Eating in the morning.

Krizzle4Rizzle
Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
Anyone else have a hard time eating when they wake up? I find that I have to wait a few hours after I am awake to eat. If I don't I get sick to my stomach. Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    I did in the beginning. I just started out small, like a piece of toast. Then, I worked my way up to "normal" breakfast. Even if you just have a little something, it will get your metabolism going.
  • Plumpqt
    Plumpqt Posts: 156
    I had the exact same problem. but once you force yourself a few times you will find that your body will be hungry as soon as you get up. Now my stomach growls while Im still laying in bed.
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    I too wait a few hours before I eat. Id rather go without eating until lunch...
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    I get hungry at night time so I don't bother eating until some point in the afternoon. Works so much better for me, and I get to hce bigger meals. Mornings I'll usually have coffee or tea.
  • issabishie
    issabishie Posts: 28
    I used to, but I forced myself to eat something at breakfast time, just a very small amount to begin with, and eventually I got used to it and can manage a proper breakfast and actually enjoy it now too.
    It really is important to eat breakfast and get that metabolism started up, so I would advise making yourself eat breakfast, even if its just a tiny bit of something to begin with. Your body will soon get into the habit of having breakfast and you'll stop feeling so sick.
    That being said, I still can't face a cup of tea or coffee for several hours, although I can manage a small glass of juice.
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    I sometimes have this problem... I usually have my coffee/tea, check some emails, and then I eat!

:)
  • im the same! take an early morning run before food and ull be ravenous by the time your home :)
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    I had the exact same problem. but once you force yourself a few times you will find that your body will be hungry as soon as you get up. Now my stomach growls while Im still laying in bed.

Me too! It has just about ruined sleeping in for me lol
  • aghack
    aghack Posts: 107 Member
    I was the same way. I mentioned it to my best friend, and he said that if I'm not waking up really hungry, I am eating too much at night, or eating dinner too late. I took his advice and moved our dinner time to 6:30 from 7:30. I also make sure that if I have dessert or a TV snack, it is something like Jello or a popsicle so it doesn't take up any room in there!

I now wake up very hungry, but still don't want to eat a big breakfast.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    I'm not a morning eater but if I wait a few hours I get a sickly feeling in my stomach. Now I drink a protein shake just after waking up.
  • beach_chelle
    beach_chelle Posts: 221
    I've always had that problem whether I was trying to lose weight or not. So what I have done is a quick 20 minute cardio work out which also helps ramp up your metabolism and is an excellent way to start your fat burning in the day before you've even ate anything. Then by the time I'm finished with that and the rest of my morning rituals I am ready to eat. Good luck!
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    My guts cannot take eating first thing in the morning. If I do it usually sidelines my workout mid way through for a b room break :sick:
  • amberlee2011
    amberlee2011 Posts: 129
    I am new to this site and my weight loss journey, but I am so hungry in the mornings!! I wait until I get to work to eat though. I've been having two cups of watermelon for breakfast, and I am starving by 10:30 a.m. I'm trying to retrain my body to not be as hungry in the mornings, but my friend who is in the army is telling me I should eat a larger breakfast and a medium sized lunch and a small dinner. Right now I do the opposite so who knows lol.
  • MaryW1962
    MaryW1962 Posts: 23
    My workouts are usually early in the morning and if I eat before I work out then I really feel sick so I wait until after and usually have a protein bar. I was told by a doctor that if you eat before your workout then you burn the calories of the food you just ate but if you workout on an empty stomach then you burn the stored fat. I don't know if this is true or not but it works for me because I can't before a workout anyway.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    I agree with others to just force yourself to have something.

I am a believer that it really is important to eat breakfast. As a mother, I am on my boys to at least have a piece of toast with a little peanut butter and a yogurt or something. Breakfast doesn't have to be big, but something to get your metabolism and brain function going. I know lots of people can go without eating for hours after waking up, but in the long run it is not the healthiest habit to practice.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    I am never hungry as soon as I wake up but this morning I got out of bed, walked for 30 minutes and by the time I got back I was hungry so thats when I ate.
  • thats normal especially for people not used to eating in the morning, i eat light myself for bfast, a banana and almonds usually sometimes a small blueberry muffin, as you get used to eating early you shouldnt feel sick
  • I used to get up at 6:30am for uni, but I figured out that if I ate breakfast at around 9am at uni, I could get up a half hour later!
    So I started doing that, and now I feel quite sick if I eat too early.
    But I figure my later breakfast means I'm not as hungry by the time lunch time comes around (around 1-2pm), and then I don't tend to binge in the afternoon. Which I used to have a huge problem with.
    So although I might be 'slowing down' my metabolism or whatever by eating a few hours after I get up, I'm not consuming that extra 500cal I don't need in the afternoon.
    So I see it as a positive. Haha.
    So I have a big protein filled breakfast, and then a medium lunch, and usually soup for dinner atm (it's winter here). And it definately works for me. I feel better for eating a small dinner - I sleep much easier too :)
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    I was the same way. I mentioned it to my best friend, and he said that if I'm not waking up really hungry, I am eating too much at night, or eating dinner too late. I took his advice and moved our dinner time to 6:30 from 7:30. I also make sure that if I have dessert or a TV snack, it is something like Jello or a popsicle so it doesn't take up any room in there!

I now wake up very hungry, but still don't want to eat a big breakfast.

This was my experience as well. Before I started my lifestyle change, I never woke up hungry, but I ate huge meals in the evening and snacks as well. Now that I am eating much less and better food, I wake up starving and ready for a great, healthy breakfast!
  • carmenvo
    carmenvo Posts: 34
    I start my work at 5 AM. At first I was not hungry and just ate at ten, but now I eat at five and at ten, and one PM. I don't know if that is ok. Should I skip my 5AM again and lose this new habit? I think it makes me gain weight, but I'm not sure. I mostly eat two slices of bread each meal. Or some apples and a banana.
This discussion has been closed.