Stand alone boxing bag

Options
GARider
GARider Posts: 22 Member
Last night I bought an Everlast brand of one of these boxing stands as the hubs wanted one. Now, I wasn't sure if I would like it or not, but holy cow, I really got into! I was punching the hell out of this thing. I really don't know a lot about boxing, but I did work up a pretty good sweat in the 30 minutes I was able to do it.

I watched a short video last night on YouTube of this lady showing some basic punches and even some kicks you could do. Since I obviously won't be going into the ring or anything, do you think I will eventually see some sort of toning if I do this along with the walking and hiking I do now? Oh, and I hope to be able to work up to 45 minutes to an hour.

Replies

• deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I used to take Muay Thai. Once in a while we would do circuits with the bag. Bas Rutten (fighter) has a 30 min program for bags that's fun. He calls out different punch combinations. It also does knees. They are 2 min rounds with either walking around for 30 seconds or pushups. Its a really good bag workout. I have a bag at home and found the program to put on my ipod.

I'm not sure where you can buy it. But if you play pirate you might find it like I did. :P

Here's a Youtube audio of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nucDBAIA5Y&feature=related

The number moves he calls are:
    1 - Jab
    2 - Jab -Cross
    3 - Jab-Cross-Hook
    4 - Jab-Cross-L Hook-R Hook

Some people kick after it 1-Kick...but that's like the "high intensity" version
  • CaptianMorgan
    Options
    I have been boxing for two months now and it is definitely an intense workout. I have noticed a difference in the time I have been doing it. I say keep up with it. Work in rounds. Three minutes punching 30 seconds resting. Make sure you are punching correctly so you don't injure your hands and wrists.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I bought an Everlast C3 100 lb. heavy bag, 180" wraps and Everlast gloves a few weeks ago and LOVE it. It's a great workout.

My typical workout (lately):

Stretch and warm up!
    jab - 50 each side
    jab/cross - 50 each side
    jab/cross/hook - 50 each side
    jab/cross/hook/hook - 50 each side
    jab/cross/uppercut/hook - 50 each side
    jab/cross/hook (mid section)/hook (mid section)/uppercut/cross - 30 each side
    Stretch and cool down!

It works out to 1,760 punches thrown in an hour, and today I burned like 1008 calories doing this workout. Maybe I should add some kicks in too. I started out trying to do the P90X Kempo X disk with the bag, but it just didn't work out that well. I can certainly tell a difference in my shoulders and arms.

If you start to really punch all out, I highly suggest getting wraps and learining how to wrap your hands. There are lots of youtube videos about how to do it and there are many different ways, so you wil have to experiment, but it will save your hands and allow you to workout longer and even harder.