The Science behind Music

Options
Your choice in music can be holding you back....
While it's no surprise that fast-paced music is a good and popular exercise companion, a study published last year discovered a direct correlation between fast-paced music and athletic performance. Volunteers in the study were given popular music to listen to while riding a stationary bicycle. For the first ride, the music was played as-is. In subsequent rides, some volunteers received music slowed down by 10% and others received music sped up by 10%. The riders were not informed of the change, yet their performance changed nonetheless:

When the tempo slowed, so did their pedaling and their entire affect. Their heart rates fell. Their mileage dropped. They reported that they didn't like the music much. On the other hand, when the tempo of the songs was upped 10 percent, the men covered more miles in the same period of time, produced more power with each pedal stroke and increased their pedal cadences. Their heart rates rose. They reported enjoying the music - the same music - about 36 percent more than when it was slowed. But, paradoxically, they did not find the workout easier. Their sense of how hard they were working rose 2.4 percent. The up-tempo music didn't mask the discomfort of the exercise. But it seemed to motivate them to push themselves. As the researchers wrote, when "the music was played faster, the participants chose to accept, and even prefer, a greater degree of effort."

http://lifehacker.com/5622382/creating-the-ultimate-exercise-playlist

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    yeah, thts why i dont watch tv while working out on the elliptical, it slows me down soooooooo much. i like to listen to anything fast pace while working out.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    yeah, thts why i dont watch tv while working out on the elliptical, it slows me down soooooooo much. i like to listen to anything fast pace while working out.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    That's why I cannot workout without music, especially cardio.
  • hill2302
    hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I wonder if Eminem's Recovery album is slowing me down or getting me going? That's all I listen to when running.

Maybe I need to find a faster playlist to listen to and see how it works.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Makes sense! I actually can't workout with music just because it does influence me WAY too much. I've always thought it was because I'm really into playing music, but I simply cannot jog/bike/whatever at a different pace than the music. I also breathe in time to the music, which isn't necessarily good!

Audiobooks are the way to go!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Audio books would cause me to sit down and just listen... LOL
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I can definitely agree with this. I think about Turbo Fire and how I really put my all into it because of the music she has. I remember reading an Insanity thread a while back where people didn't play the music and instead put on their own and that helped with their workouts.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I totally buy this - when I walk or do my elliptical my pace ends up matching the song. Thanks 8 years of marching band for making me a freak!

You're not a freak because you were in marching band...you were in marching band because your a freak. I can say that cause Im a freak too.
  • hill2302
    hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I totally buy this - when I walk or do my elliptical my pace ends up matching the song. Thanks 8 years of marching band for making me a freak!

You're not a freak because you were in marching band...you were in marching band because your a freak. I can say that cause Im a freak too.

Freaks unite!! I didn't march in college though. Don't hold it against me. I still roll my feet like I was taught in marching band. Tough on my shoes.