Help with Shin Splints

Options
I don't know what is up with my body, but it seems that no matter what I do I get Shin Splints. I was trying to do Couch to 5K, and after running for 2 days I am in A LOT of pain, each time. I am not sure what to do at this point :/ I even get them doing the 30 Day Shred (during cardio). I have good running shoes (custom fit at a running store), and I have rested my shins for long period of time when I get them, but nothing i do seems to help. I have stopped running thinking that maybe I am just not built for it, but I REALLY do not want to stop doing the 30 Day Shred.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• healthysew
    healthysew Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    me too! it hurts so bad and frusturating, want to see the responses
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I just read somewhere suggesting to walk stairs backwards as an exercise to eliminate shin splits. I'm much better if I can avoid running on pavement..
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    Sorry to say that I had to stop doing the 30DS for that reason alone. No matter how I modified it, I was in agony.

I know somewhere on the boards there are some exercises that people recommend, but they didn't help me either.

I totally sympathize with you!:sad: :sad:
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    oh! and stretch before and after and if they start to hurt back off and gradually increase
  • steveren0
    steveren0 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I had shin splints, I found that walking around in my house on my heels helped some.. Also, lie down on the bed face down with your toes hanging over the end of the bed, then curl your feet/toes up using the mattress as resistance.
    Time and these exercises helped me eventually, but shin splints are definitely no fun.
    Good luck!!
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've found nothing beats a good stretch! I've learned ways to maneuver my foot so I get a good stretch up the side of my calf - try with your hands against the wall, one foot back in a sort of "runners lunge" and the other forward - straighten the leg that's forward all the way, and then sort of rotate your foot in different positions until you feel a deep stretch on the side, where you usually get shin splints - repeat a few times - makes a world of difference!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Well, first thing would be shoes, but you've got that covered. Do you stretch your shins? Try sitting on your couch, pointing your toe, and then writing out the alphabet with your toe. Do that three times with each foot, twice a day, every day, for a week or so (while you let them rest). Ice also helps. Are you able to run or workout on a softer surface? Grass/dirt is much easier on the body than concrete. It could be how your foot lands as well. It happens from heavy impact, so see if you can soften your strides to lessen your impact.
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    When my son was in basic training in the army 2 years ago he and several other recruits had problems with shin splints. After the pain went away, they were told to walk around on their heels when indoors for 5 - 10 minutes a day. I don't know why but but worked for all of them and it worked for me when I started the couch 2 5k as well.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I used to get them all the time until I started doing workouts in minimalist/barefoot. I never have a problem anymore. I found my custom shoes were to controlling and forcing my body to fight against them. I let my body natural react to things now and all pain is gone.
  • losethechalupa
    losethechalupa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and was so discouraged doing c25k :(

I googled shin splints and found several artlcles on the subject to strengthen your shins and warming up good before attempting to run. There are things you can do during your work day while stting at your desk to strengthen the shins. I unfortunately have not have success with this method. A friend of mine who has just run her first 1/2 marathon said the trick for her is working out on the elliptical 10 - 20 minutes before her run and she never gets shin splints, but if she runs w/o this warm up,....shin splints!

Im curious to see what other people have to say.
  • ElectroBomber
    Options
    I am doing couch to 5k too! and I started to get shin splints. I just bought Superfeet insoles to put into my Nikes and they have almost eliminated the pain. They are about 35 bucks at REI.
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    there are shin splint stretches you can do before, and after you run.. try those. they helped for me
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I've never done the 30 DS, so I don't know what's all involved there.All I can offer is ice, advil and doing low-impact workouts, like cycling or swimming. It sounds dumb, but walk backward. It helps keep them from happening, but I'm not sure about doing when you've already got them.

Try doing a search of the boards. I know there are a lot of people on here dealing with it. Best of luck!
  • SNorris01
    SNorris01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are caused by the tendon(s) that runs up and down the front of your leg opposite side of your calf. Typically what you do to help is to rest it, bike, stationary training until the pain (swelling if any is gone). Also anti-inflammatory meds can help too. Such as Ibuprofen. To prevent it, do calf raises, also toe pointers, stand on one foot with the foot that is off the ground roll it in one direction ten times then in the other 10 times, do 2 to 3 sets of these daily. That will help stretch the tendon in leg. Anything that you feel will stretch that tendon. Rolling a can under your the balls of your feet will help as well.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I wonder if something is off with your stride. My personal guess would be that you are putting too much weight in the ball of your foot and not enough in the heel. Are you getting your heels down completely with every step/jump?

