running outside when it's hot

Options
How hot would you say is too hot to run outside? It is supposed to be 90 degrees later today (around 6-7pm) when i normally run and i'm trying to figure out if will be managable to run outside still.

I have a fuel belt so i could bring water with me... just wondering what others' thresholds are for heat and if i should just bite the bullet and run at the gym today

Replies

• Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Would like to know as well. See many people running in very hot weather but I don't always think it's the wisest thing to do. Would like to see other comments about it from runners
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    bump (sorry that I don't have an answer for you.)
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ETA:
    Just found a Heat:Humidity chart over at Runner's World that shows NOAA generated data as a Heat Index chart showing combinations of heat:humidity that are the upper limit considered safe to run in.

http://tinyurl.com/6hn8lf

As you know, humidity affects perceived temperature, so it is not just one temperature or humidity percentage, but rather a combination...

As everyone else is saying, though, you have to listen to your body. The chart is a helpful reference in case you happen to have a high tolerance for pain. :laugh:

Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • Baker0821
    Baker0821 Posts: 40
    Options
    I don't know how hot is too hot but I'll tell you, it's been too hot for me the last week. It's been still in the mid to upper 90's around 6:00pm. The last time I ran was this past Saturday and I went at 8:00 in the morning and it was already 90 degrees. I was miserable. totally miserable. I got to about mile 3 and thought I was surely going to die. I don't know what I'm going to do short of going at 4am or 10pm! LOL!
  • bertie36
    bertie36 Posts: 8
    Options
    i go first thing as it is cooler. if this is not possible then i would make sure you have water and pace yourself. remember to rehydrate when you get back. sorry if you already know this but weigh yourself before you go and when you get back as a guide to how much water you have lost through sweat and top this up.
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Id like to know too! I ran the other day and it was 98 and muggy as all get out.... I nearly fainted....but had my water and stayed hydrated but i drained me horribly....I try to run in the early morning or late evening now :heart:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends largely on how far you plan on running, for how long and whether you can bring sufficient hydration with you.

By all means that means listening to your body. It is critical that you are aware of your hydration levels and compensate for the heat.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    It depends on the individual. Some people tolerate the heat and humidity better than others. I would give it a try and if you are feeling overheated, stop.

This isn't something that another person can answer for you, unfortunately.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends largely on how far you plan on running, for how long and whether you can bring sufficient hydration with you.

By all means that means listening to your body. It is critical that you are aware of your hydration levels and compensate for the heat.
  • teachinhokie
    teachinhokie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When it is that hot here the humidity is usually killer so I try to rearrange things to run in the mornings if I can. When that doesn't happen I end up running less and walking more because the air is just too heavy. When I'm done I usually wish I had not done it because I never feel like I've worked as hard as usual but I figure at least I did it!

Good luck!
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips/advice! i don't plan on doing too much today, maybe just 3-4 miles. My water bottle holds roughly 20 oz of water, so if i blow through that quicke than expected i will just head back early...

I think i'd be happier outside with a less than great run than running inside on the treadmill!!
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I don't run outside, at least not any sort of distance, if it's above 80-85. 90 is way too hot for me. I lose so much water even on a 60-70 degree day. I do know it depends on the person, too. I know people who would prefer it to be hot. My ideal running temperature is between 50 and 60 degrees, but that's a rare find in the summer.
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    When its 80 plus in the early mornings I take it indoors on the treadmills. I have found outside in hot hot weather I have to slow down and I don't get as good as workout.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    bump
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I live in the south so you just have to get use to it down here. Now show me a cold day (like 40) and I DIE.
    I run in the am mostly. I am out the door by 5am and its usually mid 70's but humidity is higher. Late in the day like after 5 is the hottest but less humid. Mid Day there is little shade. I run anywhere b/w 4-6 miles Mon-Fri and a long run like 8-10 plus miles on the weekends. I do carry a fuel belt for my long but not for my short runs. I also try to run by a gas station or a area with a water foutain etc on the my long runs so I know I can refuel. I had my hubby drive by and throw Gatorade out the window to me last summer mararthon training
  • veggievixen
    veggievixen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Some words on hot running...

Some of it depends on acclimation, if you normally run in 50-60 temps and one day is 95, not uncommon where I'm at, that 95 is a lot more dangerous than a month straight of 91. You can run in the heat, it just takes time and not overdoing it. Listen to your body and err on the side of caution. This is not a case where whatever doesn't kill you... Stay cool the rest of the day, like all stresses on the body we adapt best with limited amounts of it. Cut time, distance, or both until you feel stronger in those conditions.

A bathtub full of cold water and ice feels pretty good when I get home. Not only will it rapidly bring your core temp back down it will also constrict blood vessels temporarily reducing blood volume and swelling.
  • FlashBang
    FlashBang Posts: 136
    Options
    Acclimation is another word for training. Most people can acclimate to cooler or hotter temps you just have to ease intoit like any other form of fitness. Pretty soon I will wake up to 90+ degree temps and 100+ in the afternoons. You could just do the treadmill but climate fitness is something we should strive for. Just be careful like every other form of training, slow and easy, but challenging. In the heat you do not just get sore you can get sick or even die, so, be good to yourself.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I'm in Texas and my first run in 90+ was NOT fun lol..it does take a few runs to adjust. I had to bring water, slow my pace down and give it some time. I moved my running time from 7:30pm to 8 so the sun isn't beating down still and it has helped. It is still 90 at 8pm but it is manageable. I'm only running 5k distances right now though so if you run longer/further you may want to do some reading on how to prepare and acclimate.
  • ChristinaMarie85
    ChristinaMarie85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I cannot run/jog in the heat!! The other day I decided to take a shot at at it, it was about 90 degrees (I think, maybe more) and it's about a 2 mile walk around the park. I was only 1/2 way and jogged for for 2-3 mins total (can usually go much longer than that), and omg I thought I was gonna puke or faint! I was miserable the rest of the walk. Note, I didn't have my water w/me, I left it in the car - smart, hu? lol. I left after only one round (30 mins) and I can usually go 2-3 rounds. I think it just depends on you. I saw a few other ppl going round and round and I thougt, WTH!? lmao I just can't handle that much heat while running/jogging.
  • ChristinaMarie85
    ChristinaMarie85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm in Texas and my first run in 90+ was NOT fun lol..it does take a few runs to adjust. I had to bring water, slow my pace down and give it some time. I moved my running time from 7:30pm to 8 so the sun isn't beating down still and it has helped. It is still 90 at 8pm but it is manageable. I'm only running 5k distances right now though so if you run longer/further you may want to do some reading on how to prepare and acclimate.

I live in TX, too. And, nope it sure wasn't fun running in 90+ weather! lol But I'm going to take your advice and try to work slowly into it. Maybe just start off w/walks later in the day, b/c you're right, it is still pretty hot. Hopefully, I'll build up acclimation (as others said) and will be able to at least jog. AND, I'M BRINGING MY WATER!!! lmao I just hate carrying it, but it's better than not having it at all.
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Before running in super hot weather, I would start my day drinking tons of water because you can get dehydrated so easily; once you are outside running and your body is dehydrated you can't really catch up... you will get dehydrated before you even start feeling the effects. Well I live in Mississippi and the weather has been high 90s with 80-100% humidity. The only time I see people running outside is like 9pm, lol, otherwise everyone is in the gym. I don't think I could run outside in heat like this.