I want one that will keep track of the total calories I
burn during my exercises.
What kind would be the best?
Opinions please!!:smile:

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar FT4. Seems to be a favorite around here, and I like it.
  • tmarie1213
    tmarie1213 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4... LOVE it!
  • Tacosmamma
    Tacosmamma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I got a Garmin FR60.. Love it
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I got a Garmin FR60.. Love it

I second this!
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My friend has a Polar FT7 that she loves and I'm loving my new Sportline Duo 1025.
  • Athena413
    Options
    And when you go to buy your HRM, check out heartratemonitorsusa.com...not too long ago they had REALLY good prices and free shipping!
  • DrewD2011
    DrewD2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am a big fan of Polar (one of their Ambassadors) and they have a wonderful line of HRM's. I have been using their products for about a year and a half.

I started with the FT7 - about $90 to $105, but after 8 months, I graduated to the FT80, which gave me GPS, Fitness Tests (VO2max), a visual display of my HR, Strength Training detail (add you entire lifting routine into the watch) and a great online community that supports me through challenges (uploading through a Flow Link accessory). I use it for the elliptical, tennis and weight lifting.

Online the FT80 lists at $349. I have seen it as low as $250 (with a Flow Link) at heartratemonitorusa.com.

See the results:

http://www.polar.fi/en/polar_community/polar_people/Andrew

A great basic HR monitor is the FT4 (about $70 online). One minor drawback on this entry level watch (FT4 only) is that it does not have a user replaceable battery (Polar will change it). When you step up to the FT 7, FT40 FT60 & FT80 they can all upload results to polarpersonaltrainer.com...each adds a feature up the line and you should select a monitor that matches your lifestyle/budget.

See their website:

http://www.polar.fi/en/
  • Athena413
    Options
    And be sure to get one with a chest strap! The ones without the strap are worthless...
  • 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I got a polar FT7 based on the recommendations of several MFP friends and can't say enough good about it. It allows for easy set up, the chest strap is completely comfortable and I love that it holds 99 workout records and can give you weekly workout summaries. If you want to take all the guess work out of calorie burn as well as heart rate (for me as a heart patient this is an absolute must) get an HRM. Polar is top of the line but mine is not the top of the line. It still gets the job done and then some and I paid right at about $100.00 at Academy less than a month ago.
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I purchased the Polar FT7 a few weeks ago and I love it. I went to the Polar website and looked at authorized online retailers. At Heart Rate moniters (store) they had an awesome sale. The FT7 is perfect for me. keeps track of my calories during workouts and lets me know if I'm doing a simple burn fat workout to actually working on my fitness. having a HRM is the best investment. You will be surprised at how much a difference in calories you're burning to what you thought you were. I learned I'm not burning 500 calories but more like 350 on most of my workouts.
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT40.
  • MaryBachert
    MaryBachert Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Does this one allow you to change the battery or where do you have to go to get that done. I am in Ontario, Canada.
    Thanks!
  • MaryBachert
    MaryBachert Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I should have put the name in there. It is the Garmin one.
  • VJ150
    VJ150 Posts: 453
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and Love It!!! The chest strap is quite comfortable and I like the large numbers on the display.

Be sure to get one with a chest strap. My previous HRM didn't have a chest strap and the numbers were all WRONG!!! It was a good thing that I didn't eat back the calories it said I burned!!!
  • VJ150
    VJ150 Posts: 453
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and Love It!!! The chest strap is quite comfortable and I like the large numbers on the display.

Be sure to get one with a chest strap. My previous HRM didn't have a chest strap and the numbers were all WRONG!!! It was a good thing that I didn't eat back the calories it said I burned!!!
  • AmberM6912
    AmberM6912 Posts: 79
    Options
    A great basic HR monitor is the FT4 (about $70 online). One minor drawback on this entry level watch (FT4 only) is that it does not have a user replaceable battery (Polar will change it). When you step up to the FT 7, FT40 FT60 & FT80 they can all upload results to polarpersonaltrainer.com...each adds a feature up the line and you should select a monitor that matches your lifestyle/budget.

See their website:

http://www.polar.fi/en/
    [/quote]

I second this about the FT7. I bought one yesterday and used it for the first time last night during my kickboxing class and i LOVED it. Made me work even harder to see how many calories I can burn. I opted for the FT7 mainly for the reason of being able to change the battery without having to send it in. I was hesitant of the chest strap because i was worried it wouldnt be comfortable but it doesnt feel any different than the band of my sports bra. I cant even tell it's there. I'm excited to keep using it!
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am looking to purchase a HRM.
    I want one that will keep track of the total calories I
    burn during my exercises.
    What kind would be the best?
    Opinions please!!:smile:

Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I purchased a Polar FT40 a few weeks ago to replace my old Polar (which didn't calculate calories burned) and I:heart: the FT40.

You can search the internet for specials and lowest prices if you are shopping for any HRM on sites like Amazon, sporting stores, ebay, etc.

I searched and bought both of mine on heartratemonitors dot com and also found an online coupon for it and saved an additional $10.00 in addition to it being on sale at the time I purchased it. Also, it arrived the very next day :smile:

**** Actually I just checked 3 days ago after receiving an email about a sale on heartratemonitors dot com and the FT40 that I bought is now on sale for $129.66 with free UPS 1 - 2 days delivery. I paid around $149.95 on sale when I got my FT40 so this is now a good price for anyone looking at the FT40 !

And for anyone looking at the FT7 (another popular HRM with members on here) - it is also on sale for $82.17 with free shipping !

The FT4 is on sale for $73.99 with free shipping as well ****
  • RFrick
    RFrick Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    bump