weight lifting

Options
Hey guys! i was checking the post and saw that the lovely women of mfp have a heavy lifters post. It sounds like a good idea and was wondering if any of the guys would want to do the same to keep up on our strength training progress. im just getting back into it myself after a four year lay off and thought it would be a good idea.

rite now i stand as follows from my work out today
bench: 225lbs for set of 10reps 235 for 8 reps and 245 for 4 to 6 reps. 4 alone. last two with spotter help.
curls: 80lbs for 10 reps 85lbs for 8 reps 90lbs for seven
tris: french curls: 95 for 8 reps 110 lbs for 6 reps
strict form and not swinging or throwing weights.

any ideas on how to keep track or what exercises to keep track of would be great. if anybody is interseted.

Replies

• nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    Hey guys! i was checking the post and saw that the lovely women of mfp have a heavy lifters post. It sounds like a good idea and was wondering if any of the guys would want to do the same to keep up on our strength training progress. im just getting back into it myself after a four year lay off and thought it would be a good idea.

rite now i stand as follows from my work out today
    bench: 225lbs for set of 10reps 235 for 8 reps and 245 for 4 to 6 reps. 4 alone. last two with spotter help.
    curls: 80lbs for 10 reps 85lbs for 8 reps 90lbs for seven
    tris: french curls: 95 for 8 reps 110 lbs for 6 reps
    strict form and not swinging or throwing weights.

any ideas on how to keep track or what exercises to keep track of would be great. if anybody is interseted.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    a bump for the guys on sunday mornind.now this lady will gracefully bow out.
  • nichols
    Options
    well ladies. since it seems i cant get any of the guys interested. can i just keep track with u guys on your post for inspiration. strength is strength and an increase is an increase no matter how u look at it. :frown:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I say yes...although I'm not on that post since I am not lifting heavy yet...but I say go in there and post...support is support...and we all need encouragement...best wishes on your weight loss and fitness goals :smile:
  • hnlymark
    Options
    Hello. Sorry, I am in the middle of a move and haven't been able to get in here like normal. In fact, all my weights are in Ohio and I'm in Tennessee! BUT, I am very interested in a thread like this. Hopefully I will get back into a steady routine in a week or so. For now, my progress as of my last workout (about a week ago) was:

Body Weight: 185
    Chest: 43"
    Biceps: 13.5"
    Waist: 36"
    Neck: 16"
    Day 1
    Bench Press: 3 sets of 6 at 180lbs (total)
    Tricep Press: 3 sets of 6 at 40lbs (each)
    Barbell Pullover: 3 sets of 6 at 70lbs (total)
    Incline Dumbell Bench Press: 3 sets of 8 at 50lbs (each)
    Military Press: 3 sets of 6 at 90lbs (total)
    Flutter Kicks: 3 sets of 75
    Day 2
    Dumbell Rows: 3 sets of 8 at 100lbs (each)
    Seated Dumbell Curls: 3 sets of 6 at 50lbs (each)
    Batwings: 3 sets of 10 at 50lbs (each)
    Standing Barbell Curl: 3 sets of 6 at 80lbs (total)
    Reverse Flies: 3 sets of 8 at 20lbs (each)
    Crunches: 3 sets of 30 at 50lbs
    Day 3
    Squats: 3 sets of 8 at 60lbs (total)
    Romanian Deadlift: 3 sets of 8 at 50lbs (each)
    Leg Extensions: 3 sets of 10 at 50lbs (total)
    Calf Raises: 3 sets of 8 at 25lbs (each)
    Single Leg Deadlift: 3 sets of 10

I have knee issues so I have been easing into the leg workout. I suspect I will go backwards somewhat due to the recent interuptions to my routine. Hopefully some more guys will chime in here. If not, the women don't scare me (too much anyway). :laugh:
  • nichols
    Options
    i hear ya. Hope alot more join in with this. (injuries suck) had a set back on doing squats and tore scar tissue the other day, man does it burn. had a back surgery and thought i could still do the three sets with the 315 and up. it was good for three weeks then boy was i was wrong, now sticking with leg extensions, curls and calf raises.
    leg extensions 3x10 reps with 300 by machine weight
    leg curls 3x10 reps with 190 by machine weight.
    calf raises 3x20 with 315. i take off my shoes to get a better stretch. (great tip i was shown myself)
    military press 3x8 with 85 dumbells each hand or 225 on hammer strength machine
    standing flies 3x10 with 25
    bent over rear flies 3x15 20
    hang cleans 3x 8 with 135 (great for delts and traps)
    shrugs 3x20 with 120 lb dumbells or 6 45lb plates on sitting shrug machine. if i dont do shrugs i do farmers walks with 100 lb dumbells. (also great exercise for building strong wide shoulders big forearms and greatly improving grip).
    good luck to every one and god bless.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    well ladies. since it seems i cant get any of the guys interested. can i just keep track with u guys on your post for inspiration. strength is strength and an increase is an increase no matter how u look at it. :frown:

absolutely!! Anyone is welcome Psyknife rocks keeping up on the thread so you come on in Nicols!:drinker:
  • hnlymark
    Options
    Hello All,
    Still no workout today. I did finish loading my crap and drove for eight hours. Doesn't exactly qualify as strength training. Oh well. I checked in this morning and even though I have been eating garbage lately I still managed to lose 2 more pounds. If I can get rid of about eight more I will increase calories and start working for strength in earnest. I will assemble my bench tomorrow and get back in the groove with my chest / biceps routine.
    Talk to Ya'll Later :drinker:
  • dschaben
    Options
    I am a wimp
    I haven't lifted for about five years and want to start again. Back when I lifted I was doing sets of 12 10 8 6 (Progressivly increasing weight) with 2 sets of 12 (lighter weight) With about a 1 minute break between sets. Not much for heavy lifting, but could get a cardio workout with my weight training. Alternating between upper body and lower body every other day. If I could get back into this routine, I would be happy, just haven't figured out how to make it fit my schedule.

After that long of a stretch without any lifting I will have to start slow so I don't kill myself. I will try an keep you posted. I started getting up early every morining this week (it is now Tuesday) to stretch. If I can get a good week or two of stretching in without killing myself I will try and hit the weights. I am way beyond out of shape