Does Flexibility return?

2»

Replies

• leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Flexibility can definitely be trained. I used to be so inflexible. I cannot jump high at all and I cannot bend much. After I integrated working out into my lifestyle for the past 1 years, my flexibility greatly increased. I can jump high, I can bend and touch my toes, etc.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I haven't really done much yoga or pilates, but just incorporating stretching into my warmups before exercise and cooldowns after, my flexibility has improved a LOT.

I was never able to touch my toes, even as a very bendy, hypermobile child, until this past year, and I'm 39!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    I'm 29 and I don't think I've ever really stretched properly. so If i never had optimum flexibilty, do you think I can still reach it?

Yup. It sounds simple, but I went from nothing to just stretching before work every day. I went from not being able to get my hands near the floor to touching the ground with my palms. If you practise it will come back, or come for the first time!
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    My yoga instructor is mid fifties and is over weight, but is so flexible!! He has only been doing it for 10 years, so age and weight wont stop anyone. I went for ages and could touch my toes, but then I stopped as going through some bad family stuff. And then when I went back into it, I had lost it all, and now cant touch my toes without bending my knees. So you can also lose it too.

Yoga is essentially stretching, so if you dont want to go to a Yoga class, there is a free app you can download that you can do from home. It doesnt happen over night, but over time you will get there.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    I didn't think my flexibility was bad for my 40's until I did a few months of PT for a leg injury. Saw a lot of improvement from proper stretching and thought I was really flexible again. That was until a few weeks of doing hot yoga. I saw a HUGE improvements from it. Now, I'm starting in on Yin Yoga (no cardio - stretch only - I get plenty of cardio from swim/run/bike) and seeing even further improvements.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Yoga, regular stretching after exercise when your muscles are warm. I'm a dancer and I am not naturally flexible. I worked really hard at it in high school for competitions and I've lost a little since I started weight training and running. If I do yoga for a few weeks I can usually get it back.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    I teach dance, and I definitely lost a lot of my flex when I hit puberty - bones growing all over the place and me not keeping my stretching up. It does get better - if you work on it EVERY DAY. Warm up to get the blood pumping and then do basic stretches - making sure to hold each stretch for 30 seconds. Don't bounce - you might rip something (and that FRIGGIN HURTS, let me tell you!!) I'm 28 and I decided I'm not ready to retire from competition yet - so I've been working really hard on my flex and it is getting heaps better. Now to lose the 50kgs that's holding me back from being a superstar...

What type of dance do you teach and what do you compete? I miss it very much and I'm active in ballroom dance but I really miss, jazz, ballet and lyrical, even a little cheer. lol I just feel like it's hard to find challenging dance for "grown ups" not just beginner classes, something worth working at.
This discussion has been closed.