Eat before or after you exercise?

I have a dilemma. I want to start exercising first thing in the morning, but don't know if I should eat breakfast before I work out then wait an hour or after, then I'm hungry during my workout...??:ohwell:

Replies

• I have a dilemma. I want to start exercising first thing in the morning, but don't know if I should eat breakfast before I work out then wait an hour or after, then I'm hungry during my workout...??:ohwell:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    I have been working out at 4 am. I really like it!! I feel energized. I make sure I eat a little something. I find that it is easier to do a complete workout. There are times I go without eating and I feel tired. I try to eat toast with a bit of peanut butter.
    Good luck to you.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    You're both right! You need to fuel your body for the workout, especially in the morning. You will bottome out if you don't and will quit half-way through. It will also help you loose weight more effectively. The whole point of breakfast = break the fast. Think of your metabolism as a fire. If you don't feed it, it will go out!

I have found that a bagel (half before, half after) my morning run is perfect for me. Cereal bars are another quick & light option. Avoid heavy proteins before a workout and stick with simple carbs/sugars (meaning fruit); they will break down faster to give you the energy you need for your workout. Do the protein with lighter carbs after workout (you should eat within about 30 min after your workout).

The other key is fluids. Agian, most people get up and go to the bathroom first thing. You need to drink before, during and after your workout! If you feel lightheaded or woozy, your blood is probably moving like sludge. Hydrate to alleviate hydrostatic issues!

And let me know how the heck you motivate for morning workouts... 4am :noway: you're nuts!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member

And let me know how the heck you motivate for morning workouts... 4am :noway: you're nuts!

I am still trying to figure that out. But, I will say, it is nice being done by 6am. Leaves the whole day. I will start going at 8am when my son goes back to school Jan 7.
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    I work out at 5.30 am I like to get it over and done with first thing then I don't have it hanging over my head all day I think if you eat anything it has got to be fruit you get and instead sugar kick and you can't really exercise with a full stomach which is why the morning is good. I take the attitude hungry or not I got up at the crack of dawn for a reason I will be damned if I will give up half way through there would be no point getting up early if you don't give it your all. Also drink a glass of water before you start and have a ready supply while you workout and when you are finished have a big glass of cold water and breakfast when you are ready your metabolism will be higher if you eat after you exercise and should burn of the calories easier.

Good luck
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Over the years, I've read theories ranging from 'don't eat within 2 hours before or after your workout' (the theory being that you will actually convert some fat to carbs rather than using up fresh energy) to recomendations of specialized protien drinks that should be ingested within 30 minutes after work outs (the thoery here being that your muscles will progress faster with a ready supply of protien just when they need it most.)

I like the idea of burning that stored fat, plus I don't like exercising on a full stomache, so I tend to eat after I exercise. If I'm starving, I'll grab a handful of peanuts or just enough of something to take the edge off.

And, it seems obvious that my body will need nutrients to help my muscles repair after use, so I tend to eat soon afterward.

My routine happens to make that next feeding dinner not breakfast, so I tend to get lots of protiens and other nutrients to help the repair process. To adapt as part of a morning/breakfast routine, I would apply the same chosen theories and just make sure breakfast included some good protien.
  • I have always read that working out first thing in the morning before you eat is the best way to go. Jump-starts your metabolism and burns fat, and it is also supposed to help you keep your food choices in mind at the start of your day. I can't seem to get myself out of bed to do that unfortunately. :tongue: So, I work out when it is convenient in my day...usually when I get home from work before I eat dinner. I always drink half a glass of water before I work out if it is first thing in the morning, though, or I feel like crud.
  • For me I eat a light snack about 1 hour before working out (I work out at 3 PM) :bigsmile: . When I was working out in the morning, I wouldn't eat only because I felt sick to my stomach and bloated while working out :sick: . I would eat a banana and a slice of wheat bread and peanut butter afterwards though.

I really think it depends on you. Just my two cents
  • To your question to eat before or after excercise:
    You should do BOTH
    It is important to eat something small Before your cardio in the morning (such as 1/2 a banana, 1/2 bagel, or another piece of fruit for your carbs).
    After you workout (especially if you are doing strengthtraining with your cardio) you need to refuel your body with certain foods 30-45 minutes after working out. Now, I'm not talking about eating an entire meal here... After your workout you should refuel with a few carbs and protein (such as the other 1/2 of the banana or a small yogurt).

I personally wake up at 6:30, drive to the gym and eat 1/2 a bagel or 1/2 a banana on the way to the gym. i do my cardio from 7:00am-8:00am and yes, at first i felt sick from eating but you can train your body to do anything and after a few days.. maybe even a week it felt good to have that little meal in your belly before working out in the AM.

* Everybody is diferent... do what works for your body!*
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    It depends on what you are doing for exercise. If you are doing cardio you may not want to eat before to avoid stomach cramps, especially at 4am. You will want to eat some complex carbs within an hour of finishing.

