Is running in place as good as running?

Options
It is POURING out right now, and I want to run, but I'm not into getting soaked. Would it be okay if I jogged in place instead? Would that be the same?

Replies

• Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Its not as affective but it still burns the calories. Bring the rain to San Antonio, Texas PLEASE!!!!!

8224442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Go out and run even if it is raining. I promise you it feels good, the rain keeps you cool when you get all hot and flustered and you can really push yourself!! Try it once and see what you think, you might love it! :)
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    you got a jump rope?
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Go out and run even if it is raining. I promise you it feels good, the rain keeps you cool when you get all hot and flustered and you can really push yourself!! Try it once and see what you think, you might love it! :)

I used to run in the rain when I was a teenager oh so many years ago, lol. I don't think I'd mind as much if it were warmer! Maybe I'll get brave. Or maybe I'll just pull the car out of the garage and run in circles, lol.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    you got a jump rope?

No, is that as good as running? I can go get one!
  • losinfat4good
    Options
    you will still burn lots of calories, but why not go try running in the rain ... long as there is not lightening and all that.. =)
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I actually like running in the rain too. As for your question - no, I think it is quite a bit less. If you run in place you only kinda move yourself up and down. If you run outside, a lot of the running is propelling yourself forward

And jumping rope is probably better if you do it right
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

I used to run in the rain when I was a teenager oh so many years ago, lol. I don't think I'd mind as much if it were warmer! Maybe I'll get brave. Or maybe I'll just pull the car out of the garage and run in circles, lol.

LOL
    i agree with jumping rope. That is GREAT cardio !! Running in place isn't nearly as effective as actual running. The circles trick might work, but sounds a little boring & you may get severe dizziness, LOL
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    you got a jump rope?

No, is that as good as running? I can go get one!

yep. go to the calorie exercise calculator, compare your running pace and time with jumping rope. it's great!
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    If you do run in place maybe instead of just "running" do high knees or butt kicks, or alternate them both.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I use a step platform and do step aerobics in the house when its raining and I don't want to walk outside. The calories burned seemed to be alot in that and it has worked for me so far. Although I tend to think the calories burned in that seem high so if I do 25 minutes of the step aerobics I log in that I did 20 minutes only. Good Luck!!
  • MissConfidence
    Options
    If you do run in place maybe instead of just "running" do high knees or butt kicks, or alternate them both.

this
  • ChristinaMarie85
    ChristinaMarie85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I live in TX, so it's too hot to go out and run/walk during my lunch. So I usually just run in place in an empty office. But recently I found that if I log it as running (jogging) in place, I get the same reading as I would if I ran 5.2 mph. It's weird lol. But anyway, to me, running in place is better than nothing! And I tried running in circles in that empty office, but it was just too small. I'd def do it in a garage if I could! lol And I also agree w/those who said to do high knees or butt kicks, or alternate them both. That's what I do, actually.