I was just looking at my goals

mommyoftwins05
mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I have it set up to lose 2lbs a week..

But in red it says I'll lose 0.9 lbs a week

Why is it different?

Replies

• If the goal of 2lbs per week would mean limiting your calories below 1200, it changes your goals to whatever you will lose at 1200 calories per day. Basically you need to net at least 1200 calories and MFP won't ever set you below that. It did something similar to me, setting me at 1.6lbs per week when I wanted 2lbs.
  • silmarilliane
    silmarilliane Posts: 133 Member
    i think it calculates a healthy weight loss programme - i set mine to lose 2 pounds a week and it's actually set it to 1.5 a week. it's set to 1200 calories a day, which as far as i can tell from what other people have told me, seems to be the loswest you can healthily eat in a day.
    once you lose around 10 pounds though, it recalculates your goals.
    also i think also if you're very overweight, you need to work more gradually to lose weight (i've been told that it's bad for your heart etc if you don't)
    hope that helps/makes sense
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    i think it calculates a healthy weight loss programme - i set mine to lose 2 pounds a week and it's actually set it to 1.5 a week. it's set to 1200 calories a day, which as far as i can tell from what other people have told me, seems to be the loswest you can healthily eat in a day.
    also i think also if you're very overweight, you need to work more gradually to lose weight (i've been told that it's bad for your heart etc if you don't)

I need to lose a total of 29.6lbs.. I am over weight but not extremely.. do you think once I get smaller... It will be less than 0.9 lbs? I see what your saying about how its set up. Last week I went over it.. I lost 1.1 lbs
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member

I need to lose a total of 29.6lbs.. I am over weight but not extremely.. do you think once I get smaller... It will be less than 0.9 lbs? I see what your saying about how its set up. Last week I went over it.. I lost 1.1 lbs

I started MFP needing to lose 30 pounds and am about 20 pounds down. I started having MFP set at a 2 pound/week loss which worked for about a month and a half and then sent me into a long plateau. Be careful trying to go too far with calorie reductions. It can mess with your metabolism! If I could do it all over again, I would start with a one pound/week loss. Now I am in the final 10 pound stretch, I have had to slow my weight loss and set MFP to 0.5 pound/week loss. It sounds counter-intuitive, but sometimes you need to eat more to lose. As you get closer to your goal, most of us can't do the 1-2 pound/week losses anymore and the scale won't move unless you up your calories to a slower loss.
This discussion has been closed.