*deep sigh*

Options
well, I'm in summer school taking a health class and every class period i wanna ball up and cry. I'm the only over-sized person in there and the rest of the class are athletes and the teacher is a work out fanatic! She stresses the need for me and particular to lose weight and get active and how the CDC thinks women's waistline should be about a 33. I'm too embarrassed to ever talk or actually tell her "hey i'm trying." Tomorrow she wants us to get on a scale that shows our bmi, I'm so freaked out and don't even wanna go to class.UGHHH, atop of that my weight is at a stand still and I just really feel as though I'm not doing this stuff right or something. Do i need to eat more? less? Walk more? faster? Jump rope longer? I don't understand. I'm just not in a happy place right now at all and don't feel motivated or excited anymore. Words of advice or encouragement?

Replies

• Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    WHAT!! Thats horrible! Can you talk to the instructor after class and tell them how uncomfortable they're making you feel? And maybe throw in a "I'm working on it, not that its any of your business..."
  • jcpeters13
    jcpeters13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    WHAT!! Thats horrible! Can you talk to the instructor after class and tell them how uncomfortable they're making you feel? And maybe throw in a "I'm working on it, not that its any of your business..."

I agree!
  • layasideEVERYweight
    Options
    Don't let her make you do the bmi thing in front of everyone, but you should do it on here for your own info. I had mine done when i was at my absolute FATTEST.....i was at my son's elementary school field day and they brought the parents into a health room to check bone density, give massages, do bmi and heart rate etc...I SWEAR, when I saw that it said I was MORBIDLY OBESE, I was like WHA?!!! ME?!! HUH?!! HOW did this HAPPEN?!! It was a major wake up call. So now I'm just obese ha ha but I'm headed for overweight and then >>>BOOM<<< color me HEALTHY!!!! So tell them to suck it inside your head and then BUCK UP and let it motivate you, Girl!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!! :)))))
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If she's saying these things directly to you in front of the class that's definitely not right. You should either talk to her before or after class and let her know that she's making you uncomfortable enough to want to skip or drop the class. If she persists, it's time to talk to your adviser or someone higher up in her department.
  • layasideEVERYweight
    Options
    OH, and remember...it's EASY to go be in a health class when you're healthy or need to lose a couple lbs....but it takes some MAJOR FREAKIN GUMPTION and a STRONG WILL TO CHANGE to walk in there obese. So remember WHO YOU ARE, GIRL! You can do this! You WILL do this!!!!!!!!! I believe in you!!!!! :)))
  • Eatsleepkitten
    Options
    I'd get there early and try to talk to the teacher before hand. Try to explain that you're working on losing weight - I don't think that singling you out is particularly helpful of her and it would make me feel awful. On the other hand, if she's that passionate about it then maybe she has some tips! No teacher wants to upset their students so much that they don't come to class - perhaps you can get her to back off a little.

If that doesn't work and she still makes you feel singled out then I would talk to her supervisor.

One thing I do know is that she can't make you get on that scale if you don't want to. You might decide it would be more embarrassing to be the only one not to - but it's your choice. You are in control. Just like you're taking control by being on this site and trying to lose weight.

As a shy person myself, I know this is all easier said than done. Good luck tomorrow!
  • PJC7
    PJC7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk to the instuctor. If you're more comfortable - could you email? I think it's really inappropriate if you are being centered out in class - that's unprofessional and a little mean!
  • oravavaara
    oravavaara Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm so sorry you have such a horrible situation! You could try emailing your teacher to let her know your situation- that way she would know without you having to say in front of the whole class. You should let her know how uncomfortable you feel and tell her that you're taking steps to become healthier, but the climate of her classroom is hurting your self-esteem.

Feeling bad about yourself doesn't burn any calories. Realize that no matter what happens with your physical health, you'll always be a worthwhile person. You deserve to be confident, feel good, and enjoy a healthy life. :)

This site is a great start! If you're feeling overwhelmed or confused, just focus on counting calories using the tools on this site. In addition to eating less calories than you burn, try to eat breakfast every day, even if it's just a small one. It's easier to eat less when you eat nutrient-dense foods that are high in fiber- like fruit, vegetables, and whole grains.

