Have Reached Goal.....But Need Advice......

Options
SueGeer
SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
Reached my goal of 130 today.....a total of 19.2 lost :smile: Mybirthday - so cause for double celebration!!!!! :happy:

However, I'm going away for 4 days at end of next week. So, do I:
a) start maintenance now? or
b) drop a little more before going away to allow for a possible gain when away and start maintenance when I get back?

Thanks all xxxxx

Sue :smile: x

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try changing your goal to 0.5 lb loss/week. This way you may lose slightly more, but you will also not shock your body with a sudden jump up to maintenance calories.
  • netgirl224
    netgirl224 Posts: 64
    Options
    I can't really give advice because I've not hit a goal yet and so have never been in this position but..

I wanted to say Happy Birthday and Congrats, both to you! :) How exciting, awesome job!!!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    can you get any exercise while you're away? Maintenance will up your calories just a bit I believe, but try to make the best choices and still eat clean while you're away. You can do it.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    oh Happy Birthday ! well done !
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm not at goal yet either, but Happy Birthday and CONGRATS !:)
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    Personally, I would go on maintenance now and then not worry about it at all for those 4 days and take it from there when I get back.

I was thinking about my maintenace (should I ever reach it) and I can't imagine eating 1900 kcal a day anymore (around that woulld be my maintenance on my goal weight! YAY). It seems like a lot, considering that I was on 1200 for months and now on 1350 for months. I am like - I don't even know how I would fit all that in!!!
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    And congratulations and happy birthday!!! Well done!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!!!

I'm pretty much at goal myself. Wouldn't object to losing a little more. Don't care if I don't. What I'm doing is sticking with the .5# loss during the week, and "freestyling" on weekends. Not binging (much. :blushing: unless there's something to celebrate.) but not logging and not fretting about going over. I'm looking to slowly wean myself off logging.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many calories you have been eating... If you have constantly been eating at 1200 calories this whole time and jumping to maintainence would all of a sudden make you start eating like 1800 calories that is going to Shock your body.... I would ease up into maintainence... like eat 200 calories more for the next week or two, then jump up a few hundred more calories in a few weeks, and keep doing that until you reach maintainence...

If you have been eating close to maintainence, just shy a few hundred cals, then you should probably be fine to jump to maintainence. As for me, I think I will always remain about 150 calories under my maintainence, simply because MFP's calculated maintainence calories for you, is just an estimate, a very close estimate. But I like having that buffer zone. I would hate to find out that my maintainence was about 150 calories too high, and then start gaining weight after I have worked so hard to get where I am today!

PS HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAVE FUN!
  • markawillis
    Options
    Sorry, I can't help with the advice but AWESOME JOB thanks for your inspiration. And Happy Birthday to you.
  • Lilsquirt64
    Lilsquirt64 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats and Happy Birthday! Great job!
    I was interested in this topic as I am .4 lbs from my goal! Yay! And I am going on vacation in 4 weeks. I have no idea what the difference in calories will be on maintenance for me and was also considering staying on the same plan up until vacation at least so I don't have to worry too much about logging and being as strict on my trip. I like what Kim said about not increasing too much at once for maintenance. That would definitely be a shocker to your body. I would say to enjoy your vacation and make healthy choices when you can, but don't stress about every single thing you put in your mouth! Do some active things and have FUN!!!! That's what I am planning to do!
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I would say keep the lifestyle going as if you didn't reach your final goal...sometimes when we meet a goal we slack of too much and then wonder what happened. Enjoy it and splurge a bit maybe 300 calories of a celebration or something you want to indulge.

My friend wanted to lose weight for her son's wedding and she did and looked great and when she met the goal she forgot to keep going and do it for herself and gained back 30 lbs because she didn't make it a lifestyle that you can adapt to.... for well...life.

Her focus changed and she is in the middle of selling her house and claims she doesn't have time to be focused, but I think that is when people need it the most....when ordinary everyday stresses or life comes in you have to have a consistent lifestyle.

I say keep focused and when you come back maintain.

Happy Birthday and Congratulations....and don't forget to pass on all of your sage advice!
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!

My advice is to change it to .5 and lean off and then go to maintenance. I agree not to shock and up your calories a few hundred. Can't hurt to do it for the next few weeks. This is what I plan to do in 4 more pounds :drinker:
  • MzJae414
    MzJae414 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    GOOD JOB.....IM ENCOURAGED!!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!