will not even prevent the need for the thyroid to be removed, or prevent future 'attacks' on the thyroid, but its not the synthroid doing the damage, it doesn't even directly affect the thyroid itself, but the pituitary, and all the things in your body that need thyroid hormone to function properly, hence symptom maintenance. like I said, there is no cure only management.
    you may want to ask your doctor about Armor Thyroid, I have heard good things about it, especially for those like us for whom synthroid does not fix the symptoms completely, it is a non synthetic hormone replacement, but it is hard to get in some regions, and my doctor(s) were concerned with me anbout the negative affects of inconsistant treatment if it is not available all the time.
    And for what its worth, those I know who have had their thyroids removed, have found that synthroid is more consistently effective after, due to the fact that there is no more immune attack, so less fluctuation in natural hormone (since there is none)
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to see if there are any doctors in your area who specialize in treating that type of immune disorder. I have a friend who has Hashimoto's, Sjogren's syndrome, and fibromyalgia. She found a local doctor who is also a certified acupuncturist and chiropractor. She has had amazing improvements since she has started working with the doctor. I know she's on a reduced gluten diet (but not gluten free), does take Synthroid, and also takes several types of supplements daily (vitamin and herbal). Her doctor has worked with her to balance the pH levels in her body as well. Her pain levels from the fibro have reduced significantly, and she no longer needs Restasis (for the Sjogren's).

So, I don't have any specific advice for you, but know that there are MDs who use natural methods, sometimes in combination with traditional medications, to help manage such disorders. (If by some wacky chance you live near Austin, TX, send me a message and I'll get the doctor's name.)

Best wishes to you on managing this complex health issue.
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    my symptoms stay the same and the dr always says my bloodwork is "normal" and what you described seems to be what would work for normal hypothyroidism, but that's not what hashimoto's is. It's not an immune system disorder CAUSED BY the thyroid, it's an immune problem that affects the thyroid, if you fix the immune problem the thyroid gets better on its on, it's outside the thyroid affecting the thyroid, which is why taking synthroid may "fix" the thyroid but all the symptoms are still there, and after years and years on synthroid, people still have to get their thyroids removed due to ruining them.

There seems to be a lot of mixed up information in here. Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disorder, and there is no "cure" for autoimmune disorders like Hashimoto's or Lupus, conventional or alternative. There are medications and diets to help alleviate symptoms, prevent flare-ups, etc., but no real cure. Taking Synthroid does not "fix" the thyroid like you say, but it replaces the hormone that the body is no longer making. So symptoms of hypothyroidism disappear because your body is now receiving the amount of hormone that it requires to work properly. Similarly, type-I and some type-2 diabetics require insulin, so they take it, it's the same thing. It's simply a replacement of the hormone that your body is no longer making enough of. Lastly, most people who have their thyroids removed have them removed because of nodules that grow too large, or from benign tumors and cancers. Having hypothyroidism all on its own is not a reason to have your thyroid removed. There's simply no reason for it, and in fact it means a higher dose of medication, so no respected endocrinologist would remove a thyroid without a good reason. And I know that people are trying to go for all-natural approaches, and I am actually a person who HATES medication, but Synthroid is one of the safest and well-tolerated medications out there. I would love to see any evidence of Synthroid "ruining" your thyroid.

ETA: Sorry, maybe I'm missing something or mis-reading your post....were you diagnosed with hypothyroidism? You said your bloodwork was normal?
  • ilikeflowers
    Options
    Celiacs is an autoimmune disease triggered by gluten. If you remove the trigger often it stops the attack on other parts of the body including thyroid. Autoimmune can attack different parts including spine and brain. It takes a while for the immune system to calm down usually a couple months. Taking synthroid is against my personal beliefs, some say it supports and gives the thyroid a rest, I believe it makes it lazy and throws the body out of balance. Iodine is said to support thyroid function.
  • sarahbeth17
    Options
    My advice would be to see if there are any doctors in your area who specialize in treating that type of immune disorder. I have a friend who has Hashimoto's, Sjogren's syndrome, and fibromyalgia. She found a local doctor who is also a certified acupuncturist and chiropractor. She has had amazing improvements since she has started working with the doctor. I know she's on a reduced gluten diet (but not gluten free), does take Synthroid, and also takes several types of supplements daily (vitamin and herbal). Her doctor has worked with her to balance the pH levels in her body as well. Her pain levels from the fibro have reduced significantly, and she no longer needs Restasis (for the Sjogren's).

So, I don't have any specific advice for you, but know that there are MDs who use natural methods, sometimes in combination with traditional medications, to help manage such disorders. (If by some wacky chance you live near Austin, TX, send me a message and I'll get the doctor's name.)

Best wishes to you on managing this complex health issue.