To answer your questions about what to do- it's up to you.! You can eat less, exercise more, or both. Eat foods you enjoy and practice activities you like. Remember, it's about changing your lifestyle. Reward yourself with a nice walk instead of something sweet; take the stairs; only eat half of what you're served at a restaurant and bag up the rest.

You're beautiful the way you are, and with a little discipline you will feel better both physically and emotionally :)
  • oravavaara
    oravavaara Posts: 29
    Options
    OH, and remember...it's EASY to go be in a health class when you're healthy or need to lose a couple lbs....but it takes some MAJOR FREAKIN GUMPTION and a STRONG WILL TO CHANGE to walk in there obese. So remember WHO YOU ARE, GIRL! You can do this! You WILL do this!!!!!!!!! I believe in you!!!!! :)))

Well said!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    OMG she sounds absolutley awful, no wonder you're feeling apprehensive, who wouldn't?! Speak to her in private and tell her how bad she's making you feel...she probably doesn't realise as she's too busy shouting on her soap box.
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If your teacher is making you feel uncomfortable in class, regardless of the reason, or is asking you to do something that makes you feel uncomfortable, that is not okay. Not okay.

You can talk to a dean, the chair of the department or the teacher. You have people you can talk to so that the classroom is about the subject matter being taught, not about you and for example, your waistline or your bmi.

Actually my blood is boiling, thinking that your teacher brought personal things into the classroom discussion. So not okay!
  • layasideEVERYweight
    Options
    OOOOH, and one MORE thing: You are BEAUTIFUL! I can see the happy light in your eyes in that pic and ya know what...don't let your pride get in the way. Sometimes if you swallow that pride, get PASSIONATE and MOTIVATED and INSPIRED and jump right up there and say "I wanna be FIRST because this is THE LAST time the world is gonna see my BMI this high, so jot down your notes for underneath my BEFORE PICTURE because this time next week I'm gonna be lighter...healthier..happier...AND THE NEXT WEEK..... AND THE NEXT WEEK...... AND THE NEXT.........."

You'd be surprised. The whole entire class might just rally behind you, start encouraging you and PUMP YOU UP!!!
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's crazy. I know what you mean when you said "I'm the only over-sized person in there and the rest of the class are
    athletes and the teacher is a work out fanatic!". I hate more than anything in the world being the only out of shape person in the room.

On another note: You are PAYING her to teach. Not to poke at your self esteem by addressing you in front of the class. GET MAD, you have the right to. No it's not healthy to be out of shape, but your working on fixing that.

Tell her before class that you see what she is doing and that she is being unprofessional. Tell her that obviously the weight your working on losing doesn't come off overnight. Tell her to back off...you shouldn't have to dread her class. Tell her she shouldn't do the BMI thing in front of the class; instead she should ask if anyone wants theirs read. Please don't beat yourself up because of the way she is acting.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Whos in the class? You are! You are my hero for the day!

I wrote a whole inspirational note to you just now and then accidentally lost it all. What I wanted to tell you was how there are very few people that are brave enough, strong enough, and persistant enough, to do what it takes to change. You are. Stick with MFP and get some friends here. They understand and you will have support and the tools to do this.

A room full of has beens is what you might find when you are done with the class and flash forward 15 years. But, here you are going to learn how to do this the right way. The permanent change to healthy habits that last. Those people are flashes in the pan, but you are going to do this.

There are people's blogs I have read where they were afraid to go to the gym and be that one really big person in the room huffing and puffing. Or the big one in the exercise class, or the big one that didn't fit in the booth to go eat out. My Mother-In-Law was afraid to come visit us because she might not fit in the airplane seat. Just by being in that class you have already been braver than anyone in that class. And that kind of fortitude is going to make you successful. Hold you head up high, because you deserve to feel good inside. You will because you can. The small people that would be the one to look at you sideways are truely that, small. There are others out there cheering you on.

