Help!..please. (legs)

Options
I have big legs, strong but big. I have lost 96 lbs (from my heaviest point) and although I have muscle, I also have flab on my legs. How do I slim down my legs?

Typical week:

Cardio: 1 hour, 6 days a week. ( I run, bike, use the elliptical and do zumba)
Strength Training: 1 hour, 3-4 days a week.
Yoga: once a week for about an hour.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Replies

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately spot reduction is unlikely. Fat comes off where it wants to first through cardio.
  • MattAxtell
    MattAxtell Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Squats and Lunges.

Many reps with lower weights.

Keep working on the toning, it will come
  • StrongerMomto7
    StrongerMomto7 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    shweedog.... that's what I was afraid of. :(
  • StrongerMomto7
    Options
    MattAxtell, thanks. Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. Perhaps I should do lighter weights.
  • raetzpl
    raetzpl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Pilates does amazing things for legs and booties! I try to do it at least a couple times a week!
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Running, Squats, Lunges...I have big legs too...Not easy to thin them out. They run in my family and the one thing my aunts have always done that works is biking. I also have a book somewhere that my mom used to use called "Thin Thighs in 30 Days" It worked for my mom. I've only just begun working on my thighs...been doing squats and lunges, and JUST started run/walk/jogging. I'm noticing a difference. I try to do squats all day long like when I think about it I mean...usually only like 10 at a time. At the most I've done 70 squats in one day.

I suggest squats for sure...I'm trying to build myself up to do more.

GOOD LUCK!
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    I feel a debate coming on...

You're going to get several different responses about this and about heavy/low reps vs. light/high reps. Here are my two cents....based on your ticker, you've lost 56 lbs and I assume quite a few inches. You're clearly doing something right but there's nothing wrong with trying out a few different methods along the way and changing things up. I have no doubt the inches will come in the legs if you keep at it, whatever you decide.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Squats and Lunges.

I disagree with this. True body composition changes come from a progressive weight lifting program. This means heavy weights, fewer reps. Work smarter, not longer.
  • StrongerMomto7
    Options
    bizco wrote: »
    Squats and Lunges.

I disagree with this. True body composition changes come from a progressive weight lifting program. This means heavy weights, fewer reps. Work smarter, not longer.

Thank you!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    so much misinformation in this thread.

There is only 1 way to eliminate the flab on your legs, and that is to lose the fat. Even if you built muscle, if the fat stays there they will still be flabby and you will not see muscle definition.

There are 2 ways to lose fat. Eat at a deficit such that you lose weight. Or, eat at maintenance and do sufficient resistance training to recomp your body (gain muscle, lose fat at the same rate).

So, the fastest way to get there is do a progressive weight lifting program (to maintain muscle) and eat at a deficit until you have a sufficiently low BF%.

Do the running and other stuff if you want, but they don't directly contribute to your goal. They allow you to eat more calories, but won't cause spot reduction and aren't needed on top of the weight lifting for retaining muscle.