Can you use whole wheat flour in baked goods?

Options
Jellyphant
Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
I bought whole wheat flour instead of all purpose white in an attempt to use better ingredients, but I found a slammin' recipe of low cal carrot cake, which calls for all purpose white flour.
Can it be substituted for whole wheat or will it ruin it? I've never used anything but white before..

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I always cook with whole wheat flour. In banana bread, muffins, rolls... I think it's delicious!

Edit to add: I don't think it will ruin the flavor at all! I'd also like to see this recipe you speak of! :o)
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing half and half. You can try all whole wheat (not going to kill ya), but the texture may not be as good.
  • cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    Absolutely! Although I would try substituting half first.
  • ♥♥YoungMrs♥♥
    Options
    Bump
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    absolutely! I love whole wheat pancakes!
  • mykismitty
    mykismitty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this because I have been wanting to know the same thing. I refuse to use all purpose flour anymore, it's either wheat or nothing!
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I really like the flavor of whole wheat flour, but the texture is quite different. If the a light, fluffy texture is a big part of the recipe, I wouldn't switch, or try putting 1 or 2 Tablespoons of whole wheat flour in the bottom of each cup of white flour, then fill the rest of the cup with white flour. But for most other recipes, I would recommend 1/2 and 1/2, at least as you adjust to whole wheat.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I usually make pie crusts with half and half or 4:1 whole wheat, and I think they taste better than the ones with just white -- a little bit of a nutty flavor, and more texture.
  • pegdorf44
    pegdorf44 Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes, that's all I use. Much better for you even though baked goods aren't really in my diet right now.
  • tammywho327
    tammywho327 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Another alternative to Flour is to use whey protein. . .its an even exchange and makes things super healthy (although too much protein isn't always good). I use it in my cupcakes and pancakes for a healthier sweet! That way I don't have to feel bad about eating my sweets!

In my experience its best to add a bit more liquid than the recipe calls for in order to prevent dryness, but the chocolate whey makes delicious cupcakes. Plain for pancakes and vanilla cakes. Haven't tried strawberry yet, but I bet you could make a mean strawberry cake with it!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It's not the best low cal recipe in the world, which is why I'm trying my hand at tweaking some of the ingredients. I got it off of Yahoo in the Shine food section:
    (Downside is they didn't include nutritional info too. -___- )

Lightened Carrot Cake

Ingredients
    Carrot Cake Batter
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    2 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 tsp. salt
    1 (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 large eggs
    2 egg whites
    1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
    3 cups grated carrots
    Vegetable Cooking Spray

Cream Cheese Frosting
    1/2 (8-oz.) package 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
    2 Tbsp. butter, softened
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    3 cups powdered sugar
    1 to 2 tsp. fat-free milk (optional)

Preparation
    Prepare Batter: Preheat oven to 350°. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Whisk together pineapple and next 4 ingredients; add pineapple mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in carrots. Pour batter into 2 (8-inch) round cake pans coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 350° for 22 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans to a wire rack; cool completely (about 1 hour).

Prepare Frosting: Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar to butter mixture; beat at low speed just until blended. (Do not overbeat.) Beat in up to 2 tsp. milk for desired consistency. Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting, and top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.

Actual link for pics: http://shine.yahoo.com/event/southernfood/classic-southern-food-gone-light-2494184/;_ylt=Ak06NTcd3jZJsaBCckeBkIijhaU5