Two bike questions: Seat and pressure gauge

Options
h3h8m3
h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
Hello,

I just picked up biking, and have a couple of questions.

1. I find the seat on my bike to be pretty uncomfortable after about a half hour. Can anyone recommend a good seat to replace it with? My bike is a mountain bike, but I ride it on all surfaces. Mostly asphalt (roads) and some gravel trails. If I could find a bike that didn't hurt my butt so much that'd be nice. I am 6'3 and a large framed guy.

2. The tires have presta valves on them, and I don't know how to measure the tire pressure on these things. The only tire gauges I have are for normal car tires. Is there a good and inexpensive gauge I should buy?

Thanks for your time. Any other tips you've got for a new rider would be appreciated.

Replies

• Adenham70
    Adenham70 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, there is an adapter that goes on the presta valve after u put that on u could use the regular tire gauge to measure n air. As for the seat well they do sell the gel ones but I feel more comfortable riding in cycling shorts since they are padded/gel they are really worth the money ;-). Hope I helped some.
  • GreenGablesJes
    Options
    i have a mountain bike also, the seat was pretty uncomfortable. so i headed to walmart, got a wider seat also have a seat cover that has microfiber. and i tend to go on bumpy trails and i haven't had any problems with the seat .

as for the guage i would go to a bike shop and they can help you. i don't think i have that type of valve on my bike.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I use a gel seat. Have been using it for about 3 years now. Works great. Time for me to get a new one.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    My bike came with a shock in the seat post and wow has that been nice! You can buy a new seat post for yours if you think it will help. I just absorbs a little more of the rough spots in the road. Search for "suspension seat post" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

If you go to Walmart and buy a seat, try it out before taking the paperwork off. My DH just bought a seat and found that once it was on the bike he really hated it! Since we had the paperwork with the barcode and it was still in new condition we were able to return it and get another with no problem. Whoever you do your shopping with just make sure of their return policy so you don't get stuck with a bunch of bike seats that you hate!

Also, sit on the bikes that are assembled and make note of what types of seats they have and how they feel to you. They vary in width as well as material (memory foam, gel pads, springs on the underside of the seat, etc). If they have a few different seat types on the floor bikes sitting on them will begin to give you an idea of what you find comfortable.

Also remember if you haven't ridden much you will just have a bit of a sore bum until you're used to it. Get a good seat but then keep riding! It should get better the more you ride. Have fun!
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!