Fruits and veggies

Options
ok, I probably sound VERY stupid with this, but I am rethinking my philosophies. So, as I am tracking my food, I have been excluding my produce, thinking that it is more good for you than bad. I have mainly been tracking the "brown" stuff like meats, cheeses, breads, sweets, ect. I know fruits have quite a few calories, so I am going to start counting those, but what about my veggies? Any thoughts?

Replies

• loseronpurpose
    Options
    ok, I probably sound VERY stupid with this, but I am rethinking my philosophies. So, as I am tracking my food, I have been excluding my produce, thinking that it is more good for you than bad. I have mainly been tracking the "brown" stuff like meats, cheeses, breads, sweets, ect. I know fruits have quite a few calories, so I am going to start counting those, but what about my veggies? Any thoughts?
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

ahhh I count every morsel that goes in my mouth:drinker:

Fruits and Veggies are great healthy choices for a person but they still contain calories and carbs and will count toward your daily totals on here. Regarding veggies, yes I add them all in as well, even if some you eat are lower in carbs/calories they still can add up. Carrots vs. Romaine lettuce...you can eat an awful lot of dark greens but carrots and such are more dense so normally have more carb/calories...that rule can vary...but I think you get my point.

Others may have a varied opionion but I count it ALL!:drinker:

Nah....you don't sound stupid...there really are no stupid questions....:drinker:
  • cattgrrrl
    Options
    It could be important to keep track of both fruits and veggies because of the carbs. The fruit is always high in carbs because of the natural sugar. And some veggies are too. So...I would keep track of everything. also if you are cooking any of the veggies, you are probably using an oil of some kind (unless you steam them) so that oil should be included. That's how I see it...
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    I think it depends on your goals. You don't have much to lose. So if your goal is just eating healthier, don't worry about tracking fruits and vegetables if it is too much hassle. If you want to lose those last few pounds then go ahead and track everything you eat.
  • figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would agree that you should put everything in... that way you can also look at your reports and know that they are acurate... it is much more acurate...
    www.mypyramid.gov is a really good way to track your foods so you know you are eating balanced meals and getting the right amount of things in relationship to the recommended daily servings--it's really easy to use. Its the Menu Planner (New). I love it...
    good luck!
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    I think everything should go oin. On average, a piece of fruit is between 50-100 calories. Doesnt taste like it, but it is, lol. Veggies are less, but still add up, plus the carbs. I think you might just like to know the totals
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I count everything except gum. I only chew sugar free and it's like 2 calories. I figure I burn that just opening the wrapper.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Count them. I eat about 200-300 calories in vegetables each day, and another 100-200 calories in fruit. A bite of celery or a mouthful of lettuce may not need to be logged but on the whole. fruits and veggies really add up!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I log just about everthing, but find it tedious to add the onion, green pepper, carrot and garlic as ingredients of lets say macaroni salad.