On the other hand if you are doing weights you should eat a snack of 100-200 calories about 45 mins before so you have the energy to get you pumped up, same thing though, you need to eat about an hour after too to feed your muscles.

I would say that if you are working out empty and you find you have plenty of energy to do your workout then just make sure you eat within the hour after finishing. I find that just an apple on my way to the gym keeps me going until I am done then I come home and have a smoothie!
  • I agree with amandareid. It is important to break the fast before you start working out, then you have to give yourself a quick shot of carbs and protein immediately afterwards. The after meal is to replenish the glycogen that you burn out of your muscles during the work out. This prevents you from burning muscle during recovery. It also helps you recover quicker so that you are ready for the next work out.

I use powdered protein mixed with water before working out. I have an energy drink that has about 130 calories of carbs before and during the work out. This does not cause the bloat common with eating breads before hand.

I take a little more protein powder and some cereal as soon as I can afterwards. Just remember all of these calories count.
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    My son is a weight trainer/body builder, so I asked him. He tells me that Cardio should be done on an empty stomach or right after a strength training workout. then high glycemic food should be eaten and a protein. somehow that works best for cardio. it gives you the most benefit from it. don't know why. there were bunches of reasons. but...well, after awhile all the words jumble together and I hear circus music. :bigsmile: on the other hand, a protein and a low glycemic should be eaten 30 mins to one hour before a weight training work out and the appropriate protein and glycemic after as well. he recommended bodybuildingdotcom website. I went there, and there is tons and tons of information. sifting through it all and then trying to apply it to my life was very daunting. lots of good exercises tho.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    My son is a weight trainer/body builder, so I asked him. He tells me that Cardio should be done on an empty stomach or right after a strength training workout. then high glycemic food should be eaten and a protein. somehow that works best for cardio. it gives you the most benefit from it. don't know why. there were bunches of reasons. but...well, after awhile all the words jumble together and I hear circus music. :bigsmile: on the other hand, a protein and a low glycemic should be eaten 30 mins to one hour before a weight training work out and the appropriate protein and glycemic after as well. he recommended bodybuildingdotcom website. I went there, and there is tons and tons of information. sifting through it all and then trying to apply it to my life was very daunting. lots of good exercises tho.

That's exactly right! In the AM, if you're going to perform resistance training, go ahead and have something small--a protein and a low GI carb, a small amount of fat if you like--before. If you're just doing cardio, there's really no need. After your workout, if you've done cardio, you can wait to eat or eat another low-GI food with a protein. However, if you lifted, do consume a high GI carb and protein; that's very, very important for recovery.

I'm a member of bodybuilding.com flachix :D There is a great wealth of information there!
  • ariannedavis
    Keep in mind that bodybuilding regimines are totally different from weight loss regimines. Bodybuilders consume higher calories and work toward high muscle mass. For the average person on this site, the goal is weight loss. If you do not want to add bulk (muscle mass) you need to focus on metabolism. Not eating before a cardio workout means... O.k. here comes the physiology terminology.

When you begin activity, your body uses ATP, a quick release, short lasting form of energy. Once that is done (less than a minute) your body kicks over to carbohydrates for energy. Once those are depleted, you move into fat. The last energy source is protein (you don't want to burn up your heart muscles to workout right?). If you add a small dose of carbs in the morning, you will have energy to begin your session. By consuming a small amount, you will burn through these and move into the fat, which is my goal. The point of consuming protein powders is to supplement your existing protein so that your body uses it (think of it as first found, first used) rather than breaking down your own body.

So, everyone here is corect, depending on your goals!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Keep in mind that bodybuilding regimines are totally different from weight loss regimines. Bodybuilders consume higher calories and work toward high muscle mass. For the average person on this site, the goal is weight loss. If you do not want to add bulk (muscle mass) you need to focus on metabolism. Not eating before a cardio workout means... O.k. here comes the physiology terminology.

When you begin activity, your body uses ATP, a quick release, short lasting form of energy. Once that is done (less than a minute) your body kicks over to carbohydrates for energy. Once those are depleted, you move into fat. The last energy source is protein (you don't want to burn up your heart muscles to workout right?). If you add a small dose of carbs in the morning, you will have energy to begin your session. By consuming a small amount, you will burn through these and move into the fat, which is my goal. The point of consuming protein powders is to supplement your existing protein so that your body uses it (think of it as first found, first used) rather than breaking down your own body.

So, everyone here is corect, depending on your goals!

This is a little inaccurate actually...ATP is used at all times. All forms of nutrients--fat, protein, and carbs--are turned into ATP by various metabolic pathways. It is THE energy we use. What you're probably thinking of as the 'quick' energy is glucose, which is stored as glycogen in the body. Short, anaerobic burst of energy, like sprints, use glucose because, since there is no oxygen present, the Krebs Cycle can't provide any ATP so it's only Glycolysis that provides it, and that only uses glucose. If you're performing lower intensity cardio--like jogging, elliptical, or walking--you can use the Krebs Cycle. In that case, glucose is still the main source of ATP, but fatty acids (from our fat) can also supply some.

