Meeting Calorie Goal

Options
I'm not eating enough calories a day but find myself not hungry. My normal food choices are often low in calories with alot of protein, fruits and veggies. I'm having a hard time meeting my calorie goal for the day with my current food choices. Any suggestions on some good healthly snacks that pack a lot of calories? My current calorie goal is 1500 but sometimes only getting 1100.

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Try incorporating more nuts into your diet. Almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, etc. Try to get the unsalted ones! Salted nuts are high in sodium. Also protein bars are typically somewhere between 200-400 cals so maybe try adding one of those per day as a snack?
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Almonds walnuts and all natural peanut butter are all great calorie dense snacks that won't hurt your diet, and a great source of dietary fats.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Me too... Bumping this to see the answers!!
  • cha36jennings
    cha36jennings Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Try incorporating more nuts into your diet. Almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, etc. Try to get the unsalted ones! Salted nuts are high in sodium. Also protein bars are typically somewhere between 200-400 cals so maybe try adding one of those per day as a snack?

any suggestions that don't involve any form of nut? :-S
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    olive oil on your veggies or salad?Avocado , a milky cup of coffee?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Avocado, nuts, seeds, dehydrated fruit, nut and seed butters. You can eat higher MF% milk products (instead of 0% yogurt try 2%) Have 1 glass of juice in place of a glass of water.
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'd try it with drinks.. sometimes when i'm low all i have to do is drink a glass or juice, or milk. Milk for example is good in proteins and fat, and of course the calcium and vitamins, but i only drink it when i can fit it in, because milk packs quite a few calories.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    If nuts don't do it for you, how about avacado or as someone has already suggested they make small size protein bars with 200 cals and good balance of nutrients. Be careful though some contain way to much sugar. A brand I use that taste good with low sugar is pure protein or supreme protein any flavor is delicious and all with less than 5 grams of sugar
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Wow, how I would love to have this problem:-)

Protein shake, avacado, coconut oil, whole wheat bread, humus.
  • BeckyReba
    BeckyReba Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i've gone through this and had issues with too much weight loss. basically, when you eat only that amount of calories, your body will stop feeling hungry, so its a bad cycle. bump up your calories by switching milks and yogurts to higher fat percentages. that way, your nutrition is the same, but your body can get back up to a normally functioning metabolism :)