One more thing. I was in a summer class car pooling with some really bratty girls with a rotten teacher. None of them ever amounted to anything, btw. People that have to put others down are not very big inside in the first place.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    d-d-d-d-double post.
  • catkarma1955
    Options
    Unprofessional is stating it lightly. Talk to her. I am having flashbacks of the mean girls in high school! Be gentle with yourself and keep moving forward. I know it can be really hard at times, but I also know that YOU CAN DO IT!

PS: Schwiggity-unhelpful and inappropriate comment, dude!
  • BeginningNoStop
    BeginningNoStop Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Awe thanks sooo much for the replies it made me feel A LOT better...i dont think she does it intentionally BUT it still comes off that way..especially when one of my classmates approached me before class today and asked me does she make me feel uncomfortable by a lot of the things she says or when she asks us certain questions pertaining to our weight and things of that nature. I lied to the girl and told her i brush it off but i wanted to tell her I want to cry everyday but I keep thinking maybe I'll just take some tips from the class and use them to do better but it seems as though we never get to the steps to improve it..we just talk about how the athletes keep their shape and what will happen when they don't. lol punch her in the penis or vagina huh?! lol she's nice she just....she's...idk lol a fitness freak!!
  • BeginningNoStop
    BeginningNoStop Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Whos in the class? You are! You are my hero for the day!

I wrote a whole inspirational note to you just now and then accidentally lost it all. What I wanted to tell you was how there are very few people that are brave enough, strong enough, and persistant enough, to do what it takes to change. You are. Stick with MFP and get some friends here. They understand and you will have support and the tools to do this.

A room full of has beens is what you might find when you are done with the class and flash forward 15 years. But, here you are going to learn how to do this the right way. The permanent change to healthy habits that last. Those people are flashes in the pan, but you are going to do this.

There are people's blogs I have read where they were afraid to go to the gym and be that one really big person in the room huffing and puffing. Or the big one in the exercise class, or the big one that didn't fit in the booth to go eat out. My Mother-In-Law was afraid to come visit us because she might not fit in the airplane seat. Just by being in that class you have already been braver than anyone in that class. And that kind of fortitude is going to make you successful. Hold you head up high, because you deserve to feel good inside. You will because you can. The small people that would be the one to look at you sideways are truely that, small. There are others out there cheering you on.

One more thing. I was in a summer class car pooling with some really bratty girls with a rotten teacher. None of them ever amounted to anything, btw. People that have to put others down are not very big inside in the first place.

AWEEE but your right!! like I took a swimming class, wore a swim suit everyday and didn't feel as "out of place" as I do in this class..
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Awe thanks sooo much for the replies it made me feel A LOT better...i dont think she does it intentionally BUT it still comes off that way..especially when one of my classmates approached me before class today and asked me does she make me feel uncomfortable by a lot of the things she says or when she asks us certain questions pertaining to our weight and things of that nature. I lied to the girl and told her i brush it off but i wanted to tell her I want to cry everyday but I keep thinking maybe I'll just take some tips from the class and use them to do better but it seems as though we never get to the steps to improve it..we just talk about how the athletes keep their shape and what will happen when they don't. lol punch her in the penis or vagina huh?! lol she's nice she just....she's...idk lol a fitness freak!!

See that? IT's not just you. This other person felt that way too.
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I can't believe your teacher would do that. When I was in high school our gym teacher made us take our body fat percentage and do fitness assessments in front of the entire class. If you didn't do it, you failed. It was so embarrassing and traumatizing. I also had a health teacher who showed the movie "Super Size Me" and after the movie she said to a morbidly obese girl, "I hope this isn't uncomfortable for you" and the girl looked at her like, "what?! did you really just single me out?" I felt really bad for her. That's so wrong of her. I would talk to her before class and be like, "Look, I'm not getting up there. I'm trying to lose weight but it shouldn't be the business of the entire class." I have no problem confronting people like that.