High heart rate when running

Options
2»

Replies

• jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    220 - age is not exact. It is not based on solid science. http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/heart_rate_monitor.html

Isn't it 220- age x .80? thats what I was taught...is that accurate?? (I haven't looked at your link yet)
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    220 - age is not exact. It is not based on solid science. http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/heart_rate_monitor.html

This is true but for most people that cant afford a cardio fit test this is a decent reference point otherwise I tell people to get a Cardio Fit test and find out their VO2MAX rating.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    your heart rate range depends on whether you're targeting a cardio workout or a fat burning workout...if it's high, then you're doing more cardio than you are fat burning...your range will be different depending your age and on how often you do cardio in general. the more frequent you do it, your heart rate should take longer to reach a max and when you stop, then your heart rate should get down to RHR quicker. but i'm sure that as long as you're still running and you're still comfortable, you're fine. :) that's my opinion anyway!
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    The HRMs on the equipment can be massively inaccurate. The elliptical at my gym said I was over 200, and I thought I was dying! But my HRM (with chest strap) puts me at 155 or so when the elliptical says 200+, so I know the elliptical is just wrong. (PS, my polar FT4 is awesome)

If your elliptical reads heart rate then you should not be wearing your watch at the same time. The sensors mess each other up. Most elliptical models are designed to read almost all heart rate monitor chest straps. When I'm at the gym I don't wear my watch. I only wear my chest strap.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    The sensors mess each other up.
    The sensors don't transmit, they simply passively receive whatever signal is within range and frequency. How can they mess each other up?