Hello

dblackthe2nd
dblackthe2nd Posts: 4
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
First of all let me thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am 23 years old and feel it is time to get my health under control once and for all. Growing up I played football and had a horrible diet. I basically ate junk food all day and night and would consume a high amount of calories from liquid. Healthy eating was never something my parents instilled in me. Food was something you did as a family and as long as it tasted good it was on the table. Even to this day when I am in a great mood and celebrating I tend to eat bad foods. Habits are very hard to break I guess.

My weight was always under control minus a few times were I was forced to starve myself to get back down to my expected football weight. The worse this ever got was when I only ate two salads a day and only drank water for three weeks. When I went to the doctor for my physical I almost got benched because I had iron deficiency. However meeting my weight goals and staying on the varsity starting squad was more important than all of this at the time. The other problem with this was when I started college and stopped playing football and practicing 5 days a week I gained weight rapidly. Suddenly the junk food and sport drinks had a terrible toll on my body. I started college and I have been up and down weight wise ever since. Ranging anywhere from 180 to 300 pound in the past 6 years it has been frustrating and has left me with closets full of clothes too big and too small. I peaked at 300lbs last summer and in a year have got back down to the 230’s.

Though I still have a long way to go I feel healthier than ever before. This last time I lost the weight properly with diet and exercise rather than starving myself and pushing myself too hard in the gym. I want to get healthy the correct way by eating right and working out regularly but not pushing my body to far. I am a strict vegetarian now and have cut down on fats and fried foods. I jog/sprint around my neighborhood 3-4 times a week and play volleyball in a league once a week. I want to get down to 175 and stay there for good. At this point I need all the encouragement and help I can get to meet my goal!

If anybody has any tips or advice I would love to hear it.

Replies

• First of all let me thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am 23 years old and feel it is time to get my health under control once and for all. Growing up I played football and had a horrible diet. I basically ate junk food all day and night and would consume a high amount of calories from liquid. Healthy eating was never something my parents instilled in me. Food was something you did as a family and as long as it tasted good it was on the table. Even to this day when I am in a great mood and celebrating I tend to eat bad foods. Habits are very hard to break I guess.

My weight was always under control minus a few times were I was forced to starve myself to get back down to my expected football weight. The worse this ever got was when I only ate two salads a day and only drank water for three weeks. When I went to the doctor for my physical I almost got benched because I had iron deficiency. However meeting my weight goals and staying on the varsity starting squad was more important than all of this at the time. The other problem with this was when I started college and stopped playing football and practicing 5 days a week I gained weight rapidly. Suddenly the junk food and sport drinks had a terrible toll on my body. I started college and I have been up and down weight wise ever since. Ranging anywhere from 180 to 300 pound in the past 6 years it has been frustrating and has left me with closets full of clothes too big and too small. I peaked at 300lbs last summer and in a year have got back down to the 230’s.

Though I still have a long way to go I feel healthier than ever before. This last time I lost the weight properly with diet and exercise rather than starving myself and pushing myself too hard in the gym. I want to get healthy the correct way by eating right and working out regularly but not pushing my body to far. I am a strict vegetarian now and have cut down on fats and fried foods. I jog/sprint around my neighborhood 3-4 times a week and play volleyball in a league once a week. I want to get down to 175 and stay there for good. At this point I need all the encouragement and help I can get to meet my goal!

If anybody has any tips or advice I would love to hear it.
  • HollyAnnH
    HollyAnnH Posts: 81 Member
    Well it sounds like you have made the best choice....stopping all that unhealthy starvation and yoyoing. Good for you and welcome! :flowerforyou:

Just keep making healthy food choices and exercise, you will get there.
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    welcome.gif Sounds like you've made great choices over the last year. Welcome to mfp. Nice to meet you!
  • prairiemom
    prairiemom Posts: 391 Member
    Always enter your food BEFORE you eat it. That way you are the one in control.

Welcome and good luck :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.