Anyone have any easy recipes with minimal ingredients?

Options
2»

Replies

• thelandofwin
    Options
    If you like tuna, you may like fish tacos. I love these because they are extremely simple and super fast. I prefer mahi mahi for the fish that I use but you can use any fish that you like. This takes about 10 minutes total not including the grill preheating time.

Preheat Grill on Medium High (needs to cook at about 400-425 degrees)
    Squeeze 1 fresh lime per filet (and reserve extra lime for after cooking) and let rest while grill is preheating
    Use an ample amount of kosher or sea salt to cover filets (this makes a nice crust)
    Grill fish (time varies, we do 2-4 minutes per side)
    Heat up black beans in saucepan on medium to medium low heat while fish is grilling
    Let fish rest for 4-5 minutes, cut avocado
    Wrap tortillas in wet papertowel and microwave for 20-30 seconds until soft and warm
    Construct tacos, serve with a slice of lime and 1-2 slices of avocado per taco

Generic - Fresh Mahi Filet, 4 oz calories = 90
    Guerrero - Corn Tortillas - White, 2 tortillas calories = 140
    Goya - Black Beans - 15.5oz Can, 1/2 cup (122g) calories = 90
    Sour cream (I like a scoop of sourcream on my black beans)- Reduced fat, 1 tbsp calories = 20
    Vegetable - Avocado - California, 0.25 Avocado(173g) calories = 77

Total Calories = 417 (340 without avocado)

PS: Snapper, tilapia, cod, or other whitefish are good alternatives.
    PSPS: Other additions in place or with avocado are tomato, shredded red cabbage, roasted corn with diced bell peppers, chipotle cream sauce, chipotle mayo, red onions
  • aswearingen
    Options
    Invest in a Foreman grill (I have a generic one) You can toss on chicken breast, hamburgers, pork chops, anything really. They dont take long. Another fave is to wrap a few small potatoes in foil and put them in the crockpot. 8 hrs on low and 4 hrs on high. Maybe less if you only do a few. Then when you are home from work the only cook time is the meat. Add a salad and done. A good site is www.skinnytaste.com
    Another plus is you can cook an extra breast, chop, ect for lunch the next day in for a wrap or salad.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Try Cooking Light. They have so many free recipes online and they do a special section on "speedy" dinners and "5 ingredient" stuff. They also have a great special collection that is made with things you probably have in your pantry already.

Good luck!

http://www.cookinglight.com
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific recipe to share, however, I am in the same boat as you. I have a 5 year old and a 6 month old and don't have alot of time to cook or prep. I love crock pot meals, however, my husband is not a huge fan of them and once again, many recipes still require a good deal of prep time. More than I have. So, instead I purchased the Cooks Essential's 6 qt digital pressure cooker from QVC. This is the BEST BUY I have ever made in my life and the whole family is happy. I don't make stews or crockpot type meals in it--although I could if I wanted. I'm HORRIBLE about remembering to thaw things in time. With my pressure cooker it's no issue. I can take rock-hard frozen chicken straight from the deep freeze, throw it into the pressure cooker with some cream of mushroom soup, or BBQ sauce, or whatever I have on hand to add flavor, lock the lid closed and simply push the "frozen meat" button. 20 minutes later I have a wonderfully flavored chicken breast that's so tender it can be pulled apart with a fork. I spend my time throwing together side dishes (usually from a box or a mix) while that's cooking. The nutrients are locked in through this process, the pressure cooker plugs in and is independent (meaning it doesn't have to be on my stove top) and it's virtually dummy-proof and has multiple safety features to prevent a blowout. Easy and quick to clean too. Whoever came up with all these features was BRILLIANT and had me in mind. Take a moment to pop over to QVC and check it out. Definetly worth the small investment for quick, nutritious meals without being forced to do everything crockpot style. Hope this helps!

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.K26345.desc.Cooks-Essentials-6qt-Digital-Pressure-Cooker-wHinged-Lid
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You can make anything in a crock pot. I make roast all the time in my crock pot. You can make meatloaf and breakfast casseroles in a crock pot. Desserts, breads, pasta casseroles, lasagna, pork chops, BBQ ribs, whatever. I almost never make anything resembling a stew in my crock pot. Don't write off the crock pot just because most people make soups and such in it. It's a very versatile kitchen tool. :)

Here's what I do for ribs:

Brown some country-style ribs quickly on the stove. Move them to the crock pot. Dump in some barbecue sauce, and make sure the sauce gets between all the meat pieces so the meat is all coated. If you like, you can mix the sauce with some beef broth, and add some spices if you want -- I usually just add some garlic and black pepper. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or on low for 6 to 8 hours. Nomtastic.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I posted two basic chicken and tuna recipes on my blog: http://peanut-butter-lover.blogspot.com/

They are really easy, low in calories and have very few ingredients.