How to deal with the haters!?

Options

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: funny that your mother in law said it, not your sisters in law. Perhaps she was saying it and they (rather than arguing with such a pleasant woman) just agreed to keep the peace. If they haven't said it or if you haven't heard it from any other source, I would ignore.
    :flowerforyou:
    Keep up the great work! Living well is the best revenge.
  • Anita1271
    Anita1271 Posts: 56
    Options
    My mom and brother tell me this too!! And it does hurt! I tried to explain to them why I'm still working at losing more weight, that my waist size is still unhealthy. I told my husband and he said they are jealous, my brother is trying to lose weight (I even set up an acct on here for him) my mom, is trying to gain weight but neither want to do anything about either issue. It's very hurtful though! :( But just realize they are jealous!!! Your doing great!! :flowerforyou:
  • ypena78
    ypena78 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    In laws are the worst. They want to try to make you feel like sh**. still cause they are just jealous. My sis in law was the same way when I first started. She use to tell me "why are you losing weight for?" oh cause my brother likes skinny girls. but I told her hey your brother loves me just the way I am, i am finally doing something for myself now, I am done with taking care of everyone else & done with what everyone else thinks too. as long as I feel good about myself & look good, I am content with that. My hubby has been by my side every step of the way & supportive too as well as my teen girls.... so yeah the only advice I can honestly give you is keep going, & flaunt it girl, especially in front of them. chica!!!1 :)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Your feelings are understandable. They were hurtful with their comments.

Remind yourself that they have a distorted view of what's healthy (due their own weight issues), and are probably jealous and don't know how to deal with watching you get healthy while they stay the same.

Remind yourself of how much you've achieved so far. Trust your body. You'd know if you were "sick" or "too skinny".
  • jenlayport
    jenlayport Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm having shirts made that say: I'm not too skinny - you're just fat
    I'm going to be making a TON of friends at the gym. LOL
    But it's for the people who feel the need to comment on my weight, when I would never dream of telling them that they need to lose a few pounds.
    LOL
    Passive agressive is the way I go.
    LOL

(and I'm not joking - I should have the shirts later this week.....)

OMG that is GREAT!!!! LMAO! You are very brave to wear that around...Kudos to you! =)
  • mattbryan
    mattbryan Posts: 147
    Options
    Food for thought....for every hater that you encounter, you will find 10 of us here to cheer you on and offer ongoing support! Brush it off, stand up and keep fighting the good fight! You're doing great!!! :)
  • wooldl
    wooldl Posts: 2
    Options
    I've had relatives say I'm losing too much as well, but they're changing their tune when I explain how I going about things the right way and that my Blood Pressure in normal for the first time in years. Stick to your guns!

Yep, this.

I workout and watch my weight so that my heart can keep up with me. You have your reasons. They need to be supportive, but sadly you can't rely on that. Blow it off or tell your husband to kick their *kitten*. Ha!
  • jenlayport
    jenlayport Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    thank you ALL for the support and advice! I really needed this =)
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I would laugh it off and say something like, "oh yeah, I know what you mean, I'm going for the anorexic look!"

The best thing you can do to deal with in-laws is just smile and nod. If it continues, get hubby to talk to his sisters, and tell them to stop talking about it, it's none of their business.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    People try to bring you down to their level to make themselves feel better. You keep going!
  • electricnarwhal
    Options
    Just brush them off and keep doing what you're doing, girl! You've worked hard to get where you are, don't let a few comments bring you down. Sticks and stones! :flowerforyou: We're all here for you.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    But it's for the people who feel the need to comment on my weight, when I would never dream of telling them that they need to lose a few pounds.
    LOL
    LOL

OMG that is GREAT!!!! LMAO! You are very brave to wear that around...Kudos to you! =)

The next one I have made is going to say:

If you don't know why you're fat - look in your cart

and wear it to the grocery store...
    LOL
    I'm a little on the sassy side.....
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have gotten the "too skinny" thing from friends... They really aren't use to seeing me this light... I flex once or twice and then they say "ohhh I had no idea", and they back off. I guess it's different being a guy, but it shouldn't be... I don't try to explain anything to anyone unless they ask though.

BTW - I'll take one of those shirts when they get printed... I would proudly wear that. lol
  • kellyged
    kellyged Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    SABOTAGE!! They wouldn't be saying this to you if they were around a BMI of 22 now would they?? You go girl, you look fab and getting healthy will attract sabateurs along the way...it just makes them look at their lives and think...****!
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'd totally just chalk it up to jealousy (ESPECIALLY if they're saying it behind your back) and ignore them. As long as you feel good that's all that matters.

Oh, and wear something really stunning and figure-flattering next time you see them :-)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    LOL
    LOL

The next one I have made is going to say:

If you don't know why you're fat - look in your cart

and wear it to the grocery store...
    LOL
    I'm a little on the sassy side.....

thlmao-1.gif
  • ImaLadyBiker
    Options

ROFLMAO!!!!

I, too, have people at work that say, "Don't you think it's time you quit losing weight?" My BMI is in the overweight category and there is still plenty of visible flab.

I have determined misery loves company. If I'm healthy, eating well and staying active AND my doctor is happy, that should be enough. Her insults disguised as concern aren't welcome or warranted.

(Thinking about the t-shirt... LOL)
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    I had that too hun,i know exactly how you feel!!And it was my mother in law and my husbands x wife !! the mother in law said it to my face but the x wife i overheard and she was makeing jokes with her mate saying how i look like achmed ect and how her new husband would rather have summat to hold on to ect!!The mother in law also told me how her son prefers women with summat to hold onto and she couldnt understand that he was still supporting me in my weight loss!!
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    Food for thought....for every hater that you encounter, you will find 10 of us here to cheer you on and offer ongoing support! Brush it off, stand up and keep fighting the good fight! You're doing great!!! :)
    SPOT ON!!
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    LOL
    LOL

Bloody excellent!!