so frustrating. . .

mcqlove87
mcqlove87 Posts: 59
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I know I'm sup to weigh myself in the mornings, but sometimes I can't help but jump on the scale in the evening. But there is always a 2-3 pound difference! It's so frustrating because I think I've done so great during the day with my eating and working out and then see that it "looks" like I've actually gained weight that day instead of loosing it! Sorry I'm just venting. It's just a little depressing :(

Replies

• Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    I'm the same way sometimes, I just either try to stay as far from the scale as I can, or only count what I see in the morning.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    The higher amount in the evening is most likely undigested food.
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    The higher amount in the evening is most likely undigested food.

it could also just be water retained throughout the day... i used to weigh and night but i hated seeing such a big number change-- so i forbid myself to do it! now i only weight in the mornings and it is SO MUCH less frustrating!

Good Luck on your goals!!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Why weigh in the evening your carrying around all you have eaten all day?...If your going to weigh in evening then do it all the time otherwise you have nothing to base your new weight off of.....I do however suggest weighing in the morning and if you weigh in the evening dont log it or consider it a gain
  • i feel the same way. I am on tamoxifen for breast cancer and have gained 30 pounds. I really am trying hard to get it off. It is depressing. If anyone else is going through this please let me know.
  • Any food or water that you eat during the day will increase your weight thats why you weigh more in the evening that you do in the morning, the best time to weigh yourself is just after you have woken up and done your morning business in the bathroom ,

If you drink a litre of water you will gain 1kg instantly so dont let it worry you!

You dont gain or lose weight in a day you lose or gain it gradually over time, 1 lb of fat is about 3500 calories so to gain 3lb in one day would be a miracle

try and stick to a weekly scale session, same day same time and it will accurately track your progress :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Viewed your diary and you are eating a lot of processed and fast foods. It may be all the sodium. Also you don't seem to be eating at least 3 good healty meals a day. This could be the problem.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    If you must weight yourself in the afternoon, then you must get used to the higher pounds in the afternoon. Generally speaking your weight in the afternoon should mirror your weight in the morning. I.e. should follow the same trends so if you are 150 in the morning and 155 in the afternoon one week and the next week you are 148 in the morning, you should expect to be 153 in the afternoon (or around there). So, essentially, you'll be keeping two sets of numbers in your head. Very rarely are you going to weigh less in the afternoon than in the morning (some cases, yes, but not usually). It shouldn't be depressing, it's just reality for everyone. Just like its just reality when I business travel even when I stick to calories and stick to my workouts each and every day, the scale is normally up when I get home because of the sodium. It's not that my body isn't doing what it's suppose to do - in fact it's doing exactly what its designed to do - retain water when sodium is too high. IT comes off after a few days in the normal zone and flushing out with water. The fat is still coming off - the scale just doesn't indicate it.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Stop weighing in the evenings. Frustration gone.

Also, balance out your meals -- and limit the fast food! Calories do not tell the whole story. You need fresh fruits and veggies -- everyday.
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Yep - same here.
    IF I'm 162 in the morning, I'm 164 at night. I just don't even look anymore.
  • boysandb
    boysandb Posts: 11 Member
    I try to figure out how my slender friend weighs less after spending hours in the garden while I weigh more. I finally read recently about how my muscle structure retains MORE water after being used, to repair the tissue... I am a more muscular build so that makes sense to me. Drink lots of water and check again in the morning. I do the same thing myself, I just can't help myself.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Always weigh in the morning, after a #2...that is what I was told. There can be as much as a 5 pound difference in your weight from morning to evening, especially in this heat. Throughout the day we tend to retain fluid. You have not actually gained anything. Remember, 3500 is a pound. MFP already figures in a deficit for you every day. That means you would have had to eat over 7000 calories to gain 2 pounds. I don't think you have done that. Put the scales away where you can't be tempted to weigh. I love you girl! We should go walking together some evening after it cools off.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Viewed your diary and you are eating a lot of processed and fast foods. It may be all the sodium. Also you don't seem to be eating at least 3 good healty meals a day. This could be the problem.

Cidnee....I didn't even think to look at your diary until I read this. I looked and you aren't eating very healthy girl. It's not just all about the calories. You can stay under your calories and eat foods that are bad for you. First, you are only eating 2 or 3 times a day. Ideally, you should be eating 6 times a day. I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks. Also, like this person says, you are eating a lot of fast food and processed food. Those are loaded with sodium and will make you retain fluid. If you are having to eat out for convenience, please consider starting to pack your lunch. There are so many better things you can be eating. Fresh fruits and veggies, chicken (even rinsed canned chicken), fish, nuts, seeds, berries, melon, cottage cheese, string cheese, yogurt, whole grain breads, etc. I know you don't have that much to lose, but making healthier choices will make it happen much faster, you will feel much better too. Remember why you are doing this...stay strong, you can do this!
  • mcqlove87
    mcqlove87 Posts: 59
    thanks everybody!!!

I know my diet isn't the best, but it has def gotten better since I've started MFP. You should have seen it before! :) I feel like sometimes I just don't have the time or money to eat super healty. And with my schedule I def can't eat 5 times a day. I try to sneak low cal healthy snacks in when I can, but it's really hard. And buying all fresh fruits and veggies all the time is almost a waste of money for us sometimes. It's expensive and i end up throwing most of it away because it doesn't get eaten. And bless my husband's heart, but he usually makes lunch for us, when I get to come home, and it's not always the healthiest meal. I don't want to hurt anyone's feeling and eat a seperate meal from my family. But I do feel like I'm in a rut!!
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Don't count your weight at night... I was 188.6 last night and 185.6 this morning.
    I have been as high as 5 pounds heavier at night.

Or if you do weigh at night, then always weigh at night only. But I find it fluctuates too much at night depending on what and how much dinner I have and if I drink a lot of water before bed.
  • Tules13
    Tules13 Posts: 16
    I understand the throwing fresh fruits and veggies away, something that helped my husband and myself is we started going to a local fruit and veggie stand, the prices for healthy foods is considerably less then the grocery store and we avoid the temptation to buy processed foods... One of the other things we've started is when we buy fruit and veggies (ie. watermelon, cantaloupe, celery, carrots) we prep it that same day cutting it into bite sized pieces or balling it and then it's just reach into the fridge and pull out the container, It's worked really well for our busy lifestyle. Also protein shakes and bars are a life saver for getting in six meals. and they are really easy to just grab and go. Good Luck!!!!
This discussion has been closed.