Sweets: occasional treat, or total ban?

Options
13»

Replies

• ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, only i'm less of a sweets girl and more of a burger king (or any fast food ) girl :) I know that cutting these kinds of things out is important but does that mean I'll never know my love the whopper ever again? The best advice I ever got was don't completely ban your favorite foods or else you will be more likely to snap one day and binge :) BUT moderation is important so I'd say buy your treats in smaller amounts and only once in a while. That way if you do eat it all only a pint or so is a lot less detrimental than a whole tub of it :)
    Good luck!!
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Packets of biscuits especially cookies are my enemy. Its so easy to sit and munch without thinking, so I try not to buy them very often. But I am finding the logging of food on mfp is really helping me, there isn't any way of overlooking how much food I've consumed when it's all written down.
    Still I can't totally ban everything, or my mind just wants to rebel and eat the 'forbidden' foods even more!
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    I like mini-meringues as a sweet treat... the trick is limiting to just 1 or 2, rather than the entire tub, so I tend to put them somewhere I actually have to get up and reach to get at - the extra effort is additional consideration. My other treat is marzipan - I have a cooking block that I'll cut 25g from for a very sweet treat occasionally.

On the whole though, I try and avoid bringing sweets into the house. I know I will comfort eat if it's been a rough day, so easier not to have the temptation.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    EVERYDAY! My DH and I discovered skinny cow at the beginning of this process and eat one every night. They also just came out with skinny cow candy too. I am not giving up my sweets; I just traded them in for something lower in calories.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have something sweet more often than not, but some days a Power Crunch bar does me good (they are like coated sugar wafers, for goodness' sake!). For me, having something regularly helps me not obsess over it when it is right there in front of me. On the other hand, planning it in gives me some control. I was really slipping by the end of vacation, taking full sized servings instead of half servings and the like.
  • LButterfly201
    Options
    I LOVE sweet things. Chocolate, biscuits, ice cream = YUM :) If I'm going shopping, i try very very hard to avoid it altogether. But i also think, if you deprive yourself, you're more likely to just give up on the diet altogether. SO why not go for slightly healthier versions. So instead of the ice cream you bought, go for skinny cow, or something you can't go back for, lIke an ice cream cone. If you have to open another one, i find myself less likely to dip back into that specific treat.

Try frozen grapes. You can go back to those as many times as you like :D

Biscuits, cakes, chocolate they all do 'less calorie' versions. OK no they aren't brilliant for you, but if we are being realistic, who wants to have no treats whatsoever :) & they are better for you than the full on calorie ones.

Have Fun :)
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Medical professionals and diet experts all agree that people who are the most successful on a diet plan and life style change are individuals that adhere to their weight loss program 100% of the time......

sorry, but for me, the only reason why I was sucessful was that I didn't allow it in the house

yes it sucks...............I agree, but for me, I had to make the choice I did , and that was not to have it in the house.....

whats more important to you., Weight loss, or a continued life of obesity and unhappiness....

its hard, it sucks and you think you can not do it, but if you dont have it in the house, you wont fail.............Good luck, Lloyd
  • murphysraven
    Options
    I allow myself 1 treat a week. Its my incentive/reward for staying on track with my diet. I make sure its something really worth it too, not just the first sweet thing in sight. :) Usually I pick saturday as my default "treat day" unless I know that a birthday or event is coming up what I'll want to have a sweet at. Moderation is the key.
  • jezirus
    jezirus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. For me, I've tried tons of diets before, and I have always ended up going off them and going right back to being addicted to sweets. This time I broke the addiction. I went cold turkey -- NO added sugars. I no longer crave sweets. I'm not sure if I will have them again, we'll see. But for now, I'm enjoying the journey to getting healthy and reaching my goals! I LIKE not craving sweets. It feels empowering! Good luck!
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have taught myself that there are "sometimes" foods (and that can be anything from sweets to lasagna). Moderation is key - I keep sugar free popsicles in the freezer at all times (and in this heat they really take off the edge). They are 15 calories - so have 2, why not? The other thing I think I read - if you are going to over-indulge and you know it - add some time to the cardio workout. Make the calories a total wash and you haven't lost/gained anything.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm not into sweets much. My problem is FRENCH FRIES!! When I'm presented with really good fries (which is hard to come by -- usually they're kinda gross), it's hard to stop. Oh, and my one exception to not liking sweets: cheesecakes.

I plan out my indulgence. 300 calories is too little! 500+ will feel more like a real treat. If I'm going to splurge on calories, I plan 2-3 days ahead of time. I reduce my fat intake as well as daily calorie net for a couple of days (not TOO much, just 100-300 calories), either by doing more exercise or eating less, or both. The day after splurge, I do the reduced fat intake/ calorie net again. And I'm good to go.

Occasionally, maybe once in every 5 weeks or so, I end up eating more without exercising more. If this happens, I just move on and try to get more exercise done the next day. Unless I have miraculously consumed, like, 3000+ calories above my BMR, I know I haven't done any real damage.

"I screwed up! I can't do this anymore!" is infinitely more dangerous than the occasional splurges... Just keep at it, and don't let any mistakes push you off track!!!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I work for a dessert company. We're all on sugar overload here. I don't totally ban the sweet stuff, but I avoid it when I can. When I feel like I just have to have something, I have little bites of a couple of my favorite things. I don't keep very much sweet stuff at home because I tend to want to snack like no other when it's there.