HRM?

Options
Hello MFP family, I am getting ready to buy a HRM off the internet (probably Amazon), but I don't know what kind it should be. I need help from those who have them. What brand do you have or what is the best brand? Is it better to get the watch type or chest strap type? I have been working out for months now with no HRM, and I am tried of not knowing how much I am burning. Also, can I get a HRM that will also tell my distance when it comes to running since I am doing C25K. Thanks in advance. I appreciate any advice that can be given.

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7 and it comes with the chest strap.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I also have the polar. It works great! Whichever one you buy, it needs a chest strap to be accurate.
  • ladyjammie
    ladyjammie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the sportline duo. You can check your heart rate on demand or use the chest strap. It's working great for me.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP family, I am getting ready to buy a HRM off the internet (probably Amazon), but I don't know what kind it should be. I need help from those who have them. What brand do you have or what is the best brand? Is it better to get the watch type or chest strap type? I have been working out for months now with no HRM, and I am tried of not knowing how much I am burning. Also, can I get a HRM that will also tell my distance when it comes to running since I am doing C25K. Thanks in advance. I appreciate any advice that can be given.

The one that show distance are quite $ as they have built in GPS. If you are looking for the best bang for your buck Polar FT4 is great.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Get a Polar and you def. need one with a chest strap, as they are the most accurate.

I also know that Garmin is good for running... it seems that a lot of people who like to run have that brand.

If you can, steer clear of TImex... they are horrible at estimating calories.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    BCA - I have the FT4 myself - but Polar Brand WITH the strap for SURE!!!
    Love the FT4 and like Erickirb - I did not need the GPS from the FT7 so... FT4 is the way to go
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7 and it comes with the chest strap.
    Seconded!
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I agree with these guys... The GPS kind are way too expensive and you can get the same from a 99 cent iPhone app. :)
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and absolutly love it. The chest strap is comfy and it makes it so accurate. I wore it a few days ago on vacation, and was using the treadmill at the hotel. It was Polar ready and both heart rates were the same. I wouldn't trade my FT7 for anything
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Most of the folks on here love their Polars. I have a Suunto T3d, which works great for me. If you want distance too, use Mapmyrun.com or get the Nike+ adapter for your iPod. If you have an iPhone, you are already good to go there.

I had a Garmin 405cx, and returned it. Had issues iwth the software updates and it just wasn't worth the money. :D
  • LynnieSkinny
    Options
    I just purchased a Timex T5G971 Unisex HRM (off of Amazon) and I would recommend you stay FAR away from this one! I returned it the same day I got it in the mail, but it was so inexpensive and the reviews were pretty good that I had to try it. Based on lots of good recommendations from the MFP community I ordered a Polar FT4 (seems to be pretty popular) from heartratemonitorsusa.com. They are having a good sale right now too with free shipping!
  • PaleoIsPossible
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 after doing a lot of research, and I LOVE LOVE LOOOOVE it! And they're on sale right now at Sports Authority for like $99. But you can get them off of Amazon for I believe like $81.

The chest strap is super comfy. The HRM also keeps records, so you can see how you've improved, it's water proof, has a back light, displays how many calories you've burned, etc. It'll also tell you whether you are in the weight loss or fitness zone depending on your HR, which is really helpful.

Good luck on the hunt!
  • Sueboo31
    Sueboo31 Posts: 128
    Options
    I got the Timex personal trainer because it was rated #1 by Consumer Reports. Well, it sucked and I sent it back. It was not accurate at all. My sister-in-law had the same one and hers just stopped working. Prior to her Timex my SIL had a Polar and said it worked great for years so I'm going to try the Polar....seems like the HRM of choice here anyway and it was #2 on the Consumer Reports list. Good luck.
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have two polars in my home. One for me and one for hubby. They are well worth the investment. =) As others have said they are really accurate and pretty comfortable.

As for tracking the distance, do you have an android phone? You can use Cardio Trainer (a free app) to map your runs while you go. That is what I use and LOVE it. =) Or you can track them online on a variety of sites. My friend uses this one (http://www.mapmywalk.com/) and loves it.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for an HRM as well.

For the chest strap with the Polar FT4.. is it adustable or do you go by size?
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    some of the brands sell the straps in s,m,l, but the ones I've seen are just adjustable.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I purchased a Polar FT40 a few weeks ago to replace my old Polar (which didn't calculate calories burned) and I :heart: the FT40.

You can search the internet for specials and lowest prices if you are shopping for a HRM on sites like Amazon, sporting stores, ebay, etc.

I searched and bought both of mine on heartratemonitors dot com and also found an online coupon for it and saved an additional $10.00 in addition to it being on sale at the time I purchased it.

**** Actually I just checked 2 days ago after receiving an email about a sale on heartratemonitors dot com and the FT40 that I bought is now on sale for $129.66 with free UPS 1 - 2 days delivery. I paid around $149.95 on sale when I got my FT40 so this is now a good price for anyone looking at the FT40 !

And for anyone looking at the FT7 (another popular HRM with members on here) - it is also on sale for $82.17 with free shipping !

The FT4 is on sale for $73.99 with free shipping as well ****
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I purchased a Polar FT40 a few weeks ago to replace my old Polar (which didn't calculate calories burned) and I :heart: the FT40.

You can search the internet for specials and lowest prices if you are shopping for a HRM on sites like Amazon, sporting stores, ebay, etc.

I searched and bought both of mine on heartratemonitors dot com and also found an online coupon for it and saved an additional $10.00 in addition to it being on sale at the time I purchased it.

**** Actually I just checked 2 days ago after receiving an email about a sale on heartratemonitors dot com and the FT40 that I bought is now on sale for $129.66 with free UPS 1 - 2 days delivery. I paid around $149.95 on sale when I got my FT40 so this is now a good price for anyone looking at the FT40 !

And for anyone looking at the FT7 (another popular HRM with members on here) - it is also on sale for $82.17 with free shipping !

The FT4 is on sale for $73.99 with free shipping as well ****

I just looked up the FT7 on this website, and this is what I plan on getting once I get my extra check at the end of the month. I just hope the sale is still on. I am going to go with the majority here, Polar FT7 with chest strap.
  • dwellsouth
    dwellsouth Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Great thread with lots of tips for the newbie to HRMs like me!

I bought a Schwinn HRM off Amazon strictly for price and it seems to work very well but I can barely figure out how to use the thing, to be honest. So far I've managed to figure out how long I've been exercising and what my heart rate is and my calorie burn but that's about it. It has the chest strap heart monitor and the digitals on the wrist watch. I bought it a year ago but just started using it recently. There is an instruction booklet (complicated to me) and no online manual.
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Do NOT buy the watch type HRM. I purchased one from amazon and was soo excited about it. As soon as I got in the mail, I put it on and went to the gym. I played racquetball for 60 minutes at an intense, competitive level. I was sweating, red in the face, and sore... and the damn thing said I only burnt 25 calories!!! Ummm... NO. So I posted a topic on here and everyone said I should have bought a chest strap type. I took the thing back and got my money.