ugh... loose skin!

Options
OK, I know I should be celebrating (and I am) but now I'm staring at a consequence of losing weight that I hadn't considered.

My friends (and I) never thought of me as obese although, technically, at 5'10" and 225 lbs I was. I've taken 50 lbs off that by changing my diet, doing cardio and now some strength exercises. I still have a way to go but I certainly look and feel better and I'm beginning to feel some muscle development.

It's all good... almost.

But while doing my planks today without a shirt on, I noticed in the mirror that I now have loose folds of skin around my waist and on my chest. Looks absolutely disgusting.

Will this ever go away? Or do I just have to live with it?

Replies

• GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    will prob go away w time
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    It will tighten up SOMEWHAT over time, but the skin won't always go back to where it should be. it depends on a lot of factors, but when you lose a significant amount of weight (and 50 lbs definitely is!), it's a risk that might happen. I've lost 65 lbs myself, and I haven't encountered too many loose skin problems. I've also been holding around 150 lbs for 6 months now and over that time my skin has improved noticeably, especially in my stomach area. It's still not completely perfect and I have some more fat to lose, but it's better. My underarms and inner thighs have a bit of loose skin as well, but it's not horrible.

So, give it some time, make sure to drink water, and try using BioOil on the problem areas. Its supposed to help, I used it on my stomach for a while.
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have that too....I have no idea if it will go away all I can do is hope....and if that still doesn't work there's this thing called a tummy tuck that I would get in a heartbeat. lol
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think over time it gets better, but may not go away completely!!!
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    OMG I just had the same experience last night...I was doing a plank and look down toward my toes and saw this round belly just hanging there, like I was pregnant again! I know the loose skin will never go back, its way too stretched out. Other than with surgery, I don't think my extra skin will ever tighten up sufficiently. Gravity can be a horrible thing!
  • GretMae
    GretMae Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to notice that myself, mostly in the form of upper arm flaps :/. A friend was telling me exercises I can do with weights to firm things up in that area, which I hope helps. So for you, maybe situps? Face I don't know, hmm. lots of laughing!:wink:
  • jessp687
    jessp687 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you excercise the muscle above and around your stomach area it should lift the tummy up a bit and reduce the loose skin
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty lucky so far with the loose skin problem but my bum's a bit saggy!

I actually was watching a programme last night about weight loss and saggy skin. They said that where it's not extensive the skin will tighten up over time and that regular sweat-inducing exercise helps - as does increasing water consumption. Good luck and keep us posted!
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have kept my weight off for a year and half now and I still have the loose skin. It has gotten better with time, but it's still there. The more I exercise, the better it is but it has never gotten anywhere near what I would like it to be (if that even makes sense). My sister says she was able to get rid of most of hers but she does three hours of hard core exercise every day. I'm not that ambitious! :tongue:
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have heard that loose skin does not go away. I have that frome having had my first child....and it's one of the things I can't stand looking at. And won't be able to even after I lose this weight.

I too would be all over a tummy tuck in the future. In fact, it may be my weight loss present to myself one day! Only problem is I am very chicken about getting it done, lol.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Once I am at my goal weight, I want to give myself some time to let the skin contract as much as possible. If I still have bingo wings after that, I might consider surgery.