How about that for a runner? NSV

Options
PolyTeine
PolyTeine Posts: 78 Member
I know it's not much, but today I ran my first 2 miles on the treadmill without stopping at 28 min. with the speed of 4.5.

What is the norm for running, speed wise??

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I wish I could do it. I can't run to the bathroom. lol
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a major accomplishment. When it comes to running speeds, there is no norm. People range from 5 minute miles to 12+ minute miles. All runners are different. I'm currently at a 9:45 minute mile and working to get under a 9 minute mile. The most important thing is that you go at a pace that's comfortable for you.
  • WildflowerAL
    WildflowerAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!

The beauty of running is that everyone is different! You are only trying to better yourself--do it a little faster next time, a little farther, etc. You are only competing against yourself!

If you go to a 5k event (or any race event) you will see all kinds of people--all with different goals, some will run very fast, some will walk, some will do a little bit of both. Running is a very inclusive group!
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!! I am only up to 25 minutes straight myself. On the treadmill I go at 5.0 but on the open road I am probably much slower. I am focusing on endurance first, the speed will follow (I hope!).
  • Katie320
    Katie320 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I recently started running myself after always saying that I DO NOT run. Now I love it! I'm up to running at 5.5 mph for 30 minutes, which is about 3 miles. I've found that running intervals at higher speeds helps. Sometimes I'll run 15 minutes at 6 mph, walk for 5 minutes, then run at 6 mph for 15 again. Or I'll alternate running at 7mph for 5 minutes with walking or jogging. Just yesterday I added an incline of 2.5 to my normal 5.5 mph workout and it kicked my butt! That's what I love about running now: it's never boring and you can always mix it up to get a different workout.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    There honestly is NO NORM for running speed etc. It's whatever YOU feel comfortable running at, elevating your HR but avoiding injury. Everyone can run at a different speed, different incline, and for different periods of time. There is no "running standard" at all.
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Same as what everyone else said about there being no normal for speed.
    I run around 12-12:30 min/miles and I feel good about that now.

6 months ago I was running 14:30 miles so I know I am improving. Its all about your personal best!

Great work though!!
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Speeds average. I run at 4.5 on tread also. Not up to a mile let alone 2 yet!! Good job.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I know it's not much, but today I ran my first 2 miles on the treadmill without stopping at 28 min. with the speed of 4.5.

What is the norm for running, speed wise??

There is no norm for running, just what is normal for you individually. You will find that as you progress as a runner, you will be able to run farther and farther at a certain speed. And then you will find you can run faster at shorter distances. Keep it up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!