Bountiful Baskets

Options
SueInAz
SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
A friend of mine recently mentioned Bountiful Baskets (http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/) to me. It sounds like a great idea, even though the closest pick up location is a bit of a drive. I've signed up and paid my money for a shipment this Saturday morning. Has anyone else joined this co-op who has information or stories to share?

Replies

• SueInAz
    Options
    I'm bumping this since I never got an answer. Anyone?
  • mindysreadyforchange
    mindysreadyforchange Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have purchased Bountiful Baskets before and love them! In fact was thinking about getting one next week. They moved up my pick up time to 6:30am on a Sat that is EARLY LOL. Last summer I bought a case of tomatoes and a case of apples from them (on top of the basket) so I could can stuff (so fun). You get a variety of fruits and veggies and sometime I get things that I have never tried or seen before. You just get to the pick up site, sign a sheet and bring a box or laundry basket...then they have baskets with just veggies in them and baskets with just fruits in them. You pick one of each and dump them in your basket/box. Let me know how it goes and what you think.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well, I have no clue what that is, so I am interested in this as well.

Jenn
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I am very happy! For $15 I received two big bags of fruits and veggies, as well as 5 loaves of french sourdough bread (an extra $10) that is very tasty. I got: a seedless watermelon, a cantaloupe, 6 nectarines, 6 bananas, 4 pears, two heads of romaine, a big bunch of spinach, 6 yellow squash, 4 big tomatoes and 4 red onions. I'm going to have fun planning a few meals around all of this.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This sounds awesome, but none around here in FL.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    nice job! There isn't a place in Indiana either... :(
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I've done it. The first time I bought some fruit and veggies from them, I took it home and weighed it. For $15 we got over 30 lbs of fresh produce. I like it, but we only do it once a month or so.
  • mindysreadyforchange
    mindysreadyforchange Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am so glad that you liked it! I love it and am gonna get it in two weeks!
  • SueInAz
    Options
    So a few weeks in and I'm finding that it's actually too much produce for the three of us, even getting it only every other week. We're out of town too often, eat out a couple of nights each week, etc. I've ended up throwing some away, which breaks my heart. My mom is interested but she's worried she'll have the same problem because it's just her and my dad. We're discussing splitting the cost and the produce. Probably a good idea for smaller families.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    We have something similar worked out with our employer and a selection of local farmers. It's fantastic! Take advantage if you can :)

We got a trunk load of fresh delicious food for $20 (less than half would it would've cost us at the grocery store and fresher too).