Yummy, healthy camping recipes?

Options
I'm going camping with a few of my friends and all of our kids Independence Day weekend and camping usually means lots of naughty foods. I'm looking for ideas for meals and snacks to keep us satisfied but not derail the diet.

Replies

• sahlah
    sahlah Posts: 52
    Options
    Will you only have campfire or will you have a kitchen?
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I have a few suggestions because I love camping and know how overboard I can go...

1. Chicken, chicken legs/wings on the grill (I like to throw them on the grill and baste them in hot sauce or bbq sauce)
    2. Watermelon, pineapple, grapes- have plenty of fruit on hand and make sure you prepare before you head out. I always find if it's not cut up before I get- it never gets eaten.
    3. Hard boiled eggs are easy to keep on hand.
    4. Dips- I have an easy recipe for a corn/bean salsa dip. It's a weight watchers recipe and is delicious and really, really easy to make. Let me know if you want the recipe.
    5. Potatoes aren't evil- just the toppings. Dice some up, sprinkle with olive oil, cover with your favorite seasonings- I like garlic salt, garlic powder, onion powed, basil, oregeno. I make an aluminum foil bag and grill them. Yum!

Best of luck to you- have fun camping!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You can do kaboobs. Just pack the skewers and veggies. Pre cut and marinade steak, chicken, shrimp in airtight container and each person can load up their skewers as they please. Onions, peppers, tomatos and even pinneapple all work great on skewers.

Eggs for breakfast are great too, lots of protein. Easy to make breakfast burritos with either small (6in) tortillas or try the low carb varieties. With some low fat cheese and a bit of turkey bacon or sauage, big yum! I like salsa too!

Have a great time!
  • Scootypuff
    Options
    * Lowfat string cheese is fun
    * Hebrew National 97% fatfree hotdogs - I think they're tastier than any other! With Schwebel's light buns. Most condiments are ok - so load up the pickles, onions, etc. They also have light hamburger buns. A jar of PICKLES !
    * Pack yourself 100 calorie snacks so you don't eat a whole bag of chips, or at least a family size bag of baked chips or whole grain Pringles.
    * Carrot sticks or fruit tossed in the cooler is good to munch while you're waiting on the grill
    * Goin fishin?
    * If making a fire breakfast - bring a carton of eggwhites & turkey bacon. Eggwhites are better than powdered crap & easier than transporting eggs.
  • dd122436
    dd122436 Posts: 39
    Options
    bump
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    nuts; trail mix; turkey jerky (low sugar ones); etc. Bring fruit. I brought a bag of carrots (cuz i love to snack on a big handful of carrots when i get the munchies).
    can bring premade meals in the cooler--like pasta salads and stuff to eat cold; can premake any number of things and heat over fire or next to it. Turkey burgers and turkey dogs. wheat buns. granola bars. for breakfasts have eggs and turkey bacon/sausage with fruit. Drink extra water to flush out excess sodium. Sandwichs with wheat bread, no processed cheese slice (i get blocks of cheese at home, and then for the trip i cut a bunch of thin slices off and brought with). Can also pack salad if u wanted..

I just went camping; my salad I put in a plastic storage container and then in a plastic bag so the water from the ice couldnt get in through both.

I brought a big bag of boneless/skinless chicken. bbq'ed a big batch of chciken the first night, had it for dinner with premade pasta salad and the carrots i brought, then following day had a chicken burger (wheat bun) with the leftovers for lunch w/ flavored mini rice cakes, and chicken salad for dinner.

If you drink, mgd 64 and budweiser 55 beer.

All types of options.
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Will you only have campfire or will you have a kitchen?

Just campfire, and a small one burner portable stove. :) We're tenting it.
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump!

And thanks everyone for what you've posted so far. Lots of good ideas.