Going over calories -- 1200 daily

Options
My daily calorie goal is 1200 calories. I find myself going over each day by about 200 hundred calories. I typically workout and burn 300-400 calories. So I'm eating those back and still slightly going over. Is this going to be detrimental for me in the long run? I've always been a really big eater, so cutting back to this amount really is a big step for me. Just curious to see if anyone else has had this same issue.

Replies

• jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    What does MFP suggest will be your likely weight in 5 weeks if you eat like that every day? That might give you a handy tip if you can still lose weight eating over. Chances are that if you're eating 1400 cals daily you will still lose weight, just at a slower rate. A simple answer to this would be to up your exercise cals by roughly 200 per day and not to eat those back. You could also adjust your MFP goals to losing 1.5lbs a week instead of 2lbs a week, which should then up your calorie goal for you.

Also - how far into your diet are you? I have found that although it was immensely hard for me to stick to 1200 cals at the beginning I often find that I'm quite far under now towards the end of the day as eating anything heavy during the day makes me nap!
  • mamaredhead
    mamaredhead Posts: 112
    Options
    If you like to eat a lot at a time you might want to add something like steamed veggies in greater amounts to your daily plan. They hardly count anything and do fill you up! I discovered that as a good way to have "something" on my plate and at the same time not take in many calories. That way you could stay withing your 1200 cal range if that's what you want to do.

Edited to say that I know that this is not actually answering your question. It's just meant to be a suggestion of a possible way to stay within your range if going over makes you feel insecure. It worked for me at least ;-)
  • Teenytich
    Teenytich Posts: 3
    Options
    I find it very hard to get to 1200 calories a day and that is with excercise too, but what alot of people forget is that when you do work out, the weight you lose turnes in to muscle weight from excercise so don't be disappointed if you think you are not losing weight, when actually you are. When your body has turned what it needs in to muscle, then you will see the weight loss rising, but it will just take a little longer with the extra 200 calories your going over. I used to see this happen all the time when i used to run weight watcher class and i used to recommend that people snack on things that are lighter in calories to help fill them and try to stick to normal portion sizes.
  • Keri_girl
    Keri_girl Posts: 44
    Options
    I agree with adding the veggies to your diet (if you aren'y already.) But I also recommend you take a close look at what you are eating. Are there low calories options that you can replace some of these foods with? I know for me I switched from Whole Wheat breads to Oatmeal bread. The bread that I eat is only 70 calories for 2 slices and I'm saving a ton on calories intake. I also saw that you are big on soda, that's going to consume a lot of your daily calories. I know it's hard but try to start replacing the soda with water or even things like green tea. If your diary was public I'd be able to give you more suggestions as well.