The chances that you will use any skeletal proteins for amino acid gluconeogenesis (turning amino acids to glucose) are so slim that it's actually almost impossible if you're eating carbohydrates on a daily basis. What glucose you don't use from a meal is stored as glycogen in your muscles, and that is liberated as is needed during activity. If you're low on glucose, glucagon will be released, which calls for either glycogen breakdown or lipolysis (fat breakdown). If you ate dinner the night before, you will be absolutely fine jogging the next morning. You'd literally have to do many hours of cardiovascular activity to deplete glycogen stores enough to break down skeletal muscle for amino acids, and even then you'd have to have no dietary protein available either.

And besides...muscle mass *increases* your metabolism, and fat loss doesn't. It's important to focus on both.
  • ariannedavis
    Songbrydsweet, sorry for any confusion. I try to keep the terminology to a minimum as to refrain from confusing or insulting anyone. I have a Masters in health promotion and education, in addition to being a certified athletic trainer & professor. Hopefully this will clarify my point. :wink:

Source: http://www.nutritionreview.org/library/krebs.html
    Counteracting Fatigue
    There are several ways to counteract metabolic fatigue. One approach is to increase the production of ATP by eating correctly and taking supplements that stimulate the pathways that make ATP. There are three pathways used by the body to produce energy: (1) the immediate energy-producing ATP-PC system; (2) the short-term anaerobic energy system of glycolysis; and (3) the long-term aerobic energy system of oxygen. Creatine supplements stimulate the ATP-PC system. The Krebs’ cycle factors, their precursor amino acids and food metabolites enhance glycolysis and aerobic energy production.

The inital burst of ATP to which I referred is from the ATP-PC system, not glycolysis, which is readied for our flght or flight response. I realize ATP is manufactured as part of the Kreb's Cycle, but didn't want to explain that here. I hope that makes sense!

I wan't insinuating that we use muscle for energy, simply explaining the order or progression should the body be pushed that far. My husband can attest to what that feels like after his marathon experinece! :laugh:

Fortunately I think there are only a few people here who exercise like that; referr to your obsessed quote! :tongue:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Ah, I suppose I just interpreted it that way when I read the 'burning heart muscle for fuel' section. That doesn't happen until the late stages of anorexia and extreme caloric deprivation, so it certainly won't happen on a normal morning jog. I went without carbohydrates for 9 months, and with an increase in my fat and protein intake to make up the caloric difference, saw no decrease in muscle mass even with high amounts of cardio. It's really up to the individual whether they want to eat first thing or not; they're not going to lose any cardiac muscle if they are free of eating disorders.
  • You should never eat a large amount of food before any vigorous workout. Many people that fill their stomach will end up with cramps. The cramps are due to the pull on the ligaments that hold your stomach to the diaphram...the more food or liquid that is in the stomach, the stronger the stretch while exercising..thus greater the pain. Since Carbohydrates turn to glucose and are stored in the muscles, they will provide a great source of energy for a workout. You don't need a lot of carbs to fill your stomach and you should choose one that is an intermediate level for digestion. This way it will keep you full longer but allow a nice burn for energy during an workout. Plus you don't have to wait long to start your workout. I usually eat a slice of plain whole grain bread...toasted and have a cup of black coffee for breakfast. Then 30 minutes later I work out. Be careful though...you need to watch hw much high-fiber foods you eat before a workout as high-fiber foods promote bowel movement! The worst thing is to be in the middle of a run and find yourself in a paniac because you need to use the bathroom! :)
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Song, from what I understand, and its just a fraction of what I should. the body burns carbs as fuel first. so, after a fast, say sleeping, or depleteing your carbs via weights, then the cardio will burn fat as energy. which assist in fat loss. I think other wise all cardio is good for is to make you sweat. :grumble:
    I truely hate cardio, but I get up at 5:30 to do it every morning before I eat. its nice to have it out of the way though. then I have just begun (again) to do some easy weight training he sent me. I love weight training compared to cardio. I actually feel stronger when I am done. even my posture is better. thanks for all the imput. the bodybuilding website is a fantastic place to go. and then I come here to get someone to explain it to me. laugh. thanks
  • My personal feelings are that I agree with everything said. But after my morning exercise/weightlifting/swimming activities each day Mon - Sat 0600 - 0830. I like to blend fruits and veggies - Mega Power Foods. During my activities I simply feed the machine good ol' H20.
    However, if you are experiencing major hunger pains when you awake, by all means - a small amount of food is not bad for you, again I prefer fruit, it fills me up and I get a dose of natural sugar to drive the machine. Some of the muscle heads at my club like breakfast, cereal or eggs and bacon, or protein bars. I suspect that is why we are all different. So all being said - find what works best for you and go with it.
    Also, If I must eat when I awake, I do allow time to digest the fuel, as not to leave it lying on the floor or in the pool afterwards. :cry: