new to fitness pal =) help??

Options
Hi all,

I'm starting fitness pal but always seem to start things and go back to eating rubbish! I am in need of motivation.

If anyone can help with meal suggestions and such that would be a great help. I seem to be unable to come up with anything other than salad for lunch and i would like a variety.

Many Thanks

Mel_21 x

Replies

• misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i've learned most of my healthy eating from reading through different MFP friends' food diaries. add friends (feel free to add me) and check up on their meals.
  • CrazyAdventure
    CrazyAdventure Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I know starting out, finding foods is always the hardest thing to do!! And salads get real old real quick haha! But I've grown to love chicken in every way. It's a great source of protein and you can cook it however you like. (Well, maybe not ANY way... :) Brown rice and beans are also excellent and delicious sides. And coupling it with lots of veggies and some fruit is always a fantastic combination. Hope that helps!!
  • roseymacdoo
    roseymacdoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hey Mel

Feel free to add me and nosey at my diary! I find others' diaries a great inspiration, especially for lunchtime ideas at work

Rosey x
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, my diary is open. Keep in mind that my lunch is exactly the same every day, but dinners are varied.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Whatever you cook for dinner, make double. My DH and I eat yummy lunches this way.

And especially when you are starting out, make sure you have enough snacks planned during the day. Always have some nuts or a banana or something with you so when you need an afternoon snack, you aren't grabbing disparately for something bad. Be prepared is the best advice I can give!
  • carina_75
    carina_75 Posts: 88
    Options
    i've learned most of my healthy eating from reading through different MFP friends' food diaries. add friends (feel free to add me) and check up on their meals.

this is me too!! also the inspiration from the people on here will blow your mind!! log in say hi and get friends and the motivation, laughs and good will that comes through will help..its keeping me on track!! friend request sent hun!! :flowerforyou:
  • oravavaara
    oravavaara Posts: 29
    Options
    Here's a link I found today for some great 200 calorie snack/meal replacement ideas
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/HQ01396/NSECTIONGROUP=2

I never get bored with salad- every day I put something different on it! A few pieces of bacon (less than 1/2 a piece), some olives, feta, cranberries, vinaigrette, sunflower seeds, berries, basil, oregano, a sprinkle of parmesan or feta... The possibilities are endless!

The key is to base meals around vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. Crepes with berries. Brown rice and beans (and taco seasoning or salsa). Pasta salad, potato salad (made with low-fat dressing or a vinaigrette). Chicken salad with walnuts and grapes (once again, keep the dressing light). Tabouli and quinoa salad (with cranberries, nuts, and herbs) are two options for mixing up your grains, and both can be eaten cold. Cous-cous is another good grain to experiment with.

Broth-based soups are another way to really cut down on calories. Also, if you snack on veggies throughout the day, you'll be less hungry at meal time and can afford to eat more energy-dense foods.

Don't forget to include low-fat dairy in your diet! Cottage cheese and low-fat yogurt make a good base. You can make a dip for veggies with low-fat yogurt by adding cucumber, pepper, onion, garlic, herbs, and/or spices. Cottage cheese is great plain, spiced, with fruit, or as a topping for baked potatoes.

Try food from different regions- Mediterranean, Asian, and African. Keep things interesting by using spices and herbs. Subscribe to a magazine like "Light and Tasty."

These are my new tricks... I haven't gotten bored yet!
  • mel_21
    mel_21 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I can't thank you all enough for your help so quickly! I'll add you all and i'm sure with your help i can do it =)

it seems like a great site to be on!

Thanks again!! xx
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm new too, just started today but was totally unprepared as far as groceries go. I actually did a random Market search with my Android and discovered myfitnesspal. With that said though, I just had a baby 6 months ago and had developed gestational diabetes. I stuck heavily with the proper diet throughout the pregnancy so I have a fairly good grasp on what I should be eating. I just got lazy. Time to go shopping! LOL. Maybe we could follow along with one another for support?!:wink:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I'm new too, just started today but was totally unprepared as far as groceries go. I actually did a random Market search with my Android and discovered myfitnesspal. With that said though, I just had a baby 6 months ago and had developed gestational diabetes. I stuck heavily with the proper diet throughout the pregnancy so I have a fairly good grasp on what I should be eating. I just got lazy. Time to go shopping! LOL. Maybe we could follow along with one another for support?!:wink:

I had gestational diabetes with all three of my pregnancies. I work hard to control my insulin levels via diet so I don't end up with full blown, like my mother and grandfather had. Feel free to add me! I eat pretty well.
  • CrazyAdventure
    CrazyAdventure Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Wow those are some great tips and a great site!!