How do you use Spaghetti squash ??

Options
dcw10
dcw10 Posts: 29 Member
I just started making stuf f and by stuff I really mean spaghetti ;o) with it and would love to have some new ideas .
thanks in advance !!

Replies

• crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That's actually for dinner tonight at my house! My boyfriend LOVES it!

I microwave it for about 5-7 minutes make it easier to cut in half. Then I put it in the oven at abou 350 degrees for about an hour. (It needs to be very tender. Once it's cool enough to handle I scoop out the spaghetti. We usually just eat it plain with a little butter, garlic & parmesan. Mmmm!
  • fitmomma613
    fitmomma613 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like to sprinkle some Morton's Hot Salt on spaghetti squash! Great side dish with grilled pork chops.
  • Palache
    Palache Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yum, this sounds really good!

But do you have a special tool to cut it or do you just use a nife? Sorry for the silly questions. I'm a little clueless with this dish! :)

That's actually for dinner tonight at my house! My boyfriend LOVES it!

I microwave it for about 5-7 minutes make it easier to cut in half. Then I put it in the oven at abou 350 degrees for about an hour. (It needs to be very tender. Once it's cool enough to handle I scoop out the spaghetti. We usually just eat it plain with a little butter, garlic & parmesan. Mmmm!
  • corgifan
    corgifan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I just tried spaghetti squash last week and picked up two more this week it's THAT good!

I tried poking it with a knife and microwaving the whole squash 10 min the first time around. I let it sit for 5 and then cut it in half. This obviously made it easy to cut, but a bit harder to separate out the seeds.

I also tried just sucking it up and cutting it in half the first time around. As much as it stinks, I prefer this. Just go slow and make sure you're using a sharp, sturdy knife. I preferred being able to scoop out the seeds before the squash softened. Once I did that I cooked it for 8 min (obviously varies by size and microwave) covered in a dish with 1/4 cup water. Let stand and scoop out.

As for toppings, the first time I used some dried herbs, olive oil, and parmesan. Tonight I used some spaghetti sauce doctored with a LOT of garlic and topped with a turkey sausage - I had a huge plate of food for 350 calories!
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I agree with corgifan.

I had it for dinner a few days ago. I cut it in half (take your time but it's totally doable), scooped out the seeds, put it on a glass plate, covered it in plastic wrap and microwaved it for 8 minutes. It turned out perfectly.

I added spinach, brocolli, a bunch of seasonings (garlic & onion powder, basil, etc) and some Ragu pasta sauce. I ate a ton of food for very few calories.