Food

Options
I do really good through out the day eating, watching what I eat and monitoring my calories but at night when I am home all I want to do is eat....... any suggestions????? I can have plenty to do but I still eat and it doesn't matter what it is and I know I need self control, will power, whatever else any logical answer would be, I need some knew ideas!!!!!!

Replies

• ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out WHY you eat at night the way you do. Is it from being bored? stressed? of are you really hungry. For the first two options what I do is grab some water and head out for a walk, workout on my Wii or go read a book outside or far from the kitchen area as I can. I find that distracting myself usually helps, plus I tend not to keep "junk food" in the house and if its there its high up in the pantry and work for me to get too.

IF you are hungry then snack on fruits and veggies. Veggies especially can be filling and low calorie. During the day I would suggest eating more protein -it keeps you fuller than just eating a bunch of carbs.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out WHY you eat at night the way you do. Is it from being bored? stressed? of are you really hungry. For the first two options what I do is grab some water and head out for a walk, workout on my Wii or go read a book outside or far from the kitchen area as I can. I find that distracting myself usually helps, plus I tend not to keep "junk food" in the house and if its there its high up in the pantry and work for me to get too.

IF you are hungry then snack on fruits and veggies. Veggies especially can be filling and low calorie. During the day I would suggest eating more protein -it keeps you fuller than just eating a bunch of carbs.

Totally agree. :)
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm bored. I love to eat and I am always bored. So, for me, finding hobbies to do after work keeps my hand out of the cookie jar (so to speak).
  • Farmgirl67
    Farmgirl67 Posts: 54
    Options
    I'm the exact same. I do well while I'm at work and busy, but the minute I hit the door at home I want to eat everything in sight. I have plenty to do, but I could eat and sweep the floors at the same time. Crazy huh? I have found that if I keep some fruits and veggies cut and ready to eat then I am more likely to eat them instead of the cookies, candy, chips etc. Good Luck and I hope you get some good suggestions.
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I get like this sometimes. On your next shopping trip don't buy the things you like to snack on in the evenings. If it's not there, you can't eat it.

Buy some low-fat jellies or something very low cal that will feel like you're having something but won't ruin your cal intake for the day.

When you think you're hungry wait 20 minutes and then re-think if you still want what you were craving.

Are you getting enough sleep?
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you are truly hungry and not just bored or whatever, instead of snacking take the time to eat a proper meal. Have a good lean protein and a complex carb i.e. fruits, veggies whatever. You'll end up eating less than if you snack on whatever and you'll end up more satisfied in the end.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    When I was really bad about mindless eating at night it was a way to unwind. Sometimes I'd just wanted the motion of hand to mouth and just not think, other times I was so wound up about something stressful in my life that I used it as a distraction while I thought through the issue.

If you are really truly hungry, keep a zip lock bag of fresh veggies to munch on. If you don't want them you probably aren't truly hungry. Eventually after repeating to myself that I wasn't really hungry and that eating a box of crackers or piles of cookies wouldn't help, only leave me feeling crappy tomorrow I slowly was able to kick the habit.

Gum helps too. Sometimes it felt like I had to chew a pack in a sitting but it got me through those tough times until eventually I broke the habit.