However, this sounds like a case where it would be really good to get a physical therapist to evaluate you. Without seeing you actually do the things that hurt, it can be hard to make a good assesment.

Maybe in the meantime do the low-impact version on 30DS and/or no impact workouts, like swimming or using an elliptical?
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This has become common among some of my fellow bootcampers, me included after a week of intense running. My trainer suggests calf stretches. If you do yoga start in the "down-ward dog" position, try to get your heels down to the ground as comfortably as possible, push into it with your arms, hold, then take one foot and wrap it around the other ankle, and hold for a few seconds. Switch.

Also try stretching out your calves by standing on the edge of stair step with just your toe and dropping your heel down and hold.

He has also suggested buying a foam roller (available at most sporting goods stores) using that daily. Sit on the ground with your legs out in front of you, position the roller under your calves, place one foot over the ankle, hold yourself up using your arms and gently move the roll back and forh. Bonus this is also a ar/tricep workout!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Warming up, cooling down, pausing, stretching, and ice.

Walk before you run, always. Try for 5 minutes or a quarter mile.
    If your legs start to hurt really badly during a run, stop and stretch your shins. I take a lunge position, but then straighten out my front leg pointing strong through my toe.
    After you run, cool down. Walk 5 minutes or a quarter mile. Then go through you static stretches, featuring lots of toe points.
    The next big thing: ice your shins! It relieves the pain a lot and makes me feel oodles better during my next run. Take a ibuprofen if you need to.

Other than that, watch your form. You're probably heel striking to hard, which causes shin splints (and can be from improper form and/or running on too ahrd of surfaces). Trying lifting up more on your toes. It will be difficult and feel strange at first, but it's easier on your shin.

If you didn't know, shin splints are caused by your calf basically overworking your shin muscles. Your calf is a large, strong muscle. Your shin is not. When you run and lead forward with your heel, this is flexing your shin, causing it to work hard and contract like crazy. By running further forward on your foot, your shin contracts less.

Good luck!
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would also add to not do any of the great strengthening exercises other people have mentioned until you've gone a few days without antigonizing the shin splints. Otherwise you'll just aggrevate the tendons that already hurt and make the pain worse.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is up with my body, but it seems that no matter what I do I get Shin Splints. I was trying to do Couch to 5K, and after running for 2 days I am in A LOT of pain, each time. I am not sure what to do at this point :/ I even get them doing the 30 Day Shred (during cardio). I have good running shoes (custom fit at a running store), and I have rested my shins for long period of time when I get them, but nothing i do seems to help. I have stopped running thinking that maybe I am just not built for it, but I REALLY do not want to stop doing the 30 Day Shred.

Any suggestions?

Did you run two days in a row? This could be it. In C25K you are only supposed to run 3 days a week to allow your muscles time to rest and build up to running.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    you're gonna get all kinds of advice. My recommendations are things that helped me battle through them over the years.

Ideally, backing off from running is the best option, however, when I'm competing in running races, that isn't an option. You may just want to take a day off after each running day.

other ideas:
    -wrap your lower legs with gel packs after exercise (I think 20 minutes was the limit).

-wrap a bungee cord (or other stretchy band) around a solid object (couch leg). You are going to want to sit opposite the stretch band, hook it over the top of your foot (so you are facing it like you about to do a stretch), and curl your toes back towards you so that band offers resistance. Do a few sets of 10-12 on each leg.
    -Another exercise to do the same thing is to sit on a high chair (like a bar stool), and hold a dumbbell between your feet. You want to make sure the weight doesn't touch the floor. Now just curl the weight up and down with only your toes.

these exercises help strengthen the muscles on the front of your leg. sometimes shin splints come from unbalanced muscle (calves much stronger/ tighter than the front of the leg).

Ibuprofen 2-3 hours before running also helped me.