I'm not close enough to see the doctor but I am in Dallas :), I'm trying to see a natural doctor now but they all charge a lot more than I have. I ran out of my synthroid and I know the dr im trying to get in to see would take me off synthroid anyways and i don't want to refill the prescription, now I'm losing weight tho...
  • sarahbeth17
    Options

There seems to be a lot of mixed up information in here. Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disorder, and there is no "cure" for autoimmune disorders like Hashimoto's or Lupus, conventional or alternative. There are medications and diets to help alleviate symptoms, prevent flare-ups, etc., but no real cure. Taking Synthroid does not "fix" the thyroid like you say, but it replaces the hormone that the body is no longer making. So symptoms of hypothyroidism disappear because your body is now receiving the amount of hormone that it requires to work properly. Similarly, type-I and some type-2 diabetics require insulin, so they take it, it's the same thing. It's simply a replacement of the hormone that your body is no longer making enough of. Lastly, most people who have their thyroids removed have them removed because of nodules that grow too large, or from benign tumors and cancers. Having hypothyroidism all on its own is not a reason to have your thyroid removed. There's simply no reason for it, and in fact it means a higher dose of medication, so no respected endocrinologist would remove a thyroid without a good reason. And I know that people are trying to go for all-natural approaches, and I am actually a person who HATES medication, but Synthroid is one of the safest and well-tolerated medications out there. I would love to see any evidence of Synthroid "ruining" your thyroid.

ETA: Sorry, maybe I'm missing something or mis-reading your post....were you diagnosed with hypothyroidism? You said your bloodwork was normal?

If synthroid had worked then I'm sure i'd still be taking it until I found another solution. It does not work on my body, and I've been told by many that it's because I have hashimoto's and synthroid is not a medication for that form of hypothryoid problem. I agree with the other post, synthroid does make the thyroid lazy. Our bodies by nature can be healthy if we treat them the right way, I don't believe i am just destined to have to be on medicine forever.
  • SarzWix
    SarzWix Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lots of useful information is available on the about.com thyroid pages. http://thyroid.about.com/cs/hypothyroidism/a/hashivshypo.htm

And a sensible explanation of why you should be taking your meds... : http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroiddrugstreatments/a/refusingmeds.htm
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

If synthroid had worked then I'm sure i'd still be taking it until I found another solution. It does not work on my body, and I've been told by many that it's because I have hashimoto's and synthroid is not a medication for that form of hypothryoid problem. I agree with the other post, synthroid does make the thyroid lazy. Our bodies by nature can be healthy if we treat them the right way, I don't believe i am just destined to have to be on medicine forever.

I'm not sure where you're getting this. Hashimoto's is the single most common cause of hypothyroidism and the simple treatment for it is Synthroid/Levothyroxine. Other causes of hypothyroidism include iodine deficiency (nearly absent from developed countries like the U.S.), overtreatment of hyperthyroidism, radiation therapy from cancer treatment, and removal of thyroid gland for other reasons. So if you live in the U.S. or a similarly developed country, haven't been treated for hyperthyroidism, haven't receiving cancer treatment or had your thyroid removed, you almost certainly have Hashimoto's. From the Mayo Clinic:

Hypothyroidism may be due to a number of different factors, including:

* Autoimmune disease. People who develop a particular inflammatory disorder known as Hashimoto's thyroiditis suffer from the most common cause of hypothyroidism. Autoimmune disorders occur when your immune system produces antibodies that attack your own tissues. Sometimes this process involves your thyroid gland. Scientists aren't sure why the body produces antibodies against itself. Some think a virus or bacterium might trigger the response, while others believe a genetic flaw may be involved. Most likely, autoimmune diseases result from more than one factor. But however it happens, these antibodies affect the thyroid's ability to produce hormones.

I'm all for you doing what you feel you need to do for yourself, but as someone with Hashimoto's and as someone with a medical background, I'm concerned about the information being put out here. And with that....I'm out.
  • Perladaisy
    Options
    There is CURE for Hashimoto's, but it won't be found in conventional medicine. They treat all hypothyroidism the same way, even went they have different origins. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (inflammation of the Thyroid) is an auto immune disorder that CAN be corrected to stop the attack and destruction of the thyroid gland. But even after the immune problem is in remission, (meaning it's not Hashimoto's or autoimmune anymore) the thyroid may or may not go back to working normally because it depends on the damage it has received.

"Digestive health and the immune system are inextricably linked. Since 70% of the body’s immune system dwells in the digestive tract, maintaining balanced digestive health is crucial to the body’s overall well-being. .....In order to have a properly functioning immune system, one must have a healthy digestive system. Because nearly three quarters of your body’s immune system dwells in the digestive tract, it has the most profound effect on overall health out of all the internal organs." http://www.goodbelly.com/learn/digestive-issues

Because of that a gluten free diet will help a lot, and in many cases it's all the person needs to lower the TPO auto-antibodies (These are produced by the thyroid gland to counteract the attack from the immune system). But a gluten free diet may not be enough if the person have others problems like Candida, poor digestion, hormones imbalance, adrenal fatigue, etc. which usually accompany auto immune disorders, since they also need to be corrected.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 6 months ago, and with the help of a Naturopath I lowered my TPOs from 323.60 to 64 in just 3 months, by having a gluten free diet, no iodine, Selenium methionine, probiotics, some vitamins A-D, Omega 3 and thyroid hormone (temporarily), because a low metabolism will make your recovery lengthy and also when TSH is lowered, inflammation is also lowered which consequently will help to lower the TPOs to some degree.

