How accurate is the bmr tool on here?

Options
I have just looked at the bmr tool on here and it's telling me that it is 1990 per day. So if I was to set it to lose 2lb a week I would need to drop my I take down to 990 per day which can't be right. I have 30lb to lose so am I at the point where I'm supposed to knock it down to 1lb a week??

My weight lose has been rubbish the last four weeks and this could be because I'm still eating 1660 calories a day. Any1 else having a similar problem?

Replies

• lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind BMR is essentially the calories you burn to keep your body functioning. This is the number of calories you would burn if you were in a coma basically. Surely your activity level is above coma so you should be burning more than just your BMR calories each day. That is why MFP has different activity levels to choose depending on your lifestyle.
  • Cartel
    Cartel Posts: 40
    Options
    I believe your looking at it all worng. Thats just how much your body burns being idle. That's what it takes for your body to basically function. You dont base the calories you consume off of that number. I look at it as just a neat little fact about myself. I dont use it for anything more.