Weight Watchers points

Options
Jdismybug1
Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
I've always been curious about them, and I really can't afford to join right now, I was wondering if anyone could give me a general run down about the points system and how it works?

Replies

• mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It makes no sense because fruit is 0 points, and I believe a serving of chicken is 3-4 points.

Forget Weight Watchers and just count calories yourself. It's free and more accurate.
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The current "Point Plus" system is very hard to understand without having their points calculator. In the old points system a point was roughly 50 calories and that would go up if there was a lot of fat and down if there was a lot of fiber.
  • jhutch2011
    jhutch2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am currently using this website and WW at the same time. I am finding that I am going WAY over my calories while staying in my points values! Wondering how much quicker I could lose by just counting calories. I am a WW fan but it isn't cheap and I am considering switching for good. The points values are difficult to figure out without paying and having the books and website to use.
  • eagles0080
    eagles0080 Posts: 15
    Options
    It makes no sense because fruit is 0 points, and I believe a serving of chicken is 3-4 points.

Forget Weight Watchers and just count calories yourself. It's free and more accurate.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! I did WW years ago...and guess what? I wound up eating almost 500-700 calories a day MORE than if I'd just counted the calories myself. Fruit AND vegetables are supposedly "free" now??...see how much weight you lose while eating 8 bananas a day...
  • Jessabelle12
    Jessabelle12 Posts: 145
    Options
    Yeah I was with Weight Watchers but it cost too much, its complicated to work it out if you dont hav the system and yeah there are so many things which count as 0 points which actually still have calories etc in so you think you're getting none but you're still consuming stuff. Using this counts your calories easily for you and takes into account everything.
  • Jessica5000
    Options
    I'm on the Momuniem Plan. I'm sure I spelled that wrong. Anyways the plan before Points Plus. I don't like Points Plus. So I 'quit' weight watchers, ie the meetings. As I have all the information and do it on my own. So it doesn't cost a penny.

Here's a link to the online calculator
    http://www.webmilhouse.com/pointcalc.php

If you give me your weight, if you are nursing or not, whether you sit most of your day. I can tell you your daily points and you can get started. In the 180s, you get 24 pts. And every 10 goes down from there. 19 is the least amount you can have. For example when I'm in the 170s, I will get 23 pts.

Or join WW for one month, get all the Points Plus info and quit and do it on your own.

Hope I helped and good luck! It works!
  • Jdismybug1
    Options
    This is why I was asking about it. I don't like going over suggested calories, and honestly I think it would have confused me, I just seem to see it everywhere, so I was curious about it. Thanks :wink:
  • Dahlface13
    Dahlface13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    For the points system you are given a daily points "allowance" based on several factors (basically the same factors used to determine your daily calorie goal on here) and everything you eat and drink is assigned a points value based on it's fat, fiber, sugar, and protein content (I think). As you eat you deduct the points value from your goal for the day. You also have goals to eat a certain amount of lean protein, dairy, fruits and veggies, water, whole grains, etc. You can earn extra points by working out which you have the option to eat that day if you would like or not. You are also given a weekly bank of extra points to be used, or not, however you want. Those are the basics.

I have done weight watchers multiple times and it works. In fact I saw an article today that said that it was the best official diet for short and long term weight loss. However, I am finding so far that MFP is pretty close to WW. You have a daily goal based on various factors, you deduct the value of what you eat and drink from your daily goal, and you track your progress. Some people feel more motivated to stay with a program if they are paying for it, but trust me when I tell you that MFP is going to do many of the same things for you that WW does but without the cost.

Good luck!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

I thought fruit was 0 points unless you had more than 1 serving (?) I was on WW when my daughter was an infant (she's 9 now) and I lost about 75 lbs. I gained about 15 lbs since 2009 - it did help me with portion control, eating out, importance of water intake, etc....

I do like MFP better - 1. Because it's FREE! LOL And 2. I don't have to go to meetings and all that jazz.
  • VeroM1234
    VeroM1234 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I did WW for a while...

The new point plus programs counts the Fiber, fat, protein and carbs... No calories.

You can find an Iphone app called : food calculator, same thing as the WW calculator..

I was allowed 29 points daily and 45 extra points per week...

Honestly, I love Myfitnesspal a lot more...

And WW wasnt cheap... lol
  • Jessica5000
    Options
    lol 8 bananas lol. Exactly why I'm on the previous system and not Points Plus.
  • alphasigalum
    Options
    I am doing both MFP and WW. I do like the new program but I do not take the free fruit to excess. I only have my 5 servings of fruits/veggies per day. Depending on the fruit, I am typically over 100-200 calories on MFP a day but I make up for it with exercise. I am typically under my daily points value on WW each day as well. I think if you eat fruit excessively, yes you will gain weight but remember, fruit isn't what made you fat to begin with. I have lost over 45 pounds on WW and am still losing on the points plus program.
  • Jdismybug1
    Options
    So far I really like MFP it's keeping me on track.
    Today for lunch here at work I had a Healthy Choice steamer meal. I had to go to the store anyway, and I was reading the back and it said it was 5 points for weight watchers...lol.
    I really dont like the frozen foods much, but I don't have a lot of choices around work, theres a lot of fast food and too much temptation. So I either bring lunch, something like a healthy choice meal, or go to quiznos where the calories are posted and I can make a better choice.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I started doing mfp.com! All my co-workers are doing WW but I cannot afford to pay someone $144 to weigh me. I know that they are getting more than that (LOL) but seriously? And I know that you can do it online for a lot less, but I can track my food intake (calories, fat, carbs, etc) and log my exercise on mfp.com for FREE.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers works alright for some people. I lost a lot of weight on it (mostly the Flex/Momentum plan though). When I made the switch to calorie counting, I thought it was going to be a lot more tedious, but it really isn't. Weight Watchers is actually a lot more tedious with plugging in the numbers into some phone app in order to see how many P+ it is. And really, the new system annoys me with it's equations. The only reason I stuck around was for the support system I had in the meetings, but once I stopped feeling like I needed that every week, it was an easy decision.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    So far I really like MFP it's keeping me on track.
    Today for lunch here at work I had a Healthy Choice steamer meal. I had to go to the store anyway, and I was reading the back and it said it was 5 points for weight watchers...lol.
    I really dont like the frozen foods much, but I don't have a lot of choices around work, theres a lot of fast food and too much temptation. So I either bring lunch, something like a healthy choice meal, or go to quiznos where the calories are posted and I can make a better choice.

A lot of the other brands haven't updated for the Points Plus system which I kind of find funny (and sh*tty for people who are just starting that plan).
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I tried WW pointsplus online for a month and really really didn't like it. I found it really hard to stay within the "points" for the day.. I would much rather count the calories then use the points.
  • Jdismybug1
    Options
    thanks
  • LexaMustGetFit
    LexaMustGetFit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i have a quick question i've been trying to do WW without actually signing up and i'm so confused on my points. I am nursing at least 5-6 times a day and about 2 -3 times a night could you help me figure out my points?
  • olytri2012
    Options
    Personally, I just need to stand on the scale in front of someone to be accountable. I tried with friends but they lost interest. So if $10 a month will do it then its worth it. I don't follow the points.