Some interesting links:
    Food that helps: http://www.suite101.com/content/hashimotos-disease-food-that-helps-a117592
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Three-Phases-of-Successful-Hashimotos-Treatment&id=3973337
    http://www.wellnessresources.com/health/articles/digestive_alert_thyroid_celiac_candida/
  • checoo
    checoo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been battling Hashimotos for two years now. After going through about 10 doctors/endocrinologist, I'm turning to a naturopath for treatment. Through research, I've been able to help myself more than any traditional doctor or endocrinologist has. They don't look at the immune system, but rather the thyroid only and treat it like hypothyroidism. First, I was able to find a general doctor to allow me to try Armour (Endos would not) and that alleviated the symptoms which allowed me to focus on getting to the root cause. Still, I got no answers from doctors. So I did research and connected online with other. Discovered the gluten sensitivity/hashimotos connection. I went on a gluten free diet wich further increased my energy, lowered my pain, ELIMINATED ALL INFLAMMATION, and made me feel better overall. And I've been gluten free for only a month now. It looks like my hair is thickening (starting to see less of my scalp than before). From what I read, the protein in gluten mimics a thyroid hormone. So if you're sensitive to gluten your body creates antibodies to attack it. Since the thyroid hormone looks similar to these antibodies, they attack your thyoid as well, everytime you eat gluten. So the key is to remove the trigger...gluten.

Until I get in with the naturopath at the end of August, I'm continuing with things I can do on my own. With an autoimmune disease, you have to heal the gut. I'm doing a yeast cleanse and I've switched to a stronger probiotic. I plan to get to a place where i can determine all of my food allergies so that i can know what to avoid. I suppliment with a multivitamin, selenium, magnesium, calcium, NAC, alpha lipoic coq10, fish oil, and B-Complex. Again, it's only been a month, so there hasn't been enough time to get labs and see if theres a change in any of the numbers. However, I feel 90% better, have more energy and I had to lower my Armour dosage because after a week of gluten free, I couldn't handle my current dosage. That's a good sign. An even greater sign is that for the first time in 2 years, I was able to lose weight. This month since going gluten free, i've lost 6.5 pounds so far.

Thyroid medication does not cure hashimotos. But it supplements your thyroid hormone production while you boost your immune system by healing your gut and finding your allergies and any other attack triggers. Traditional doctors won't provide this information. I've read that in 3-6 months of gluten free and healing the gut, that it is possible to reverse the hashimotos condition. But it's not a cure, since eating gluten will again initiate an attack on they thyroid and result in a hashimoto flare up.
  • Perladaisy
    Options
    Fibrocystic problems are related to hypothyroidism and I heard they are treated with Iodine & potassium iodide successfully in only 3 months; But with Hashimoto's the TPO antibodies need to be lowered first before taking the Iodine.

Please see blog: http://advancingthyroidcare.wordpress.com/2010/03/07/fibrocystic-breasts-breast-cancer-treatment/
    You can ask them questions for free.

As long as you have TPO antibodies there is thyroid inflammation, even if you feel better.

These autoimmune problems are too complex to be self treated, especially when there are other conditions happening along with it. Like is in your case. My advice : Please don't delay treatment.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 8 years ago, and 3 paternal aunts and my paternal grandmother had it also.

I took meds for 7 years, including a narcolepsy med for 4 years (I fell asleep twice while driving--aack!). They never got the dosing right and I never felt good. About 5 years ago, I lost a baseball-size chunk of hair on the right side of my head, my skin was grayish and my nails were brittle. It was an awful time. The only thing that gave me any energy at all was working out. I would feel good during a workout and for about 2 hours after, and then I was toast.

Last year the med I was on, Armour (dessicated pig hormone) became unavailable and I was without it for over 2 weeks, feeling non-functional by 2 pm every day. At that time my chiro suggested that I try an OTC supplement instead of a drug.

He gave me Thytrophin PMG by Standard Process. It cost $12 for 90 tablets. I take 2 tablets in the morning and 1 later in the day (sometimes I will take a 4th if I have to be up very late).

THIS SUPPLEMENT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE. For the past year I have felt so good again--I have energy! Not hyper energy, but normal energy--lack of fatigue. I just had my blood tets done and an ultrasound of my throat at the endocrinologist's office. Guess what -- normal levels (first time since I was diagnosed), and no (NONE, NADA!!) indication whatsoever of Hashimoto's on the ultrasound. The supplement is bovine-derived amino acids that stimulate the thyroid to make its own hormone instead of replacing the hormone with a drug (which may shut down the thyroid completely after years of use).

I do eat a pretty clean diet and I believe that the diet combined with this supplement have cured me.

My endocrinologist was surprised that I had been off the meds for more than a year (of course he had told me that I needed to take them for the rest of my life), but he was happy for me. I have encountered other MDs who say it's hogwash and/or snake oil, but I really don't care what they say bc it worked for me after 7 years of the drugs did not.

I think you can get the Thytrophin at a chiro office or a naturopath's office, or of course, online.

blessings.
  • cornymama
    Options
    How can I find out if I have celiacs? Is there a test? I too have Hashimotos.