When is it officially a plateau??

Options
I am getting a bit discouraged and just wondered how to determine if I am at a plateau. I have been at pretty much the same weight, 155.something (.8, .4) since May 15th. My measurements have not really changed at all (just decreased .5 inch around the hips, actually increased an inch around the waist!!) despite increasing my workout intensity. I have kept my calories at 1300 pretty consistently for the past several months. I am not sure what to change, if anything, or should I stay the course? One thing I think I should try is to cut down on the dark chocolate treat I have every night. My diary is open--any suggestions are welcome!! Maybe I should pay more attention to the macronutrients? I think I am pretty consistently over in fat but have not really worried about it too much as long as I am okay with calories.

Replies

• mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Don't know the "official" requirements of it being a plateau I just think it is when you get stuck and what you were doing that yeilded results no longer brings about results.

Don;t get down on yourself mine lasted 2 months and then I shook it up with more exercise and less carbs and bam today finally weightloss!

keep plugging along and maybe shake things up and stay focused it will happen

good luck!
  • mak_101
    mak_101 Posts: 28
    Options
    I think the '"plateau" is the most difficult part of loosing weight. We get stuck and then discouraged. I have found that just staying focused on your eating and exercise seems to be the way to go. Also don't forget the WATER!!!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I've been the same weight for 4 days and don't like it....I don't expect to lose a lot over the week, but .2 would be nice LOL. I weigh every day( i know, I shouldn't). but only log it on Sundays. I just hope my stagnet doesn't last months, i may need therapy lol. I guess staying the same is better than gaining (fat). I need to shake up my exerise, and food I think...Good luck to you :) If only could unglue myself from skinny cow products...heehh...they are soo good!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Well, looking at your diary, you seem to be consistently high in fat...maybe try to cut that down and quite possibly your carbs too. You should aim for below recommended levels in everything besides fiber and protein. Those are set kind of low, so you should aim for more.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am getting a bit discouraged and just wondered how to determine if I am at a plateau. I have been at pretty much the same weight, 155.something (.8, .4) since May 15th. My measurements have not really changed at all (just decreased .5 inch around the hips, actually increased an inch around the waist!!) despite increasing my workout intensity. I have kept my calories at 1300 pretty consistently for the past several months. I am not sure what to change, if anything, or should I stay the course? One thing I think I should try is to cut down on the dark chocolate treat I have every night. My diary is open--any suggestions are welcome!! Maybe I should pay more attention to the macronutrients? I think I am pretty consistently over in fat but have not really worried about it too much as long as I am okay with calories.

You may not be eating enough, though I am not sure what your activity level is. I have similar goals as you. I started MFP at 175 and have 30 to lose total. I plateaued for close to two months at 15 pounds down. I upped my calories to 1700/day from 1300 and now have MFP set at a 0.5 lb/week loss, and that got the scale moving again. I wrote a blog post about it here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/melsinct/view/goodbye-plateau-don-t-let-the-door-hit-ya-107662
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough, though I am not sure what your activity level is. I have similar goals as you. I started MFP at 175 and have 30 to lose total. I plateaued for close to two months at 15 pounds down. I upped my calories to 1700/day from 1300 and now have MFP set at a 0.5 lb/week loss, and that got the scale moving again. I wrote a blog post about it here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/melsinct/view/goodbye-plateau-don-t-let-the-door-hit-ya-107662

Mels in CT what part of Ct are you in I too an in CT the direct geographic center if we are close we can workout together!