Quit Smoking

Options
Anyone got any nice tips or tricks for kicking the habit? Because I'm really struggling with this :/ Any and all advice is welcomed!!

Replies

• Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Chew on some baby carrots whenever you want one.
    Don't worry too much about those calories either. You can eat a pound of them and it's 175 calories(: haha
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    I used Champix and it was fabulous. I haven't smoked in 21/2 years and don't have any desire to.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    For me it was a matter of wanting someone more. I wanted to be able to actually run more than I wanted a cigarette. I just reminded myself that if I didn't exercise I wouldn't lose weight, and I couldn't exercise if I was smoking. Every cigarette was a sick reminder that I hated my body.

Haven't had a problem since.
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey. The price of cigarettes became to costly and I simply stopped buying them. For me, it was just that simple. It's been a few years since I last smoked a cigarette. Now the smell just makes me sick.
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    This cost a bit of money but it worked for me. I quit cold turkey, BUT I was having a lot of anxiety problems. I had bought the Volcano e-cigarette a while back and decided to treat my smoking for the addiction to nicotine that it was. So I used the e-cigarette for a "fix" after meals and in the morning. I seriously felt like a drug addict taking my hit. You can buy the cartridges in full strength, light strength and then 0 strength as a step down. I am on my 0's and not feeling effects of withdrawl. The combination of step down from nicotine along with the blatant in your face fact that what it is is an addiction to a drug, well that is what helped me get through it. I am happy to now be a non smoker and plan to never go back!

Other tips...
    -Shower often
    -stay away from smokers for a while till you get a grip
    - avoid things/places that are smoke related (I smoked a lot when I was on the computer, I stayed away from it for 2 weeks)
    -drink lots of water
    -use anything citrus flavored when craving a smoke
    -remind yourself continuously why you should quit: health, finances, addiction, dirty, smelly, bad for kids/animals to be around, yellows things, etc....
    -make a plan for the money you will save
    -know that each day it gets easier.

Throw them away and vow you will just no longer buy them. I tried cutting back and having them in the house, it did not work!

Much success to you!
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    For me it was a matter of wanting someone more. I wanted to be able to actually run more than I wanted a cigarette. I just reminded myself that if I didn't exercise I wouldn't lose weight, and I couldn't exercise if I was smoking. Every cigarette was a sick reminder that I hated my body.

Haven't had a problem since.

That was a huge reason for me.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Read Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking"

I gave up a month ago today and it's been easy... no withdrawal, no cravings and most importantly no weight gain at all...
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'm not a smoker, but I've also heard amazing things about Allen Carr.