How to get rid of retained water?

Options
Heya,

i noticed that over the last week i gained around 8kg (17.6 lbs) and I've been a good girl with my calories, mostly fat and sodium as well. But i noticed that i feel bloated (it's not my TOM) and my legs and arms are swollen a lot like i have a lot of water in them. I think I drink enough (about 2-3 liters a day).

Now I have no idea how to get rid of that water in my body. Does anyone have any tips?

Replies

• kjb0976
    kjb0976 Posts: 68
    Options
    Might try taking a water pill that you can get from a health food store. Otherwise, you might want to check with your doctor as that seems to be a lot of water retainage.
  • ceirawillsucceed
    ceirawillsucceed Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i have no answers but i have the same problem. by the end of the day my feet and ankles are very swollen. i can feel them swelling up and it hurts. like you i dont go over sodium and drink lots of water.
    watching with interest for answers.
  • 90210UK
    90210UK Posts: 81
    Options
    bump :)
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I also wonder if it might have to do with the hot weather. It has been really hot the last couple of days.
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I too have the same problem and I went to my doctor about it. He prescribed me a diaretic and it has helped tremendously. Only thing is I have to take it all the time or else I blow up again. Not sure if this is the truth or my doctor is just blowing smoke up my booty, but he said my fat cells are soaking up the water which makes me feel and look so bloated.... Either way, the diaretic has helped (9 pounds down in 1 week).
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I too have the same problem and I went to my doctor about it. He prescribed me a diaretic and it has helped tremendously. Only thing is I have to take it all the time or else I blow up again. Not sure if this is the truth or my doctor is just blowing smoke up my booty, but he said my fat cells are soaking up the water which makes me feel and look so bloated.... Either way, the diaretic has helped (9 pounds down in 1 week).

Water retention can be due to your body "holding on to water" because there is an inadequate supply. Pretty much saying, drink more water. Believe it or not.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options

Water retention can be due to your body "holding on to water" because there is an inadequate supply. Pretty much saying, drink more water. Believe it or not.
  • VeryKerri
    Options
    Actually, I drink betwen 12-18 glasses of water a day. I did tell my doctor that because I was under the same impression that you have to drink more water to release water. I asked if I should drink more water and he advised that for my level of activity I was drinking enough. I should not drink more than 1 to 1.5 gallons a day as I am sedentary most of the time. I am drinking about 1 gallon a day now and that was not releasing the water. I also cut my sodium way down and it did nothing. This was an alternative. I am not advocating that for everyone, just giving my experience.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    That's LOT of fluid to retain. Please check with your doctor to rule out medical issues. Not to scare you, but heart and kidney failure can both cause retention of fluids, and that's nothing to mess around with.
  • VeryKerri
    Options
    I did go to my doctor and tests were run. There is no underlying medical reason for it, kidneys are fine and heart is fine.
  • krystizzle
    Options
    This is an old post but have you ever been checked for food sensitivities or allergies? I am gluten sensitive and if i do eat something I shouldnt I gain 5 pounds of water by the next day. This bloat lasts around 2-3 days. I've heard people who are dairy sensitive are the same way.